Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 20205 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2019, 12:09:08 AM »
When my wife had her oil changed at the dealership they told her her brakes needed replacing soon.  And when I had my tires replaced last week they told me that my left rear pads were wearing significantly faster than the right and were 'almost metal to metal.'  So today we went to my father-in-law's house to use his lift.  Put my wife's car up, removed the tires, and inspected all of the pads.  They all had at least 6 mm left.

Mine were a different story: my left rear pad was down to about 3 mm, while my right one was at 9-10mm.  I have no idea what could be causing this difference in wear.  As far as I can tell, nothing is hung up. I replaced that caliper last summer (when I replaced the pads).  The e-brake is working fine.  There doesn't seem to be any reason for my left pads to be wearing three times as fast as my right ones.

Anyway, I replaced the pads with some mid-range ones since I'm not sure how long I'll keep the car.  My plan is not to replace the suspension, but to rotate the tires frequently to try to make them last as long as possible while I figure out what I'm going to do next.

Meanwhile, my jury-rigged exhaust is holding up.  I can live without central locking working. My AC noise (probably caused by vacuum leak, not blower as I initially thought) is annoying but not affecting function, and I've got another 16 months on the emissions before I have to figure out what's causing that -- and hopefully I'll have traded it before that.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2019, 12:58:39 AM »
Got my new headlamps fitted today, along with front driver side CV boot replacement.

Have to wait until tonight before getting a chance to try the lights out, but they look great.

Found someone who can respray the bonnet for a reasonable price. I have clear coat coming away and I just want to nip that issue in the bud.

I'll be thinking about shock absorber replacement at some stage too.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #272 on: July 01, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »
Had to change a burnt out headlamp in a Prius.  Took over two hours. Could not get my hand into the tiny space. The only option seemed to be to remove the entire headlight assembly which meant loosening and taking apart a good part of the bumper and the plastic engine shielding underneath. This shouldn't be so difficult.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #273 on: July 01, 2019, 06:34:21 PM »
The water pump on my 1999 Ford Ranger broke yesterday and worked on replacing it today.  I really hate removing the original hose clamps - I don't have the special tool but instead used needle  nose pliers. Replaced them with the ones that tighten with a screw type set where you use a screwdriver or 8 mm socket to tighten.  Everything otherwise  seems to come apart relatively easily and was able to get everything back together reasonable well as well. Luckily, I watched  YouTube video that showed the best way to get a pipe that goes into the water pump relatively easily. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #274 on: July 01, 2019, 07:27:46 PM »
Latinist I would bleed the brakes. Maybe you have a little bit of air on the one side. Its just a guess but it can't hurt.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #275 on: July 01, 2019, 07:44:51 PM »
Hmm.  Worth a try, I guess.  I bled the left one when I changed the caliper, but I haven’t touched the right.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #276 on: July 01, 2019, 10:22:12 PM »
Hmm.  Worth a try, I guess.  I bled the left one when I changed the caliper, but I haven’t touched the right.

Might as well do the whole system to make sure.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #277 on: July 01, 2019, 11:47:40 PM »
Last year, I had to replace a rear brake line in a jeep I have.
Was able to drain driver side front and both rear brakes.
The nipple to the front passenger side broke however.
Could not get the brake light to go off.
Ended up replacing that caliper and was able to get the brake light off.   
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2019, 01:45:26 AM »
The new headlights are amazing. The difference in illumination is substantial.

Bonnet respray tomorrow. Clear coat coming away, no doubt due to years of stone damage.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #279 on: July 28, 2019, 11:17:48 PM »
I got my car's engine scanned. Turns out the scanner I bought online couldn't read it. But I found a shop with one. Sure enough, the check engine light isn't active and OBD-II works, but it's 90s dialect.

I also got my first refill after I first got it. I was driving it somewhere between lead foot and Italian tune-up, and somehow managed to get almost 24 MPG. I'm guessing that means coasting makes a difference, I was still being cateful since its a heavier vehicle than I'm used to, not so much revving the engine.

Still need new tires. Found out the car has 215/70R15 even though 205 is the stock size. Tire shop says 215 is preferable, due to being more common.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:32:47 PM by stands2reason »

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2019, 10:11:47 PM »
Unfortunately one of the wheel bearing on my car seem to be bad. Drove my backup car to work for the moment. Ordered new ones from online because they are half the cost of those at Autozone but going to be a few days. Looks like it is going to relatively straight forward after watching a video on replacing them.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2019, 11:13:59 PM »
Do you need a special tool to replace those?  Mine are pressed in.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #282 on: August 04, 2019, 08:28:10 AM »

What car do you have? I've never seen wheel bearings pressed in.
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #283 on: August 04, 2019, 12:43:59 PM »

A once use lock nut that needs to be tightened to 221 ft-lbs
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #284 on: August 04, 2019, 02:16:31 PM »
Volkswagen. 

What car do you have? I've never seen wheel bearings pressed in.

Volkswagen Mk. V Golf / Rabbit.  VW’s have had pressed-in bearings as long as I can remember.

personate-rain
personate-rain