Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 12118 times)

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2018, 08:08:49 AM »
My key fob for my truck stopped working (ford 3 button). This just opens the door. I changed the battery still no luck. Bought 2 new ones on ebay for 5 dollars. Went to reprogram the 2 new ones and just for grins reprogram the old one too. Now they all work.  Not sure why the original one stopped working.

When the battery in a fob gets "low", it can sometimes mess with the programming.   

I did not know that
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2018, 01:00:28 PM »
Need to take my car in for some suspension work.  Fortunately, I had the whole suspension replaced with a lifetime warranty, so I should be good.

I need to replace my cat as well. I should be able to do that myself, as it’s bolt-on.  But they aren’t cheap.

And now an airbag light is on, which probably means diagnostics that can only be done at the dealership.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »
Need to take my car in for some suspension work.  Fortunately, I had the whole suspension replaced with a lifetime warranty, so I should be good.

I need to replace my cat as well. I should be able to do that myself, as it’s bolt-on.  But they aren’t cheap.

And now an airbag light is on, which probably means diagnostics that can only be done at the dealership.

I would check some websites because they give what the flashing codes for airbags are for many cars and what solutions are.
My experience with dealers and airbags is that the charge money while not doing crap.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »

Cat? Catalytic converter?

Or maybe get a dog?
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »
I went to Walmart today to get two new front tires for the 1991 Mustang.
They were badly dry rotted.
The previous owner put 195/55R15 on the front and 235/55R15 on the rear.

One of the recommended sizes was 205/65R15.
Was going to do the front this week and wait a few weeks to do the rears.
They would not just change the front, claiming safety issue.
Not finding any real support for that.

Ended up going to a used tire shop where I got 195/65R15 all around.
Four used tires was about the same as two new but they only had one 205/65R15.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2018, 12:50:04 AM »
The old give the headlights a quick spuce up with toothpaste trick....

Before

After

Could probably use another going over but they look way better now. Put a little wax on after I was done.

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2018, 01:30:22 AM »
Looks good Alex
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »
Can’t see your photo, Alex.  What’s your technique with the toothpaste?  I’ve tried special buffing compound before but found it hasn’t really fixed my issue.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2018, 04:36:23 PM »
Can’t see your photo, Alex.  What’s your technique with the toothpaste?  I’ve tried special buffing compound before but found it hasn’t really fixed my issue.
Photos appear on my feed OK.

Nothing special "technique" wise.

Wash the lamps
Smear toothpaste over lamp surface
Stick micro fibre cloth onto random orbital sander (holds fast onto sander's velcro like base)
Run sander over the lights
Wash the lamps and dry
Bit of wax and buff. I only have a spray on wax, think I'd prefer a regular tin of car wax.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2018, 04:43:53 PM »
Here's alternative links:

Before:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6EAujTaBvMXXwoxR7

After:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rtgv3XNHWGWNNqBr5

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »
I once had a car with a headlamp chamber that would collect rainwater - somehow the water would get in there and get up to about half way up the lens - it was really weird - and only on one side.  I couldn't figure out how it got in there, so I didn't know how to stop it.  But I wound up just drilling a little weep hole in the bottom to let it run out.

Amend and resubmit.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2018, 05:26:26 PM »
In my experience, when the problem is hotlink protection the poster often doesn’t know because the images are in his cache.

I don’t have an orbital sander, but I do have an oscillating multitool that would probably work as well.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2018, 08:21:16 PM »
TIL about the "Italian Tune-Up". I have doing basically only urban driving for the past four months, and was having sluggishness and misfire codes. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup)

I also learned about "gear pulls", and that my Kia redlines in 1st at ~45 MPH and can go 75 MPH in 2nd...

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »
In my experience, when the problem is hotlink protection the poster often doesn’t know because the images are in his cache.
I was confused as another had viewed them OK. The google photo links are ridiculously long though.

I don’t have an orbital sander, but I do have an oscillating multitool that would probably work as well.
I saw one video where they used a Dremel with a soft buffing attachment. They did say to make sure it was on a low speed setting.
Others simply used a toothbrush.

There are UV protection coatings you can get to apply.

Some differences probably in what you should do depending if lights are glass or plastic. Mine are glass. I saw a plastic lens treatment where they used varying and increasing grades of wet & dry paper to clean and then smooth the lens and then apply a UV clear coat spray on.

Don't know how long it will last. It was what i call a quick and dirty lazy man's approach. I had a professional treatment done about 4 years ago and they looked really good then but eventually it yellowed up again.

New replacement lights are $250 on ebay plus fitting which may not be something I can do, not sure.
$1 of toothpaste and tools I already had seemed a reasonable interim measure.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
I believe my lenses are polycarbonate.  I used a commercial paste and microfiber cloths with some success a while back.

The worry with an oscillating multitool is that its vibration pattern is fixed in an arc, as opposed to the random movement of an orbital sander.  It therefore has the danger of leaving scratches in an arc-shaped pattern.  I might give it a try in a concealed corner of the lens first.

personate-rain