Author Topic: Good Supplements?  (Read 457 times)

Offline anazopyreo

• Brand New
Good Supplements?
« on: August 07, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
I was told by my doctor that I have a deficiency in vitamin b-12 and also I should take fish oil. I have up til now been taking supplements hoping that I'm lucky and I'm actually getting what I need. I have recently found that there are labels such as USP that guarantee that the ingredients on the label match the ingredients in the pills. Are these really worth seeking out?

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: Good Supplements?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
Since your doctor recommended then he should also specify a brand he thinks is good. I'd ask him.
Think of it like picking up any random pill on the sidewalk and popping that in your mouth.
You have just a good a chance of getting b12 as fentanyl or rat anus.
I'd pay attention to the label just to be sure you are getting what is recommended.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:46:47 PM »
If I were going to take a supplement, I would seek one that had USP verification.  That is at least some assurance that the contents are as listed.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »
I was told by my doctor that I have a deficiency in vitamin b-12 and also I should take fish oil. I have up til now been taking supplements hoping that I'm lucky and I'm actually getting what I need. I have recently found that there are labels such as USP that guarantee that the ingredients on the label match the ingredients in the pills. Are these really worth seeking out?

Your first sentence is ambiguous.  Did your doctor tell you to take fish oil supplements to obtain vitamin B12?  Or did he tell you to take both a B12 supplement and a fish oil supplement.  Vitamin B12 is not fat-soluble.  Therefore fish oil supplements contain no vitamin B12.  If your doctor told you to take fish oil supplements to obtain B12, you need to find another doctor.

Offline anazopyreo

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
"If your doctor told you to take fish oil supplements to obtain B12, you need to find another doctor."
I totally agree. No, he told me to take both B-12 and fish oil.

"I'm not going to use your pronouns."
I find this to be very disrespectful.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:35 AM »
There are prescription vitamins that are probably more reliable than over the counter, and depending on your insurance, could be less expensive.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:50:55 AM by superdave »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
I would expect so.  I've seen enough articles about impurity and filler in supplements that when I started buying them, I googled the brands first.

I didn't look into labeling but there's definitely a role for it and USP looks like an organization that could get it done.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.