Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 21215 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »
They do eventually tend to get gunked up - Probably want to replace spark plugs every three or four years at most

Why?

I know that with my 2001 Mustang, and I believe I use a platinum spark plug, that after three or four years I started getting misfires.  The problem was that some of the spark plugs were corroded, gunked up, and otherwise not firing right. Now, I have an aluminum head and you can easily strip out the head if you are not careful. As such, I had my mechanic replace them.

But that’s not the question.  The question is why one should replace plugs if one is not getting any misfires.  I’ve got 13 years and 150k miles on my plugs and it has never once registered a misfire.  Fuel economy is unchanged, it idles fine.  Is there any reason to replace plugs in such circumstances? I can’t think of one other than that it’s what the plug manufacturer tells you to do.

Well, my mechanic did tell me I likely should not have waited as long as I had. He does think I should have replaced them before I had problems.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #256 on: May 19, 2019, 12:16:01 PM »
The old give the headlights a quick spuce up with toothpaste trick....

Before

After

Could probably use another going over but they look way better now. Put a little wax on after I was done.

Lights have deteriorated a bit again since I did this. Might try a little wax again to see if that helps.

The images are not showing up from the googleusercontent link, but I'm glad it worked.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »
How old is this Ranger? Were you actually getting misfires?  Spark plugs are almost indestructible these days; my 2006 Rabbit has its original platinum plugs and has never registered a misfire.

No misfires just what the manual said to do for maintenance.  It is a 2011 with 70k on it. When I looked at the plug the center electrode it was worn down, so the gap on the plug was twice as much (I'm guessing didn't measure it) as the spec in the owners manual. I was getting a weird ticking sound at times that I haven't heard again. I will see if this really fixed it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2019, 05:01:57 PM »
The images are not showing up from the googleusercontent link, but I'm glad it worked.

Weird. They show on my feed.

In any case, the solution only worked for a while (same when I had them recoated professionally). Haven't tried waxing them again yet, maybe later today. I'm not expecting it to help much. It's sun damage and the car is parked outside. May eventually need new headlights.

I also intend to get the lining replaced in my car roof and front doors. It's coming away and looks a bit untidy. Not a job I can do, one for a pro upholsterer.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #259 on: June 19, 2019, 04:58:42 PM »

Weird. They show on my feed.

In any case, the solution only worked for a while (same when I had them recoated professionally). Haven't tried waxing them again yet, maybe later today. I'm not expecting it to help much. It's sun damage and the car is parked outside. May eventually need new headlights.

I also intend to get the lining replaced in my car roof and front doors. It's coming away and looks a bit untidy. Not a job I can do, one for a pro upholsterer.

Well the interior roof lining all came sagging down last week, so today I'm taking it to a local auto upholstery guy to have it replaced. I'm getting the cloth inserts in the front doors done as well as the centre console. May as well spruce it up a bit.

On Friday the car gets its 200,000km service (just a regular service + DSG gearbox service) and I did decide to get new headlights. I have spent a little more and gone for an aftermarket LED lighting technology upgrade, which replicates the sort of lights available on modern vehicles. I'm planning several long interstate trips in the next 8 months and they will involve some night highway driving. I've never been overly happy with the current lighting capacity of the car these last few years. OK for short trips but not really that great for longer drives or on the highway.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2019, 07:12:15 AM »
The new roof lining looks good. The upholsterer ended up re-glueing the existing door panel cloth and not touching the centre console. Instead I got some fabric cleaning foam and gave the console, seats and other areas a good clean. I was quite surprised how good a job the cleaning foam did. Got a bit carried away and gave the interior a really good clean.

New headlights are not fitted yet, that'll be week after next. On my car it's a bit of a job - requires removal of the front bumper and panel assembly with some awkward screw access points.

Some other jobs will need doing:

Need a new CV boot.

My shock absorbers will need replacing some time this year, one is leaking a little and they are the original units. I suspect they are part of the reason why even with correct wheel alignment I'm getting more rapid and uneven wear on the tyres.

Also I have clear coat coming away on parts of the bonnet, so that'll need attention before rust gets in there.

I asked the upholsterer about re-padding the front seats to improve the support and he said that's not problem.

I've also decided to install an aftermarket double DIN screen stereo unit with reversing camera and Apple Carplay. My better half has just got her driving leaner's permit and she's keen to have the rear camera option to help her out. The Sony XAV-AX5000 is what I have in mind.

Other than that I really could use a tow bar for a trailer. So many times I wish I could just move stuff with a trailer, e.g. stuff to the recycling centre or go get some garden stuff, hire equipment etc.

I wouldn't normally bother spending this much on a car of this age but have decided to keep it going for a while yet rather than getting a new(er) car. It's just such a good car and runs extremely well. Perhaps by the time we're ready to look at an upgrade there will be more suitable EVs to choose from than the limited options we have here at present.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2019, 11:02:40 PM »
Flat tire in the way home tonight.  Upon examination, the rear tires—which from the outside appear to be in fair shape with about 5 mm tread remaining...are worn through to the belts on the inside shoulders. Wtf?

I assume that means my rear suspension must be seriously fucked up.  Fortunately I replaced that a few years ago and it should have a lifetime warranty on it.  Unfortunately, that means I must replace all four tires when I had been hoping to replace only the front tires this fall.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2019, 11:49:13 PM »
I had something similar happen on my front tires before I got an alignment
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2019, 12:59:18 AM »

It sucks because My car is approaching it’s end-of-life, and I am starting to have to make calculations about every little thing and consider whether it’s worth doing.  If any suspension issues can be fixed under warranty, it will make sense to buy new tires; but if I’m looking at replacing the whole suspension at my expense it becomes harder to justify.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2019, 02:49:53 AM »

It sucks because My car is approaching it’s end-of-life, and I am starting to have to make calculations about every little thing and consider whether it’s worth doing.  If any suspension issues can be fixed under warranty, it will make sense to buy new tires; but if I’m looking at replacing the whole suspension at my expense it becomes harder to justify.

You live in New England where salt is an issue?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »
Salt is an issue, yes.  I had corrosion repaired under warranty.

I purchased my car thirteen years ago next Sunday.  I have ~170k on it.  The suspension has been replaced, I’ve replaced the brakes three times.  I’ve replaced all of the wheel bearings.  If replaced the left half axle twice. I’ve replaced the cat and a couple of oxygen sensors.

I’ve got several issues that need to be addressed:

Now: Suspension, tires

Soon-ish: Cabin air blower (bearings going), oil pan gasket, cv boot or half-axle

Before July 2020 (next emissions test): vacuum leak, catback

Probably won’t fix: central locking

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #266 on: June 24, 2019, 12:30:48 PM »
I’m getting my tires replaced.  Asked my tire guy to recommend an inexpensive H-rated all-season for a car I wasn’t sure I’d keep too long.  He recommended the Chinese-made Milestar Weatherguard AW365 as a cheaper alternative to my usual Nokia WR’s. They’re H-rated and M+S-rated with a 40k mile warranty.  I expect they’ll be a little louder, a little less grippy, and will wear faster; but I’m probably only going to run them for about two years before replacing my car. Free alignment with tire purchase, as always.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #267 on: June 24, 2019, 04:53:23 PM »
a cheaper alternative to my usual Nokia WR’s.
Think I've spotted your problem. You're putting old mobile phones on your wheels instead of tyres!  :D

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #268 on: June 24, 2019, 07:49:04 PM »
Wow.  My phone autocorrects Nokian to Nokia. I’d be surprised if people write Nokia more than Nokian these days.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2019, 10:32:19 AM »
So apparently the cam and toe bolts on my rear suspension are all seized, so they can’t be adjusted.  It can’t be heated to get them loose because it would burn out the bushings.  Otherwise the parts look fine and it’s safe to drive, but I’ve got significant toe in the rear that was the cause of my tire wear and can’t be fixed without replacing control arms and bolts.