Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 21236 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2019, 03:01:17 PM »
Volkswagen. 
Do you need a special tool to replace those?  Mine are pressed in.

What car do you have? I've never seen wheel bearings pressed in.

Volkswagen Mk. V Golf / Rabbit.  VW’s have had pressed-in bearings as long as I can remember.

This is what I need. . . .I can get a pair of them online for less than teh cost of one locally.
https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-front/duralast-wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-dl513115/972619_934173_22589
Also replacing my rotors at the same time and ordering them as well from online
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #286 on: August 04, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
Volkswagen. 
Do you need a special tool to replace those?  Mine are pressed in.

What car do you have? I've never seen wheel bearings pressed in.

Volkswagen Mk. V Golf / Rabbit.  VW’s have had pressed-in bearings as long as I can remember.

Ahh I never pulled a VW apart before. I own a Jetta so something to keep in mind. Thanks
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #287 on: August 04, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »
No problem.  I understand you can get a special tool to press it out/in, though I've never tried myself.  There's also an internal snap ring on the outside, so you'll need some snap-ring pliers as well.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #288 on: August 05, 2019, 02:25:29 PM »
Never rains, it pours

My roommate got the Ranger I bought last year inspected.  All four ball joints have to be replaced. Watched about four YouTube videos and looks doable. I will likely need a hand and of course my roommate doesn't really want to help me and wants to call a mechanic that will want to charge several hundred in labor.

Agin, the parts are $70 on eBay and $200+ at Autozone.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #289 on: August 05, 2019, 05:47:23 PM »
so apparently a tiny stepper motor in my A/C is dying.  It costs like 15$ to replace but is in such an annoying area that my mechanic says it's a 2 day fix.  This is causing flakey response to the vent controls.  It works sometimes, sometimes not.

I googled and this seems to be both a common problem in my model and also the 2 day fix estimate seems legit based on what i read on various forums. 

But even when it doesnt work, the front defroster and side vents seem to work, which is good enough, so I am probably just never going to fix it. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #290 on: August 05, 2019, 06:07:53 PM »
How much is he saying for labor?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #291 on: August 05, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »
How much is he saying for labor?

about 950 was the estimate.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #292 on: August 05, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »
Yeah, I’ve got a similar issue in my vents; noisy and not shifting between modes properly. The whole dash would have to come out to fix it, and as it’s mostly working even with the noise, I’m going to ignore it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #293 on: August 05, 2019, 11:03:17 PM »
This is not a car repair but I was looking to get my motorcycle a tune up, it will take about 4hrs at $110 hr shop rate plus parts. So I'm looking at $440 at least. This will include carb sync, brake fluid change and valve adjustment etc. I have done the valve adjustment before but, the brake fluid change I have never done and can get involved. The carb sync I can borrow a vacuum gauge from a friend. It will take me all day to do this I'm just debating if I want to spend the money or just do it myself. I don't really have the time now and I don't want to spend the money. The bike is a BMW R1150R. 2001.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #294 on: August 06, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »
This is not a car repair but I was looking to get my motorcycle a tune up, it will take about 4hrs at $110 hr shop rate plus parts. So I'm looking at $440 at least. This will include carb sync, brake fluid change and valve adjustment etc. I have done the valve adjustment before but, the brake fluid change I have never done and can get involved. The carb sync I can borrow a vacuum gauge from a friend. It will take me all day to do this I'm just debating if I want to spend the money or just do it myself. I don't really have the time now and I don't want to spend the money. The bike is a BMW R1150R. 2001.

My motorcycling years are now behind me but I have some sympathy for you! I had five bikes over those years, and although my greatest excitement and adventures were early on with my "starter bike", my last bike was EFI and I cannot count the number of headaches and frustrations that solved.

Obviously the "worth it" element has to do with your financial resources and how you feel about spending your free time. Several of my fellow riders would view working on the bike as a form of recreation, horizon-expanding, and so forth.

Balancing the carbs - I remember building a tool to help me do that on my Ninja 500r. Involved tubing and some gatorade bottles, something like that. But I think I backed off from doing it because I read how easily some very thin gasket could be dislodged or pinched in the process, so it was a high-risk, low-reward sort of thing. I think I also read that if the carbs are truly unbalanced, you'd know it - there would be symptoms at idle or something like that. I forget the specifics. Point is, I justified to myself skipping it, or at least, not doing it myself.

Brake fluid change I never did myself (had the shop do it), but a friend of mine did, and as I recall, you can acquire a helpful brake bleeder tool if you have to do it yourself. Ideally though, find a friend to lend a hand, so you can concentrate on pouring in fresh fluid and having the friend pump it through the system until the dirty stuff is all gone.

Lastly, the one time I checked valves, they were still in tolerance after maybe 10k miles. So I didn't actually have to get into the screw and locknut dance. On my bike, it was pretty easy to check them. YMMV. Do you have shim under bucket?

If you have a BMW, I think you should expect maintenance to be comprehensive and expensive. $110/hr doesn't seem that outrageous to me ... several years ago my local HD dealer was charging about that, IIRC. If there was anything at which to raise an eyebrow, it's the number of hours they estimate to do it. Seems high for just those 3 things, but it could be a value they just enter as default.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »
My motorcycling years are now behind me but I have some sympathy for you! I had five bikes over those years, and although my greatest excitement and adventures were early on with my "starter bike", my last bike was EFI and I cannot count the number of headaches and frustrations that solved.

Maybe it's because I was born in the 90's, but I do not ever want to deal with a carburetor engine, and I'm glad I don't have to.

I was parked in the public street parking that's frequented by RV's & travelers. And one morning, there was this guy that was in a really old RV. Meaning, old enough to have a carb'd engine. And he had to sit there and fast idle it at just the right throttle for like fifteen minutes for it to warm it up so he could drive it. I figured I was going to hear him kill the battery, considering how many times he had to restart the engine. I know that thing was out of state, because it wasn't going to pass an emissions test.

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »

Me too. Fuel injection is the best. I owned a Honda Saber a few years back and if I hadn't started it in a month I needed starter fluid to get it going.

Balancing the carbs - I remember building a tool to help me do that on my Ninja 500r. Involved tubing and some gatorade bottles, something like that

I used to have a vacuumed gauge set up just for that. It worked pretty good. I haven't used it in years and I don't know where it is. On twin carb bikes I used to just go by feel with my hand on the exhaust. If it felt the same I was ok with it.

Brake fluid change I never did myself (had the shop do it), but a friend of mine did, and as I recall, you can acquire a helpful brake bleeder tool if you have to do it yourself. Ideally though, find a friend to lend a hand, so you can concentrate on pouring in fresh fluid and having the friend pump it through the system until the dirty stuff is all gone.

I have changed brake fluid on cars all the time. I have never done a bike before. It just seemed to cumbersome. I know my BMW with anti lock brakes is a bit involved. It's not just bleeding it through the reservoir.  That is going to take some research.

Lastly, the one time I checked valves, they were still in tolerance after maybe 10k miles. So I didn't actually have to get into the screw and locknut dance. On my bike, it was pretty easy to check them. YMMV. Do you have shim under bucket?

I have done the valves on the bike a lot. Once you do them it's not that big of deal. The R1150R is very sensitive to valve adjustment. So I try to get them exact and at least once or twice a year depending on how many miles I do. No shims just a feeler gauge and a wrench to adjust the gap.

Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2019, 05:48:21 PM »
I finished the bearings of my 2001 Mustang. Ended up getting all the parts online. Replaced the rotors and brakes as well. Took about 3.5 hours to do two of them. Getting brake pads back on is almost more of an art than a science. Need to work on the 1999  Ranger ball joints tomorrow. After that, check the transmission of the 1991 Mustang which is suppose to be my backup car. I am hoping that I can just replace the filter and put Transmission Honey to allow her to shift.  Suddenly doesn't like shifting until the transmission has warmed up. Other option is getting a used one from the junk yard or rebuilding it.

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline BilLumberg

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #298 on: August 08, 2019, 06:59:07 PM »
I can try and help with the '91 mustang transmission problem. What engine does it have? 4cyl and V8 use different transmissions.

How long does it need to run before it starts shifting?

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #299 on: August 08, 2019, 07:28:20 PM »
2.3 liter (4 cyl)

It is more a case that if I drive it for a while, a few miles, that it starts shifting properly.
It will shift while cold but will tend to jump in its shifting, not smooth shifting.

Wish I knew how to rebuild transmissions
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain