Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 22548 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2017, 01:33:31 AM »
Anybody know how accurate/reliable those tire pressure indicator lights are? It seems that once it gets down to below 10F for a while the light comes on, and I just wonder how sensitive they are. If I put air in the tire to turn off the light, how over inflated is it going to be when it get back above freezing?
Given volume and amount of molecules of air in the tyre doesn't change, then the pressure increase will be proportional to the rise in absolute temperature (i.e temperature above absolute zero).

e.g. increase temp from 10F to 70F, converting to Kelvin
10F = 261K
70F = 294K

The tyre air pressure will rise by (294-261)/261 = 12.6%

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2017, 08:05:43 AM »
With the "Check Engine" light, I will get a code once in a while, sometimes the same code and other times different codes. Just got one today but think it is because of the cold. If I get it again in a short period of time, they I will start looking at a cause.

I was thinking though that if you took your car to the shop every time you get a "Check Engine" light, they would rake you over the coals in terms of cost. Seems like you really need to have a reader yourself and have to make your own judgement calls.

Thoughts?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »
With the "Check Engine" light, I will get a code once in a while, sometimes the same code and other times different codes. Just got one today but think it is because of the cold. If I get it again in a short period of time, they I will start looking at a cause.

I was thinking though that if you took your car to the shop every time you get a "Check Engine" light, they would rake you over the coals in terms of cost. Seems like you really need to have a reader yourself and have to make your own judgement calls.

Thoughts?

Having a reader is helpful.  A lot of times the fix is something simple you can do on your own (e.g. changing a filter or cleaning a part).  I've learned a lot using a reader, YouTube, and repair manuals.

Not helping the situation since 1979.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »
I second getting a reader.  I’ll post later the Little WiFi reader I’ve got that works perfectly and gives all kinds of details.  I’ve changed O2 sensors and the canister purge valve myself because of codesmyself.  Very worthwhile investment of less than $20.

One thing to remember is that the CEL is actually an emissions light.  It’s not about a malfunction in the engine that’s going to cause imminent failure or anything, but a failure in the emissions control system; while it sometimes indicates a problem that if left unfixed could affect the engine, usually it’s just a problem with the evaporative recovery system.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:51:39 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2017, 11:13:27 AM »
Anybody know how accurate/reliable those tire pressure indicator lights are? It seems that once it gets down to below 10F for a while the light comes on, and I just wonder how sensitive they are. If I put air in the tire to turn off the light, how over inflated is it going to be when it get back above freezing?
Given volume and amount of molecules of air in the tyre doesn't change, then the pressure increase will be proportional to the rise in absolute temperature (i.e temperature above absolute zero).

e.g. increase temp from 10F to 70F, converting to Kelvin
10F = 261K
70F = 294K

The tyre air pressure will rise by (294-261)/261 = 12.6%

Thanks you guys, I'll take a look at the manual and then find my pressure gauge, and fill the tires until the temps rise a little and then back them off if I need to.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2017, 01:33:05 PM »
This is the code reader I use.  It creates its own WiFi network that you can join on your device.  There are apps for Android and iPhone which not only give details for each code and reset codes, but also fun things like give real-time tachymetry and even timing your 0-60.  It paid for itself on the first use, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FQH8JR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rIOrAbXBT0GY1
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »
I just have a wired OBD2 scanner myself that gives basic codes. Have the book but I tend to usually just Google the codes.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2017, 02:32:35 PM »
I just have a wired OBD2 scanner myself that gives basic codes. Have the book but I tend to usually just Google the codes.

I was surprised to see that there was a lot more information available through this app, including things like miles since reset, raw readings of O2 sensors, etc.  Very interesting stuff.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2017, 04:04:25 PM »
When I get a check eng light I erase it first and then if it comes back I try to figure it out. It could be a one time fault. (You would be surprised on how many times we do this on airplanes.) Also just because you get a fault it dosen't mean that that is the issue. Sometimes it is a symptom of another fault. You tube and BB are a big help in figuring it out.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2017, 02:21:08 AM »
The problem I see if that a person who does not want to learn anything about their car will then be at the mercy of mechanics.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »
I was  told by by somebody that if you polish a set of headlights, you will then end up having to polish them against every few months. Anybody hear the same thing? If so, might be better just to replace them.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »
I was  told by by somebody that if you polish a set of headlights, you will then end up having to polish them against every few months. Anybody hear the same thing? If so, might be better just to replace them.
About 3 years ago I had a treatment done to the outer glass of my headlights which made them look like new - they did have a pretty cloudy look about them. But they've since reverted to a slightly cloudy look.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2017, 05:29:17 PM »
My impression is that all of the major brand synthetics are about the same, and all significantly outperform conventional mortor oil. Everything I've seen online saying Amsoil was better coukd ultimately be traced back to Amsoil or Amsoil dealers.

Like you, I have a slight oil leak. As such, it does not really benefit me to use synthetics.
If it’s possible the oil will ever run low then synthetics are much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »
About 3 years ago I had a treatment done to the outer glass of my headlights which made them look like new - they did have a pretty cloudy look about them. But they've since reverted to a slightly cloudy look.
Our local car wash does them if you get the super-delux wash

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »
This is the code reader I use.  It creates its own WiFi network that you can join on your device.  There are apps for Android and iPhone which not only give details for each code and reset codes, but also fun things like give real-time tachymetry and even timing your 0-60.  It paid for itself on the first use, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FQH8JR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rIOrAbXBT0GY1
That’s a very useful link.  I looked at several a few weeks ago and they all had a scene where you could see the code on your smartphone but a translation or anything else required using their pay per use service

personate-rain
personate-rain