Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 22668 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
Well, that pretty much covers my troubleshooting ideas to narrow it down. Good luck, sir!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2018, 09:25:28 PM »
Well, that pretty much covers my troubleshooting ideas to narrow it down. Good luck, sir!

How does it behave if you try to lock it with the driver's door not closed all the way?
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »
I am curious if anybody has had an issue where you are begin or in front fo a vehicle making unusual sounds and you are concerned that it is your vehicle?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2018, 07:34:20 PM »
I got a set of Husky mats for the new truck. They were so nice that I ordered a second set for the Mustang
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2018, 09:11:57 PM »
Have a question, I have a passenger who is not careful with seat belts and has managed to twist one to where I had to get a junkyard one to replace it. Just recently the person almost did it again on another vehicle. Is there any solution to this that anyone has seen?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2018, 10:58:01 PM »
There are seatbelt cushions that will keep them straight (though they may have the effect of preventing them fully retracting, which, depending on the design of the tensioner may be an issue).
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »
Have a question, I have a passenger who is not careful with seat belts and has managed to twist one to where I had to get a junkyard one to replace it. Just recently the person almost did it again on another vehicle. Is there any solution to this that anyone has seen?
You mean apart from yelling at them?  :D

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
You mean apart from yelling at them?  :D

Tries to blame the seat belts
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »

This morning I was once again teaching my 8 year old how to pull and buckle as seatbelt. No, don't pull an extra metre out. No, don't wrap it around your arm. No, don't... You know what, just stop everything and try pulling the part that goes in the latch. That's it. Nothing else. Wait, no tangles? No fighting to get the click? It's almost as if the things were designed to be fairly easy to use. WeIrD hOw NaTuRe DoEs ThAt.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2018, 04:58:04 PM »
I always pull with one hand while carefully guiding it with the other.
You just don't yank but shoudl be a smooth motion.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »
At least in my car, if you pull the seatbelt out too far, it will lock until it retracts fully.  You then can’t lean forward, and it just keeps getting tighter until unfasten it and allow it to retract fully.  It certainly teaches you good seatbelt fastening technique.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »
4 new tires for minivan: $115@, $460 list price.

Out the door cost with balance, alignment, assorted fees, and coupon:  $790.

List plus $350 for future estimates.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:26:28 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2018, 08:50:59 PM »
They raked you over the coals. . .I could probably get 4 tires with everything for under 300 easy.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online CarbShark

« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »
They raked you over the coals. . .I could probably get 4 tires with everything for under 300 easy.

What size?
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »

What size?

Friendly Angel wrote Minivan and they usually take normal car tires.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain