Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 22568 times)

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2017, 08:11:49 PM »
Rag tops are easy, as long as you take it slowly and make sure to hit the mounting points dead on. It's like putting a fitted sheet on a bed; if you are short on one corner, then the entire thing is off-kilter. If you are not sure, then take the new top to the body shop and let them change it out for you.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2017, 03:38:46 AM »
Rag tops are easy, as long as you take it slowly and make sure to hit the mounting points dead on. It's like putting a fitted sheet on a bed; if you are short on one corner, then the entire thing is off-kilter. If you are not sure, then take the new top to the body shop and let them change it out for you.

I am competent to do most reasonable repairs. Some major repairs I do have trouble with but it does not sound like it is truly major.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »
A Rag Top replacement is easy. Installing one for the first time is harder; putting on the attachment fittings, drilling holes, lining up things that will be under strain once installed, etc, is much harder.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2017, 02:55:39 AM »
Question with car stereos.

I replaced the car stereo in my main car with one that is a cd player with a blutooth receiver. I have used the cd player once but mostly just use the blutooth.

Considering for the new car I want to get and the jeep getting radios with no cd player but just blutooth? Thoughts? They are only about $20. Second, should I get two different brands if I do to avoid conflict issues?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
I haven't used the CD player in my car in years.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if I've still got some disks in there.

I'm not sure what you mean about "conflict issues."  Could you explain what you're worried about?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »
I was driving the Jeep and found that I had a Great Courses CD in it  >:D

It may be a nothing that I am worried about with conflicts. Being that I am having trouble articulating the issue it is probably even more likely.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »
You can get a separate multi-disk player that installs in the trunk, later, as long as you shop for a head unit that provides for expansion.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2017, 02:54:45 AM »
You can get a separate multi-disk player that installs in the trunk, later, as long as you shop for a head unit that provides for expansion.

Why bother these days when a cell phone can hold thousands of albums?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »

If you have the right radio. My wife's VW has blue tooth and it is excellent for playing off a phone. As soon as you get in the car it picks up where you left off.
My truck does not have blue tooth so I have to plug it in to play through the radio. It's a pain but it works.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »

If you have the right radio. My wife's VW has blue tooth and it is excellent for playing off a phone. As soon as you get in the car it picks up where you left off.
My truck does not have blue tooth so I have to plug it in to play through the radio. It's a pain but it works.
I had an after market bluetooth system fitted to my car many years ago - it connects with the existing stereo (plus they add a roof mic and small controller for some basic functions when managing calls or when managing music) and means I can play music / podcasts etc on my phone through the car's existing stereo, as well as make/receive hands free phone calls as well as use Siri. Cost a few hundred $. I don't think the CD player has ever had a CD in it.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2017, 03:55:54 PM »
My 2006 Rabbit doesn’t have Bluetooth, of course.  I use a Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth to FM speakerphone and streaming solution. I get FM quality streaming, which is good enough for my use, especially sinc eIm mostly listening to podcasts these days.

My next car will have CarPlay.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2017, 02:29:48 AM »
I had an after market bluetooth system fitted to my car many years ago - it connects with the existing stereo (plus they add a roof mic and small controller for some basic functions when managing calls or when managing music) and means I can play music / podcasts etc on my phone through the car's existing stereo, as well as make/receive hands free phone calls as well as use Siri. Cost a few hundred $. I don't think the CD player has ever had a CD in it.

You can now get a CD player / bluetooth care stereo for $40 to $50 and one with just the bluetooth for around $20.

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
Anybody know how accurate/reliable those tire pressure indicator lights are? It seems that once it gets down to below 10F for a while the light comes on, and I just wonder how sensitive they are. If I put air in the tire to turn off the light, how over inflated is it going to be when it get back above freezing?
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2017, 05:42:36 PM »
Anybody know how accurate/reliable those tire pressure indicator lights are? It seems that once it gets down to below 10F for a while the light comes on, and I just wonder how sensitive they are. If I put air in the tire to turn off the light, how over inflated is it going to be when it get back above freezing?

Your manual will say at what level the TPMS will light. There are so many different systems that it’s impossible to make a general statement about it.

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2017, 08:21:12 PM »
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

personate-rain