Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 22688 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2018, 01:39:05 AM »
The cat seems to be purring along, and after another couple of 45-minute drives today with no sign of an MIL, I’m ready to get my emissions tested tomorrow. Total cost for the repair was around $450, including what I paid to the guy who removed and replaced the rusted-on studs. 

Next on the agenda is the rattle in my front end.  Fortunately, I had the whole suspension replaced a couple of years ago, with a lifetime warranty.  If it’s another cracked strut mount as I suspect, it should be covered.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2018, 06:12:59 PM »
Got a quote for fitting a tow bar the other day. ~A$950. I want to do it but priorities....

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »
Last year my AC went out.  I went to a shop and they said that my R134a levels were fine and that I was getting no power to the compressor.

Went to another shop just today for another issue. That actually turned out actually to be a lesser issue but need a part which I will not get until Saturday.

I asked him to look at my AC. Turns out that the AC was low on coolant. Added coolant and the AC kicked on.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2018, 08:55:24 PM »
Question - For a normal truck, how much difference between low cost and mid cost shocks?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
Have been off running my cycling tour for past 4 days.

After the first day I leave our dinner, hop in the car to head home and noticed something wasn't right when I started to drive. Pulled up to have a look and front left tyre was flat. Ugh.

So out with the space saver spare and the kit to remove/replace. The culprit was a screw that had punctured the tyre. Fortunately the next day was a weekday and I was able to drop the wheel into a tyre shop for repair in the morning, picked it up later that day and changed it back that evening. Glad it was repairable as it it was a new tyre.

As always with these things, getting to the spare and jack and wheel nut lever meant removing all the stuff in the back of the car I was carrying for the tour, and that was when I discovered the 20 litre water container had moved and knocked out the tap and dumped all the water into my boot, which of course was all sitting in the well where the spare tyre sits. So I pull it all out and start the process of mopping out the water with a towel. This is of course all done in the dark....

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2018, 06:44:59 PM »
Did a couple of repairs today.
The 1999 Ranger I just bought, the drivers side door handle got broken.
The only major problem was the the window handle (crank) is held on by a T-20 screw.
I have a screw bit for it but was not long enough.
Had to get a longer one.

In addition, the jeep had its passenger side floor mat wet.
It has happened a number of times and I am worried about the floor rotting out.
Looking online, there is a rubber plug where wiring goes through the side wall.
It often comes loose. Removed the inside trim and it was loose.
Siliconed it in and hopefully it will hold and stop leaking.   
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
Do you ever have bolts left over when you put something back together?

I had to take the dash of the Ranger apart to replace the dash lights.
Almost all of them had burned out.
When I put it back together, I missed putting some of the bolts back in.
Feels like too much trouble to take everything back apart to put them in.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »

This is why I now take photos at every step of disassembly.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2018, 03:04:35 PM »

This is why I now take photos at every step of disassembly.

This and I also have a notebook that I will detail certain things for when I put it back together (e.g. id-ing where different sized bolts/screws have come from).
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2018, 12:18:49 AM »
I actually watched a video twice on taking the dash apart. One bolt would not go back in (plastic on plastic and a clip broke)
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2018, 12:47:50 AM »
So I have an issue with my central locking.  It started with the driver’s door not locking properly even though the alarm would be set.  Now the remote doesn’t work at all and even with the key it’s hit-or-miss whether the door will lock. By unlocking twice and then lockijgbIbcan fairly consistently get it to lock all four doors and set the alarm.  Oddly, the buttons on the door work perfectly to lock all four doors.

I’m not even sure where where to start diagnosing the problem.  One site I read suggested that a bad locking mechanism in the driver’s door could cause these symptoms.  Another suggested a disconnected wire at the door hinge.  Any suggestions?

Also, today I fixed the fold-out cup holder mechanism in the rear center console.  My son had stepped on it.  Took quite a bit to figure out how all the pieces fit, and then some finesse and a lot of luck to get it back into place.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2018, 01:31:13 AM »
Between the seats of the Ranger is a divider which when folded down acts as arm rest with a storage compartment. When folded up, effective becomes a bench. The lid was missing when I bought the truck. Bought a used one on eBay and took me a while to figure out how to replace.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2018, 07:12:06 AM »
Between the seats of the Ranger is a divider which when folded down acts as arm rest with a storage compartment. When folded up, effective becomes a bench. The lid was missing when I bought the truck. Bought a used one on eBay and took me a while to figure out how to replace.

I replaced my center arm rest last spring(ranger). It had popped out of the swivel and had cracked the hinge so every time I would lean on it a bit it would snap off. Got a replacement hinge at Rock auto. This one is made of metal and the other one was made of plastic. Works great now.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
Lat, it sounds like you might have more than one issue. You might want to try changing the battery on the key fob to see if that changes the behaviour. That doesn't address the doors doing different things, but it may be part of it.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #209 on: September 22, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »
Oh, I've changed the battery.  I've also tested it with an RF meter (it's transmitting) and followed the factory reprogramming procedure (which, I admit, may be affected by the door not locking/unlocking as its supposed to).

personate-rain
personate-rain