Author Topic: SKEPTIC magazine continues skepticism's descent into a dark, sad, bigoted hole  (Read 10670 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
What the hell are you on about?  You mind starting a thread about your questions instead of declaring the whole forum to be supressing opinions we haven't seen you express yet?

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
If he did that, he might have to convey more than vague, non-specific ill-will.

edit: The board's fractious as hell. Only unifies against stuff like climate denialism and 'race realism' crap.  He self-describes as on the wrong end of such unification, also uses language and framing uncommon outside the alt-right but common within the alt-right.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 01:35:47 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Yeah, if the only support you have for your grand ideas is that "everyone else hassles me about it, so it has to be right" then you are almost always full of shit.  That's not to say that someone with evidence and a persecution complex is wrong.  No, instead if that is the extent of your argument, and you have nothing else, ever, then please quaff a bucket of STFU.  You are really just a waste of time.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
I don't read Skeptic magazine.  I do listen to the Skeptics Guide. 

What I am most disturbed about in this so called skeptical forum, is that only evidence or analysis from the sources that fit a particular political bent are valid.  AGW is scientifically valid?  Beyond the claim that man-made CO2 causes increased forcing that will tend to raise the temperature, what claim is iron clad?  Is an ECS of 3.4 K iron clad?  Is the bountiful wonder of a Carbon Tax iron clad?  Global Warming seems to be the one topic that even left leaning people I would consider open to a diverse discussion (like Sam Harris or Bret Weinstein) will fall in lock step with the leftist viewpoint, apparently a religious tenet to horrible to even question.

You can't even have a discussion here.  My politically motivated analysis trumps your politically motivated analysis. 

The degree of political homogeneity and its policing by the self anointed moral police is disappointing.  Sorry I don't hover around this site in order to be considered timely with my input.
 Unintended or not, the result will be closing another hole in your Echo Chamber lest my unenlightened perspective soil the floor.  The regressive left has succumbed to the same self-serving belief in their absolute moral authority that turned many people off about the religious right.  I will leave you to swim in your ideological pool of purity and unburden your lifeguards of watching for moral degenerates like me.  Maybe Heterodox Academy will be a place where a real discussion can take place.

Just because you understand the concept of motivated reasoning doesn't mean you are immune; of course neither am I.

Okay I'll bite.

Do you want to know why we don't have serious "debates" about global warming on this forum?  Go look at the AGW subforum that was active up to a few years ago and tell us with a straight face that there was anything productive coming out of it.  That's why most of us here refuse to engage people on this topic.  It has very little to do with us being brainwashed by "leftist dogma" and everything to do with our understanding of how this (and most science forums, for that matter) operate when discussing global warming.  A handful of people, who were usually savvy enough to not officially break the moderation rules, created literally thousands of pages of utter garbage, and the rest of us had to desperately try to keep up with their avalanche of misinformation.  Seriously, spend a Sunday afternoon slogging through FX and Will Nitschke posts.  I'm sorry if you are a newer member or not very active, but the people who wasted hours and hours of their lives dealing with this shit don't owe you a fresh debate.  We had one real climate scientist (cshorey) that often had real expertise to contribute, but I think he eventually found there were other places where he preferred to spend his time.  It's also worth noting that the most infuriating members in those threads are in some respect the best that the AGW skeptic community had to offer.  They knew a lot about the topic, they had an awareness of which arguments were based on serious science and which were just idiotic talking points, and they understood how to leverage the rules and format of our forum to promote their agenda.  And they still failed to do anything other than troll.

So yes, some of us are now a little rude when it comes to that topic.  Draw whatever parallels you like to other political issues that show up here and why the left-leaning members aren't always enthusiastic about engaging people in debates.

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Yeah, if the only support you have for your grand ideas is that "everyone else hassles me about it, so it has to be right" then you are almost always full of shit.  That's not to say that someone with evidence and a persecution complex is wrong.  No, instead if that is the extent of your argument, and you have nothing else, ever, then please quaff a bucket of STFU.  You are really just a waste of time.

But they also persecuted Galileo, and he turned out to be right!

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.

I hope this is sarcasm.  If not please reread what I wrote.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline Gigabyte

• Off to a Start
  • If you believe ...
I don't understand some things

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
There is a surprising lack of getting out from under umbrellas in that gif.  Maybe it cuts off too early.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator

I was thinking the other day that the hardest thing about being a flat earther must be not being able to use the Galileo gambit.

Offline stretcher

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
I guess not matter where one goes, if there's a discussion criticizing a sexual predator or white supremacists a random champion of conservatism will pop up and

A. Claim to be the victim of oppression
B. Start screaming at everyone for being liberals

Offline Gigabyte

• Off to a Start
  • If you believe ...
I was thinking the other day that the hardest thing about being a flat earther must be not being able to use the Galileo gambit.
That's pretty funny.
I don't understand some things