Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 22564 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #165 on: August 05, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
As an example - the battery change the other week. It was fortunate that I was at my brother's place when it died. We installed the new one ourselves but it required several special tools he happened to have in order to remove/replace various items in order to access the battery for removal.

So had I been at home when it happened then even something as simple as a new battery I would not have been able to do cheaper than getting in a professional in because the tools needed cost more than the differential cost of buying a battery from the local auto goods store and what the mobile battery guy costs to come and do the install for you.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Ouch, I understand if you have physical issues.
Front disk brakes you generally don't need many tools though and you can barrow the one for the rear from an auto part store.
I have cleaned my manifold however.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2018, 08:23:35 PM »
I spent as much on an oil pump pulley puller and parts as the repair itself done by a local mechanic. There was value in the experience but never did used that puller again.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2018, 08:48:52 PM »
I am lucky that my father-in-law has a lift, air wrench, and a good set of tools.  I have enough tools to do things like changing a battery or cleaning the intake, etc., but I wouldn’t be able to undertake a lot of other maintenance without his kit.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2018, 11:31:56 PM »
you can barrow the one for the rear from an auto part store.

Is this universally true? Will any auto parts store lend tools?  Any tool, or just some?

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2018, 12:01:34 AM »
you can barrow the one for the rear from an auto part store.

Is this universally true? Will any auto parts store lend tools?  Any tool, or just some?

Autozone, O'Relly's, and Advance all will loan tools.
That includes pulley pullers.
It is mostly the special tools that are not in a normal tool box.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:04:29 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2018, 07:01:33 AM »
I am lucky that my father-in-law has a lift, air wrench, and a good set of tools.  I have enough tools to do things like changing a battery or cleaning the intake, etc., but I wouldn’t be able to undertake a lot of other maintenance without his kit.

That alone is gold and I'm am envious. I in fact would consider that to be an enticement for marrage.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »
As an example - the battery change the other week. It was fortunate that I was at my brother's place when it died. We installed the new one ourselves but it required several special tools he happened to have in order to remove/replace various items in order to access the battery for removal.

So had I been at home when it happened then even something as simple as a new battery I would not have been able to do cheaper than getting in a professional in because the tools needed cost more than the differential cost of buying a battery from the local auto goods store and what the mobile battery guy costs to come and do the install for you.

As Desert Fox indicated, in the US most franchise auto parts stores will help with tools to test and or swap a battery.

Related story: I had to replace the clamp on my battery yhat was crumbling. Only clamp size they had in store did not matxh metric size on my car. Ended up getting a dremel and drilling the battery cable plate to fit the clamp.

Damn, imagine the fun of dealing with a 1-2 cylinder misfire and loose connection causing engine to run only from alternator. Yet somehow the battery managed to stay charged as the engine (L4 1.8L 16-valve DOHC) says in the manual it has a 900W starter motor...

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2018, 06:59:38 PM »
Anybody know a simple fix to this. I have kayak racks on my jeep. On one of them, the padding is coming off.
You can't just slide a piece of rubber or something due to location.
Any suggestions on what I might be able to rap it with and will not come off?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #174 on: August 06, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »
As Desert Fox indicated, in the US most franchise auto parts stores will help with tools to test and or swap a battery.
Must be a US thing. Never heard of an auto shop loaning tools here.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
Anybody know a simple fix to this. I have kayak racks on my jeep. On one of them, the padding is coming off.
A picture might be helpful

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »
A picture might be helpful

Have to wait until tomorrow
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2018, 10:14:30 PM »

Gaffer’s tape.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2018, 04:27:33 PM »
Today was car repair day.  Removed and cleaned the oil pan, scraped off the RTV silicone, and installed new gasket with RTV.  The previous installation used no gasket, but only RTV.  Changed filter and oil (Mobile 1 40W-0 European Formulation—expensive stuff, but I only change it once in a blue moon).

Unfortunately, as I feared, the nuts on the flange between the cat and manifold are rusted solid, and we didn’t think we could remove them without breaking them. Maybe if we’d had a hotter torch we could’ve done it.  So I called the guy who does all of the work on my employer’s vehicles and asked if he would install it for me (since I can’t return it).  I’m going to leave it with him while I’m on vacation so he can do it at his convenience. Hopefully it won’t take too much labor to remove the bolts; the actual installation wouldn’t take more than maybe half an hour.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2018, 05:21:28 AM »
2 new front tyres and a wheel alignment today. The inside edges of my front tyres were very worn, which reduced their useful life. I should have picked that up earlier I think so it could be attended to but it hasn't happened to me before.

personate-rain