Author Topic: Books you brag about never having read.  (Read 2045 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Books you brag about never having read.
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:37:42 PM »
Top of my list:

Dianetics.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
Re: Books you brag about never having read.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:54:32 PM »
The Quran and the Baghavad Gita. I got plenty of interminable ye olde timey lore from that other one, thanks. If I ever want the highlights, I'll google 'em.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:56:55 PM by Louie »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
The Quran and the Baghavad Gita. I got plenty of interminable ye olde timey lore from that other one, thanks. If I ever want the highlights, I'll google 'em.
Need to update those. Let's see:

"Baghavad Gita" written in Game of Thrones-style.

Grand Theft Quran.

Oh frabjous day!
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »
Half the Harry Potter books.  Walking away from shit series when it becomes clear they were really only good for a single book is a point of pride for me.  Add Wheel of Time to that list.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 02:12:31 PM »
"Baghavad Gita" written in Game of Thrones-style.

Grand Theft Quran.

Oh frabjous day!

I'll work under the assumption that Mel Brooks' The Holy Quran is off the table. Too bad.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 01:50:15 AM »
Half the Harry Potter books.  Walking away from shit series when it becomes clear they were really only good for a single book is a point of pride for me.  Add Wheel of Time to that list.

It's a weakness in me how often I find myself telling people I was unable to get past 1 2/3 books deep into Song of Ice and Fire. I don't like to think of it as bragging,  but there's no other explanation for it.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:52:24 AM »
Gravity's Rainbow.

To be fair, I like to brag that I at least gave it a sporting chance. I started reading that book on earnest recommendation from some people whose taste I madly respected.

After about 50 pages, I got the inkling I was being trolled. After 150 pages I thought to myself, "there's no way this book goes on like this for 500 more pages." So I skipped about 300 pages and read about 30 more, and sure enough, it was more of the same bullshit, only the characters had different names. Right then and there I decided I'm not going to get fooled again like I did with Naked Lunch.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
I started gravity's rainbow 2 or 3 times now. 

I've never read Of Mice and Men nor the Grapes of Wrath but I hate steinbeck for the Pearl and the Red Pony.   Man I hate those books.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 11:25:23 AM »
Gravity's Rainbow.

To be fair, I like to brag that I at least gave it a sporting chance. I started reading that book on earnest recommendation from some people whose taste I madly respected.

After about 50 pages, I got the inkling I was being trolled. After 150 pages I thought to myself, "there's no way this book goes on like this for 500 more pages." So I skipped about 300 pages and read about 30 more, and sure enough, it was more of the same bullshit, only the characters had different names. Right then and there I decided I'm not going to get fooled again like I did with Naked Lunch.

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »
I started gravity's rainbow 2 or 3 times now. 

I've never read Of Mice and Men nor the Grapes of Wrath but I hate steinbeck for the Pearl and the Red Pony.   Man I hate those books.

I really liked The Crying of Lot 49.

Several years after giving up on Gravity's Rainbow, I also tried and failed with Mason & Dixon. I've resigned myself to the opinion that Pynchon is a pretentious hipster who has lots of wild ideas but lacks the ability to plot a story or develop characters.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 06:30:04 AM »
A friend brags about reading Shakespear as a hobby. She brings it up usually at the same time as talking about how mature she is for her age.
She is a great person but it always makes me smile and remember this:

I guess some books I kinda brag about reading would be The War of the Flea because its hard to find and doing so was a small adventure, The Devils Guard because its also rare and fun to debunk (and terrifying for its influence) and and The Hardy Boys books because kids these days etc.

personate-rain