Author Topic: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread  (Read 21330 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: The Car Maintenance and Repair Thread
« Reply #360 on: November 30, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »
In a previous car, I had a plastic connector for the lines going to heater core go. Sprayed water / anti-freeze everywhere.
Instead of getting a new plastic connector, I got a brass one from the hardware store. Never broke again.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #361 on: December 03, 2019, 02:46:29 PM »
Replaced my wife’s exhaust system.  Pretty easy job overall; the hardest part was removing the old gasket between the cat and the rest of the exhaust.  It had to be chiseled off.

My wife's exhaust got loud again, so my FIL put it up on the lift and discovered that the new gasket between the cat and catback had 'fallen off' (I'm not really sure what that means; I got this second-hand through my wife).  Apparently the one they gave us was not the correct one for her car.  He got the correct one and has now replaced it.  Hopefully that will silence it at last.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #362 on: December 04, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, I got my local shop to replace my left front half-axle. Very fair price. Part was $130 (about 40% markup, I think) and 1.3 hrs labor at $99/hr.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #363 on: December 09, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
My e-brake stuck on yesterday. Got it unstuck, but I think I shall just try to break the habit of using it and into the habit of leaving the car in reverse.

personate-rain