Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 19824 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2018, 12:34:57 AM »
They raked you over the coals. . .I could probably get 4 tires with everything for under 300 easy.

Well I picked the tires from reviews and brand experience - so maybe you'd pick cheaper ones - and I probably should've noticed and refused that tire protection plan thing.  Otherwise... what would your invoice look like?

Amend and resubmit.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2018, 02:50:22 PM »
I do tend to buy a less expressive tire but I am not really go after that.
The mounting and balancing looks like it is too much - Should be maybe $12 per tire.
The all wheel alignment is likely a lie - I had a mechanic shop try to sell me an all wheel alignment when only my front wheels can be aligned. Also, what your car acting like it needed an alignment?
Many years ago I bought a tire protection plan - They try to find ways as to not honor it as well as they deductible fees make you almost pay the cost of a new tire anyway.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
I do tend to buy a less expressive tire but I am not really go after that.
The mounting and balancing looks like it is too much - Should be maybe $12 per tire.
The all wheel alignment is likely a lie - I had a mechanic shop try to sell me an all wheel alignment when only my front wheels can be aligned. Also, what your car acting like it needed an alignment?
Many years ago I bought a tire protection plan - They try to find ways as to not honor it as well as they deductible fees make you almost pay the cost of a new tire anyway.

Alignment:  They gave me a readout of before and after measurements with specified values of toe, camber, etc.  All four wheels.  A few were out of spec and adjusted.  I don't know that it was causing any problems - maybe uneven wear, no noticeable driving issue.  Also said I can come back in 6-months for a free re-check... that might be interesting.

I'm kicking myself for not noticing the "protection plan"... but other than that I think I did OK.  The dealer has a neat calculator to determine total price - they charge more per tire and include the service/flat plan.  $580 plus tax installed - same tires, no mention of alignment or other fees.

Anyway, I feel better informed for future tire purchases... which won't be for a really long time.  These guys make it so damned hard to compare.  Maybe I can help someone else before they buy.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2018, 05:10:27 PM »
My tire dealer includes an alignment free with the purchase of four tires. Mounting and balancing is $12/tire (with free lifetime rotation).  Taxes and the disposal fee are standard and unavoidable.

But merely changing the tires does not create a need for an alignment; if your car is tracking okay and tire wear is even, there’s no real reason to suspect alignment is needed. 
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2018, 08:57:13 PM »
A small note is that there is almost certainly videos online on how to replace the battery in your fob and batteries should be like $3 each, assuming it is one of those CR series batteries.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2018, 09:20:12 PM »
A small note is that there is almost certainly videos online on how to replace the battery in your fob and batteries should be like $3 each, assuming it is one of those CR series batteries.

Sure, but $10-15 is not an unusual fee for replacing such a battery for those who are not comfortable doing it themselves. Jewelers usually charge about that for changing watch batteries.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »

Sure, but $10-15 is not an unusual fee for replacing such a battery for those who are not comfortable doing it themselves. Jewelers usually charge about that for changing watch batteries.

That is why it is a small note, something to remember for the future

Biggest things I see they got Angel with is the alignment and the tire protection package - Never found the tire package really worth it.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2018, 10:46:28 PM »

I was assuming it needed to be programmed and required manufacturer's software
.. nope, just a button cell.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »
I ordered 2 key fobs from ebay for like 10 dollars. Looked on line on how to program them. It was real easy. Just an FYI for next time.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2018, 11:22:23 AM »
I ordered 2 key fobs from ebay for like 10 dollars. Looked on line on how to program them. It was real easy. Just an FYI for next time.

Proximity keys or just remote locking keys?

Amend and resubmit.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #235 on: November 15, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »

Proximity keys or just remote locking keys?

Sorry I wrote key fobs but ment a remote locking key. Not sure if you can code those on your own.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #236 on: November 15, 2018, 10:17:01 PM »
For some cars, you need one remote to be able to program another.
Mine, a 2001 Mustang, you can do it just with the car.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #237 on: November 15, 2018, 10:34:56 PM »
Pair of Firestone 14" tires for my car, rated for 65k miles, about $175. No alignment or anything extra. They told me it's an unusual and nigh-deprecated tire size.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #238 on: November 16, 2018, 12:17:20 AM »
Pair of Firestone 14" tires for my car, rated for 65k miles, about $175. No alignment or anything extra. They told me it's an unusual and nigh-deprecated tire size.

Somewhere around that range is what I pay for mine as well.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #239 on: November 23, 2018, 03:09:10 PM »
I got back the white 1991 Mustang and replaced the fuel filter.
Seems to be running fine except when I first start it.
Seems to bog down if I try to drive but within a quarter mile acts fine.
Wondering if I should replace its O2 sensor?

Otherwise, I also order a set of Husky mats for it as well.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain