Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 5510 times)

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2019, 02:44:59 AM »
I'm with this guy (well, right up to the last two paragraphs anyway). In other words, I'm a programmer who hates vi(m) (either one, and all their children, and their children's children), and have somehow never even seen emacs, to which I'm therefore 100% indifferent. For reasons explained elsewhere, I feel fine about these particular life choices. In my experience, though, we seem to be in the minority. That would be a "fine, to each his own" type of thing, were it not for the fact that, when you write code this subject pops up from time to time (including recently), and some of the people who love these editors seem to have a kind of cult-like mentality. Many of the vi extremists I've talked to appear to be convinced that using vi(m) (or, in some cases, emacs) will make one a better programmer than using an IDE, because "I can write code faster" (mostly irrelevant, given that writing lots of code is not the point of doing good programming work, and only true under some circumstances) or "I know more function names by heart" (not necessarily true, but even if it is, how exactly does that help you become a better programmer?). I don't begrudge them the use of their favorite editor, of course, but all I can say is, based on literally every interaction I've had with it (which is more than a few times, but less than a ton) I am pretty confident that vi came directly out of Satan's butthole on a day the Dark One had a bad case of food poisoning. This (just one such example) is just pure evil:

So, what languages do you program in, and what development environments or editors do you use to code in those languages?
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online stochastibot

• Off to a Start
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2019, 03:04:58 AM »
I'm with this guy (well, right up to the last two paragraphs anyway). In other words, I'm a programmer who hates vi(m) (either one, and all their children, and their children's children), and have somehow never even seen emacs, to which I'm therefore 100% indifferent. For reasons explained elsewhere, I feel fine about these particular life choices. In my experience, though, we seem to be in the minority. That would be a "fine, to each his own" type of thing, were it not for the fact that, when you write code this subject pops up from time to time (including recently), and some of the people who love these editors seem to have a kind of cult-like mentality. Many of the vi extremists I've talked to appear to be convinced that using vi(m) (or, in some cases, emacs) will make one a better programmer than using an IDE, because "I can write code faster" (mostly irrelevant, given that writing lots of code is not the point of doing good programming work, and only true under some circumstances) or "I know more function names by heart" (not necessarily true, but even if it is, how exactly does that help you become a better programmer?). I don't begrudge them the use of their favorite editor, of course, but all I can say is, based on literally every interaction I've had with it (which is more than a few times, but less than a ton) I am pretty confident that vi came directly out of Satan's butthole on a day the Dark One had a bad case of food poisoning. This (just one such example) is just pure evil:

So, what languages do you program in, and what development environments or editors do you use to code in those languages?

At the risk of offending fellow programmers, I generally use vi several times a day...

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »
I program mainly in Java and Javascript (Eclipse) and Python (mainly Pycharm). Those are largely historical accidents, though, and it's mostly a matter of familiarity. That said, I wouldn't want to code Java in a regular text editor anymore. I'm a bit less enthusiastic about javascript/python IDEs in general (not easy to make those very useful, given that they are not typed languages).

At the risk of offending fellow programmers, I generally use vi several times a day...

Many do. As long as you're not a fundamentalist about it... }|;o)
Mooohn!

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2019, 09:27:45 AM »
I program mainly in Python, and I use PyCharm from JetBrains for that purpose. For my classes, I use repl.it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
So the guy who set up our whole network and servers at work seems to have used Windows Server licenses that he purchased through his own volume licensing account, charging us for his cost, rather than creating a separate account that we would control. Now that he's gone, we have no access to our product keys, no ability to manage client licenses or pretty much anything to do with our licensing, and, as I'm just now discovering, no way to reinstall Windows Server when a hard drive failure takes out a system he never bothered to set up back up for. And with nothing in our name, Microsoft can't help us with anything except selling us new licenses. Now I'm faced with having to explain this to my boss.

So tucked away in a tiny, unused corner of our fileserver, I found two Windows Server 2012 keys.  I don't know which is the one for this server, but I'm not going to be too fussy.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Muriel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • My personal blog and homepage
« Reply #170 on: Today at 08:14:25 AM »
I believe there are command prompt / powershell commands you can use to fetch the product key from a Windows installation. I've used some of these several times before (on preinstalled computers). Just use The Google and I'm sure you'll find some (I'm too lazy to look them up for you now :P )
"Anything one man can imagine,
other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #171 on: Today at 08:44:09 AM »
I believe there are command prompt / powershell commands you can use to fetch the product key from a Windows installation. I've used some of these several times before (on preinstalled computers). Just use The Google and I'm sure you'll find some (I'm too lazy to look them up for you now :P )

There are, but those don’t work on volume-licensed copies.  They will return a key, but it is not the actual key and cannot be used to activate a new installation.

personate-rain