Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 22547 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2018, 03:00:30 PM »
One of my vehicles is a 1994 Jeep Cherokee (4x4 - 4.0 liter engine(
It is my work / carry vehicle and use it to carry my kayak.

Have been having an overheating issue. Doesn't overheat quickly but overheats slowly over time.
Replaced the radiator a few years ago.
Replaced the sensor, thermostat, clutch fan, electric fan, fan housing, and flushed the system. 
I have a new radiator that I am going to see if the one I have got clogged. When the new radiator was #50, less than getting the old one checked.

Newest problem is that I took it out to go kayaking - On way home brake light came on. Looked under and saw that the bake line to the rear driver side was rusted out. Replaced it with no leaks - in bleeding it could not get the bleed valve out with the rear drum cylinder, replaced it, and bled three out of four sides - bleed valve in the from driver caliper broke off. Still getting a brake light though. Disconnected the sensor under the master brake cylinder which is suppose to detect an imbalance in the system  and went off. Not sure if I should try to tap out the old bleed value or replace the left front caliper - It is 20+20 core.

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »
I believe my lenses are polycarbonate.  I used a commercial paste and microfiber cloths with some success a while back.

The worry with an oscillating multitool is that its vibration pattern is fixed in an arc, as opposed to the random movement of an orbital sander.  It therefore has the danger of leaving scratches in an arc-shaped pattern.  I might give it a try in a concealed corner of the lens first.
Just an update. Last couple of nights I've driven and first real chance to see if I notice a difference with my headlights. The answer is yes, the road ahead does appear somewhat brighter than it had before. Whiter.

Conscious that I don't have any objective evidence or measures and perhaps I believe it to be better because i did something to my lights but it definitely seemed brighter last night. I live in regional/rural area so the road between my home and town is unlit. Even if it isn't objectively brighter, at least the car looks better! It's getting a clean today, heading off on a road trip tomorrow.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »
I replaced the passenger side caliper and bled the brakes.
Finally got the brake light to go out.
Probably want to replace the driver side next time I replace the pads.

Still having an issue with the temperature however.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2018, 12:37:25 PM »
I changed the spark plugs & ignition coils. No more misfire codes; throttle response is much smoother.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »
I’ve ordered a cat as well as an oil pan gasket, and will be using my father-in-law’s lift on Tuesday to install.  It should go on easily enough; my only worry is getting the old one off without breaking the bolts that haven’t been touched in 12 years.  Oil change at the same time as the gasket change, obviously. Hopefully with the new cat it will pass my overdue emissions test.

In small engine news, I bought a carb rebuild kit on Amazon for about $6 and yesterday rebuilt the carburetor on my defunct power trimmer.  It now starts and idles, but I’m having trouble keeping it running under throttle.  I’m going to ask my father-in-law for help troubleshooting it.  I suspect that it’s the gas tank vent that’s the issue.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »
Had new brake disks and pads fitted last week and a few months ago replaced the intake manifold. Not remotely something I'd ever attempt myself (like most things with the car).

On my road trip a couple of weeks back I was visiting a much colder climate and the battery died (it was a -8C overnight and I had been thinking the battery seemed like it was heading that way before leaving as I'd noticed a slight hesitation when starting), so my brother & I did swap in a new one. He's way more mechanically minded with cars and stuff than I ever was/am. Not that a battery change is complicated but we needed a youtube vid to work out how to remove the battery, there was no obvious visible clamp and things are pretty tightly packed in today's engine bays. Once we saw what to do we got there (needed to remove an air intake pipe first)!

I'm planning to get another car say in 18-24 months. By then mine will have well over 200,000km. The question is whether or not to keep it as well. The diesel engine will probably last at least double that. The DSG gearbox will be due a service next year.

It's in very sound condition, I'm the only owner and have kept it well serviced and had any mechanical issues attended to. It drives amazingly well and goes like a rocket. It's brilliant on the highway. Late last year I had the engine management system retuned and it was an amazing transformation in power with little impact on economy. An astonishing improvement really.

If I was to keep it I'd like the internal upholstery redone as that's beginning to come away in places. If I were really thinking of keeping it I might also change the centre radio console for a modern screen system with mapping, bluetooth and reversing camera.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
I really don't like having a car payment so I want to keep my vehicles as long as possible.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2018, 03:07:31 AM »
I really don't like having a car payment so I want to keep my vehicles as long as possible.
It's a matter of whether the newer car payment is less than the cost of keeping an old vehicle running.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »
It's a matter of whether the newer car payment is less than the cost of keeping an old vehicle running.

I don't know if I have seen cases where repairs on a car will run more than a new car.
Granted, you get a lot of better features with a new car.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
Was riding my motorcycle to work and smelled fuel. I looked down and my bike was leaking fuel on the ground. I got to work and when I had a chance looked it over and I couldn't find a leak. Drove home no leak. That weekend I started it up and sure enough there was the leak again. Tore it apart and no leak.
I have a BMW 1150R so it has fuel injection.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »

I don't know if I have seen cases where repairs on a car will run more than a new car.

You can spend a lot of money repairing a car before you match the cost of a new one.  Sure, if the engine or transmission goes it could cost more than the car is worth in asking le shot and might not make sense to do the repair.  But especially if you can do some work yourself it’s hard to beat a payment-free car.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »
You can spend a lot of money repairing a car before you match the cost of a new one.  Sure, if the engine or transmission goes it could cost more than the car is worth in asking le shot and might not make sense to do the repair.  But especially if you can do some work yourself it’s hard to beat a payment-free car.

My 1987 mustang went zero compression. It would have cost me around $2000 for a new engine.
Got a 2001 mustang for $1800. In most cases, this is not the case though.

Edit: Friday got side swiped. More scratches than anything else but hoping to get his insurance to pay for it. I was in my lane and he changed lanes into me.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:35:49 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2018, 05:47:15 PM »

Just to be clear, I'm talking about total costs of owning/running a vehicle. e.g. other running costs such as registration and insurance. Many new cars have lower insurance premiums than old ones.

So there is more than repair costs to consider but even so some things can get pretty pricey and major items tend to fail after a certain age. I estimate my car will need about $2-3k per year in servicing costs (allowing for the sort of stuff old cars need, last year it was engine management and fuel systems, this year new brakes, intake manifold, battery, tyres and CV boot replacement, and I suspect I'll need to consider suspension/steering elements next year, and the interior which is degrading), where a newer vehicle might be more like $300-500/yr since all it requires is basic servicing over the same period. Plus the inconvenience of extra time in the shop.

I like my car and keep it in great condition but it's beginning to cost more and more to keep it that way.

A newer car (not necessarily brand new) will obviously cost a fair bit to start with but it would definitely be cheaper to run and maintain.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2018, 05:56:43 PM »
Much of that work you should be able to do yourself and could save considerable money.
Except new engine and transmission, you should not be spending $2000 a year.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2018, 07:41:08 PM »
Much of that work you should be able to do yourself and could save considerable money.
Except new engine and transmission, you should not be spending $2000 a year.
I disagree that I personally could do much of that work. Minor stuff yes but I do not have the workshop set up or the tools nor the expertise to change disk brakes or an inlet manifold or to make adjustments to the engine management system. I could not put a new tyre on a wheel, nor balance the wheels nor say do a wheel alignment. Then there is the skill, experience, tools and technology required to know what might be going wrong in the first place or to identify a problem is coming your way in the first place.

The tools alone to perform such tasks would cost more than the car is worth. Heck even doing an oil change would be a struggle unless I had access to a hydraulic car lift. I also have a physical impairment which makes doing some things very awkward or requires additional risk to perform. Anything that requires me to get down and horizontal on the ground is a complete PITA.

personate-rain