Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 22559 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »
Got side swiped last Friday. The other insurance company just accepted responsibility so hopefully everything works out well. It was really just minor cosmetic damage however.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »
Today was car repair day.  Removed and cleaned the oil pan, scraped off the RTV silicone, and installed new gasket with RTV.  The previous installation used no gasket, but only RTV.  Changed filter and oil (Mobile 1 40W-0 European Formulation—expensive stuff, but I only change it once in a blue moon).

Unfortunately, as I feared, the nuts on the flange between the cat and manifold are rusted solid, and we didn’t think we could remove them without breaking them. Maybe if we’d had a hotter torch we could’ve done it.  So I called the guy who does all of the work on my employer’s vehicles and asked if he would install it for me (since I can’t return it).  I’m going to leave it with him while I’m on vacation so he can do it at his convenience. Hopefully it won’t take too much labor to remove the bolts; the actual installation wouldn’t take more than maybe half an hour.

I thought of you.

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »
I noticed last night before leaving work than one of my tail lights was out. It was after 11 pm, so no auto part places were open and had to be back at work in the morning.

Went to Walmart and they were out of the standard bulbs. They had the LED bulbs but they are listed "for offroad use only." From looking at LED bulbs, it looks like all Syvania LED tail light bulbs have that listing.

I bough t them because I considered it less likely to be pulled over because they are slightly dimmer than having an out tail light. Philips makes street legal LED tail light bulbs but I have only found them online. None of the local auto parts places sell the Philips. They also tend to be about $5 more expensive ($20 vs $15).

Why are they even sold (The Sylvania "for offroad use only" bulbs)?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
Fuck me.  On vacation in Maine.  Before we left my wife had an oil change and brake inspection.  8mm on the rear pads which my father-in-law replaces last November, more on the front pads that we installed together in a March.  Left rear started scraping on the highway on the way to Maine. I don’t know what the fuck happened, but the outside pad on the left rear is worn to the metal and scraped the 10-month old rotor to hell.  So now I’m in the waiting room at a Subaru dealership while they do a $400 brake job I could’ve done myself for $150 if I weren’t in Vacationland.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2018, 03:25:27 PM »
Wow. What kind of mechanical failure could do that? Or could it be a bad inspection?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2018, 04:15:35 PM »
Well, fuck me some more.  They took the car out for a test drive and destroyed the tire running over something.  They’re going to replace the tire and, they say, shave the new one down to match the 1/3 worn ones.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?  And of course they can’t get the tire until tomorrow.

Wow. What kind of mechanical failure could do that? Or could it be a bad inspection?

A stuck caliper could do it, but that would have affected both pads.  Maybe if the pad got caught on the hanger somehow?  I don’t know.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
Sorry, man.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »
They’re going to replace the tire and, they say, shave the new one down to match the 1/3 worn ones.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

What? In my mind, they should be replacing both front or both rear tires to match (wherever the flat was), not shaving down a brand new tire.  WTF?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »
They’re going to replace the tire and, they say, shave the new one down to match the 1/3 worn ones.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

What? In my mind, they should be replacing both front or both rear tires to match (wherever the flat was), not shaving down a brand new tire.  WTF?

It’s AWD, so changing two is apparently not an option.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2018, 06:34:32 PM »

Shaving a replacement tire on AWD vehicles is pretty standard, and it's probably what any tire shop would suggest even if you ran over the whatever thing yourself.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »
This kind of sucks .

As I posted previously, I was side swiped and the other person's insurance accepted fault. They had me go to a repair shop and they told me that the cost to repair will be more than the value of the car. This is even though it has only minor cosmetic damage on the passenger side.

It means that the other insurance will likely total my car out. I can keep the car but get a little less money. What bugs me is that, depending on how insurance companies talk to each other, my vehicle becomes effectively worthless. If there is another accident, might get $250 or so, maybe a bit more if I let them keep the car.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »
Driving home from work today.  Truck (ranger) started fine ran for about 3 miles then lost power. Thought it was bad gas or something.  It would run very sluggish.  Got about 1/2 of a mile more and then would not start. Had to have it towed. I sent it to a local shop I use once in awhile. I don't have time to mess with it now. Wife has hip surgery tomorrow and still remodeling the master bath. It's going to piss me off if it turns out to be something easy. I'm thinking fuel pump.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
So the mechanic got the nuts and studs off and replaced them, but he couldn’t put the cat on because the prongs for the hanger bracket wouldn’t fit without modification.  He went above and beyond, ordering two other cats, neither of which fit.  The OEM part sells for $1300. He charged me just $50 for all his work.  I tipped.

So I got the car back with my old cat re-installed.  Today my father-in-law and I installed it.  We used a carbide cutoff wheel to shorten the prongs on the hanger and it went into place without a hitch.  Reset the MIL.  Will let you know whether it stays out after I get it up to temperature (you won’t get a cat efficiency code until the cat has reached full operating temperature).

Assuming all is well, I can finally pass emissions.  Of course I’ve also got a late emissions test fine to pay off by now.  But it’ll be good to get this over and done with.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:28:31 PM by The Latinist »

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2018, 06:07:39 PM »
Driving home from work today.  Truck (ranger) started fine ran for about 3 miles then lost power. Thought it was bad gas or something.  It would run very sluggish.  Got about 1/2 of a mile more and then would not start. Had to have it towed. I sent it to a local shop I use once in awhile. I don't have time to mess with it now. Wife has hip surgery tomorrow and still remodeling the master bath. It's going to piss me off if it turns out to be something easy. I'm thinking fuel pump.

Fuel pump it was. If I had the time I would have done it myself.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2018, 08:26:32 PM »
Still no sign of the MIL after a thirty-mile drive today (although the OBD does not indicate that it went through a warmup cycle, so I may have to take it for a drive on the highway to be sure).

personate-rain
personate-rain