Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 22686 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
With the "Check Engine" light, I will get a code once in a while, sometimes the same code and other times different codes. Just got one today but think it is because of the cold. If I get it again in a short period of time, they I will start looking at a cause.

I was thinking though that if you took your car to the shop every time you get a "Check Engine" light, they would rake you over the coals in terms of cost. Seems like you really need to have a reader yourself and have to make your own judgement calls.

Thoughts?
I was going to get a meter but the local Cragens auto parts store did free code check and reports. I’m thinking about getting the one Latinist linked to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
This is the code reader I use.  It creates its own WiFi network that you can join on your device.  There are apps for Android and iPhone which not only give details for each code and reset codes, but also fun things like give real-time tachymetry and even timing your 0-60.  It paid for itself on the first use, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FQH8JR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rIOrAbXBT0GY1
Ordered and on the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »
In December, I bought a 1991 Mustang as a backup car.

The battery drained to nothing. Tested battery and turned out to not be battery. Thought it was the alternator is ordered a new one. Turned out to be completely the wrong alternator. It appears as if the previous owner put a higher output alternator on the engine. At the same time, found that one of the wires was corroded.

Had a hell of a time finding what the model of the alternator actually but was able to get it tested and it tested fine as well. Redid the wiring and seems to be doing alright.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2018, 04:44:24 PM »
I'm considering buying one of these OBD-II port readers. Anybody have experience with them?

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2018, 06:48:10 PM »
They are nice but its not a magic bullet. You still have to research the codes and then figure out what is wrong. They are worth getting IMO.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »
They are nice but its not a magic bullet. You still have to research the codes and then figure out what is wrong. They are worth getting IMO.

Right. I'd just be using it as a preliminary measure.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »
I have found mine to be pretty useful.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline BilLumberg

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2018, 11:04:56 AM »
There are bluetooth ones that work with a smartphone that can be found for around $10. There are several apps available for the interface. There are free ones that allow you to read and clear codes and even have some live data.
It is important to research what it takes to set any codes you may find. Just because you have a code for lets say a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) in the powertrain control module (PCM). It may or may not be the sensor depending on how the system works. For example, on a mid '90s ford truck it is very common to have a code for the VSS in the PCM but not the anti-lock brake system (ABS). The signal goes from the VSS on the rear differential to the speedometer head (PSOM). The PSOM then sends VSS signal to the ABS and the PCM, but it modifies the signal to the PCM. The part of the PSOM that modifies the signal fails and now you have a code in the PCM for no VSS, but the sensor is perfectly fine.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
I'm considering buying one of these OBD-II port readers. Anybody have experience with them?

We spent quite a bit of time on this upthread, starting with this post.  I linked to the code reader I use there.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »
Having an issue with the Jeep, my backup vehicle overheating. There are suppose to be three temperature sensors on my jeep
Found this post on a forum
The 4.0L's have 3 temperature sensors. One on the block for the computer, one at the rear of the cylinder head for the gage, one on the thermostat housing for the cooling fan.
I can find the front one easily but cannot find the others
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline BilLumberg

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »
What year and model is the jeep? If the fan is not running it could be the relay. Quite often they are the same as other systems, usually all together in the underhood fuse center. Easy to swap it with one for the horn or something else to test.

Here is a link for a site that has free wiring diagrams and TSBs. You just need to fill out the form for access.

http://www.bbbind.com/tsb-wiring-diagrams/

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2018, 12:51:19 PM »
Thanks. I will check it out. 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

Going to at least try replacing the sensor I know where it is. I believe it talks to the computer from the description of the part. The fan has been coming on however. I believe I heard water flowing noises as well so probably not the  pump or thermostat. I think I bought a "fail safe" thermostat anyway.

The think that is funny is that I just stopped the jeep and maybe ten minutes afterwards my roommate, against my arguments , opened the radiator. I am wondering if it overheating at all.

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »
Been a while. Have been working on a convertible 1991 Ford Mustang as a backup car.  Bought it in January for $900. My mechanic, who did much of the work on the car, stated that it was still a good car.

Convertible top was a pain in the butt to replace. It was trashed so had to be replaced. Didn't get it perfect but seems to at least work and hopefully will at least last me a few years. Could not afford to pay a professional to do it.

Drivers side window stopped working but I tapped on the motor with a rubber hammer (suggestion from my mechanic) and now works. In the long run I will probably have to replace the motor. Passenger side could be opened from the drivers but not passenger side. Just had to splice a wire in that case however. 

I also replaced the stereo system/ Had a high wattage system with an amplifier from hell. The person who put it in also cut into the original wiring harness and wanted to restore that. New stereo system has blue tooth which lets me listen to my cell phone.

Redid the wiring to the alternator because not wired the best. When the previous owner had the stereo system put in, put in a higher amp alternator.

One of the vent covers was missing. Could get used ones online through eBay but they wanted something like $45. Had to be in  a town some distance away from home that has a junk yard specializing in Mustangs and trucks. Able to find one that match and able to pull them and repair that problem. Replaced the passenger side mirror as well.

Replaced the drives seat bracket but I have had that issue with that type of Mustang in the past. Got some cheap seat covers to cover the seat. Actually they are really nice seat covers that came from a bargain outlet.

Replaced the original cigarette lighter and ash tray with a twin accessory outlet and twin USB outlet.  The twin outlet was actually designed for marine use but works well.

There are a number of minor issues I have had to work on. They have not been major although they take time. There a few other minor issues that I had to still do. Still, I have driven it to work a few times. Worst job was the convertible top.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:41:46 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »
My key fob for my truck stopped working (ford 3 button). This just opens the door. I changed the battery still no luck. Bought 2 new ones on ebay for 5 dollars. Went to reprogram the 2 new ones and just for grins reprogram the old one too. Now they all work.  Not sure why the original one stopped working.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »
My key fob for my truck stopped working (ford 3 button). This just opens the door. I changed the battery still no luck. Bought 2 new ones on ebay for 5 dollars. Went to reprogram the 2 new ones and just for grins reprogram the old one too. Now they all work.  Not sure why the original one stopped working.

When the battery in a fob gets "low", it can sometimes mess with the programming. 

This weekend I need to do some troubleshooting on my Jeep.  The left tail light (running light) isn't working when I turn on the lighting system.  Brake light and turn signals are working fine (all same light-bulb).  I swapped out the bulb the other day, just to confirm is wasn't the bulb.  Some work on Google U suggests that I check the fuses 1st. So that's where I'll start.  Hoping that will fix it.  I don't want to get in to trying to find a wiring issue.

Next on the list will be new tires.   
Not helping the situation since 1979.

personate-rain