Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 14633 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
Follow up on the purge solenoid: filled the gas tank today and started the car without incident.  Still no large leak code.  That seems to have done the trick.  Time will tell if it fails again because of a saturated canister, but for now I'm happy.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
Follow up on the purge solenoid: filled the gas tank today and started the car without incident.  Still no large leak code.  That seems to have done the trick.  Time will tell if it fails again because of a saturated canister, but for now I'm happy.

Another good reason not to top off your tank
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 09:14:39 PM »

Yeah, I never top off for that reason.  But the car and canister are now 11 years old...
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »

Yeah, I never top off for that reason.  But the car and canister are now 11 years old...

Me too. I quit topping off about a year ago for that same reason.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »
Curious, how many tools and car supplies do you carry in your car?
I have socket set, hydraulic jack (hate those jacks with the car), blanket, wrenches, four way lug wrench, tire patch kit, air pump, fuses, screwdrivers, pliers,  vice grips, and rubber hammer. Also carry extra oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, and anti-freeze.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
What no duct tape?
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 09:28:15 PM »
I carry the following:

1. A small tool kit containing interchangeable screw/socket driver, locking pliers, etc.
2. 20' 6AWG jumper cables
3. Assorted fuses
4. My full-sized spare tire, tire iron, and the jack.
5. Tire gauge and 12-volt DC compressor
6. Flares

I also belong to AAA.

In the winter I keep a blanket and some extra warm clothes in my car.

ETA: when my sister bought her first car, I bought her a set of heavy-duty jumper cables.  She called me up last month to tell me it was the best gift she'd ever gotten. Yep, she'd left her lights on.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:31:58 PM by The Latinist »

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 06:48:15 AM »
Yes I have a set of Jumper cables too. . . Forgot to mention that. Used to keep a booster pack in the car as well but it died and never bothered to replace it.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2017, 08:34:01 AM »
Yes I have a set of Jumper cables too. . . Forgot to mention that. Used to keep a booster pack in the car as well but it died and never bothered to replace it.

I find that there's always someone willing to give a boost as long as you've got the cables.

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2017, 11:36:29 AM »

I find that there's always someone willing to give a boost as long as you've got the cables.

Jumper cables should be standard equipment when you buy a car. Like a spare tire.
Douglas Adams

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2017, 01:17:52 PM »

Jumper cables should be standard equipment when you buy a car. Like a spare tire.

The last 3 cars I've bought didn't have spare tires, but they did come with 'run flat' tires. So I wasn't too upset, although maybe I should be.

#non-belief denialist

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Have to replace the rear windshield wiper on my car.  The nut cracked broke the arm at the base.  Hardest part is going to be getting what's left of the nut off the spline; it's corroded on there pretty well.  I've got penetrating oil on it right now, and I picked up a special wiper pull tool in case it's necessary in the end.  OEM arm and cover from ECS Tuning will be cheaper than aftermarket from the parts store, and they'd have to order it anyway.

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »
Have to replace the rear windshield wiper on my car.  The nut cracked broke the arm at the base.  Hardest part is going to be getting what's left of the nut off the spline; it's corroded on there pretty well.  I've got penetrating oil on it right now, and I picked up a special wiper pull tool in case it's necessary in the end.  OEM arm and cover from ECS Tuning will be cheaper than aftermarket from the parts store, and they'd have to order it anyway.

Try heat on it. Might help.
Douglas Adams

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 05:13:17 PM »
I was changing my brake fluid in my truck. I have a power bleeder and it works great. Well I was trying to loosen the bleeder screw on the caliper(Disc brakes on all 4 wheels) and like always the bastards were frozen. I got them all unfrozen except the left rear. Well I snapped the bleeder off. I got an easy out but it wouldn't budge. I tried to put heat and penetrating oil on it. No luck. So I took the caliper off and put it in a vise and got a bigger easy-out and was finally able to break it loose. Replaced the bleeder screw and put some anti-seize on the bleeder and put it back together. I figured since I had the brake apart and the brakes were getting close I figured I might as well change the brakes. That wasn't to bad. Disc brakes are so much easier to change then drum. I hope next time I have to do this I don't have this much of an issue.
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 05:16:25 PM »

Try heat on it. Might help.

I will if I have to, but I'm worried about the rubber parts nearby and that contact the drive shaft.

personate-rain
personate-rain