Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 22552 times)

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
ETA: when my sister bought her first car, I bought her a set of heavy-duty jumper cables.  She called me up last month to tell me it was the best gift she'd ever gotten. Yep, she'd left her lights on.

I am now the proud owner of a new set of jumper cables for that very reason.  It was raining when I left my house and by the time I'd gotten to work it had cleared off. Sat there all day with the lights on. everybody but our maintenance tech had gone home, and he didn't have any either. We made a run to wal-mart and I got me some fancy 6AWG 20' foot cables.

Do Honda's now have a dinger when you leave your lights on? apparently with my model you can buy a certain "beeper" from Radio Shack and somehow plug it into your fuse panel. It doesn't happen to me often enough to have gone to the trouble.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
Cars should turn their lights off at most five minutes after the key is removed from the ignition.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
Cars should turn their lights off at most five minutes after the key is removed from the ignition.

I agree
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 06:09:08 PM »
Can I retro fit that on a '94 Honda Civic? half the time it doesn't even beep at me when I leave my key in the ignition and open the door. I've locked myself out of my car more than once.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »
My shiny coating on my steering wheel is worn and the softer material beneath is starting to crumble.  I've ordered a stitch-on leather wrap from Amazon which should arrive this afternoon. Hopefully that will keep the padding from completely disintegrating. I'll try to get a couple of pictures during the lacing process and of the finished product.

My rear wiper is scheduled to arrive Tuesday.  Forgot about the holiday.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »
My shiny coating on my steering wheel is worn and the softer material beneath is starting to crumble.  I've ordered a stitch-on leather wrap from Amazon which should arrive this afternoon. Hopefully that will keep the padding from completely disintegrating. I'll try to get a couple of pictures during the lacing process and of the finished product.

My rear wiper is scheduled to arrive Tuesday.  Forgot about the holiday.

Kind of ironic because I recently got a steering wheel cover for basically the same reason you ordered one. I went to eBay however.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »
Here are some images of the wheel wrap project.  Took a lot longer than I had hoped because I had to learn the best technique for tightening, undoing several sections in the process.  It didn't come out too badly in the end, but I think I could do it better if I did it again now.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »
Mine I had to roll onto the steering wheel because it is not a lace up type.

It actually was quite to fight to get it on there but firmly in place in spite of not being laced onto the wheel.

Edit: I do have a question for you. I bought some floor mats a couple of years ago and the driver side one is basically wrecked. How well do the solid rubber ones hold up?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:28:50 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2017, 03:33:16 PM »
Mine I had to roll onto the steering wheel because it is not a lace up type.

I don't think I could stand the extra bulk of such a wrap.  Certainly it would have been easier to install, though.

Edit: I do have a question for you. I bought some floor mats a couple of years ago and the driver side one is basically wrecked. How well do the solid rubber ones hold up?

I've had the monster mats for eleven years--since I bought the car.  About 2 years ago I noticed the tread started to break off on the driver's mat, but it's still watertight.  They weren't cheap, but I think they are worth it.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
I don't think I could stand the extra bulk of such a wrap.  Certainly it would have been easier to install, though.

Took me just a few minutes to get used to the extra bulk. I wish I could show you what the steering wheel looked like before I put the cover on because it was badly degrading. Too much work to take off and put back on again to bother though  :)

I've had the monster mats for eleven years--since I bought the car.  About 2 years ago I noticed the tread started to break off on the driver's mat, but it's still watertight.  They weren't cheap, but I think they are worth it.

"Monster Mats" are VW only?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »

Yeah, it's VW's marketing term for the heavy rubber all-weather floor mats.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »

I think Husky might be what I need to look for. . . .$70 for a front pair.
Too bad that I cannot just get the drivers side.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »

I think Husky might be what I need to look for. . . .$70 for a front pair.
Too bad that I cannot just get the drivers side.

I think the most important thing is that they be fitted to your make and model.  I've had horrible luck with generic cut-to-fit ones.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 04:06:29 PM »
Been trying to do searches both on Amazon and eBay. They go stupid on me. Either they filter for every single car part available for my car or when I search for mats, they don't filter by car. After you click on something that you like the price,  they tell you that it does not fit  ???

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2017, 07:22:32 PM »
Looks good Latinist
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

personate-rain