Author Topic: Reply All goes after Indian Call Center Scammers  (Read 685 times)

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Reply All goes after Indian Call Center Scammers
« on: August 09, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »
I love reply all. They delve a lot into the early days of the net. As an old timer, I appreciate this. They also delve into new memes and help oldsters like me understand them. Like Pepe the Frog. They did a two part ep where the hosts actually flew all the way to India to confront the perpetrators of one of those tech support confidence scams (you have a virus). I applaud them for their detective work and willingness spend money in quest of a story. It was also interesting how they tended to be always one step behind experienced confidence men. Their New York hipster savvy was no match against a couple of experienced confidence men. However, it also struck me a like a two hour investigation into what the dog actually does when it catches the car it's chasing. They seemed to have no real idea what to do with the guys once they found them, other than get them to admit to something they roughly admitted to already.

https://gimletmedia.com/reply-all/
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Reply All goes after Indian Call Center Scammers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »
I love reply all. They delve a lot into the early days of the net. As an old timer, I appreciate this. They also delve into new memes and help oldsters like me understand them. Like Pepe the Frog. They did a two part ep where the hosts actually flew all the way to India to confront the perpetrators of one of those tech support confidence scams (you have a virus). I applaud them for their detective work and willingness spend money in quest of a story. It was also interesting how they tended to be always one step behind experienced confidence men. Their New York hipster savvy was no match against a couple of experienced confidence men. However, it also struck me a like a two hour investigation into what the dog actually does when it catches the car it's chasing. They seemed to have no real idea what to do with the guys once they found them, other than get them to admit to something they roughly admitted to already.

https://gimletmedia.com/reply-all/

This was an entertaining listen. What I thought was quite interesting was the justifications that the scammers gave (you Americans are all rich, you can afford it, you like bombing other countries etc). Its like they fooled themselves into thinking they were Robin Hood types, rather than actually being psychopaths ripping off vulnerable people.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 05:17:44 PM »
I LOVED THIS.  Thank you mindme.

#non-belief denialist

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:12:27 AM »
Yeah, in the early days of the net, I got into the whole Nigerian Banks scam thing (http://www.yrad.com). I was amazed at how they justified it. They weren't criminals. They were doing god's work, taking from rich Americans who got their money unfairly and redistributing it to the poor. Like themselves. And the guy selling them cigarettes.

Korean Podcast

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »
Also, I like the irrepressible Indian hospitality: it's like, hey I know we are technically criminals, and you guys are journalists who have come over to investigate us, but you are guests in our country! Are you having a good time?

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:34:17 PM »
Also, I like the irrepressible Indian hospitality: it's like, hey I know we are technically criminals, and you guys are journalists who have come over to investigate us, but you are guests in our country! Are you having a good time?

Ah! That makes some sense. It seemed strange how they toggled between "you may just disappear" and "try this excellent food".

Korean Podcast

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »
this was fucking great!  Thank you.
I was enthralled. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
I gotta give this a listen.  These guys call me about once a week and I sort of enjoy wasting their time... I'm getting good at making them think they've got a real chance with me before I pop their bubble.  Then we swear at each other and hang up.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
When they called me I told them "Your mother fucks elephants in Hell." They seemed to get grumpy at that point.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 04:12:46 PM »
Seconded.  In fact all of Reply all is great.  And right now they are doing a user voted best of rerun.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
I gotta give this a listen.  These guys call me about once a week and I sort of enjoy wasting their time... I'm getting good at making them think they've got a real chance with me before I pop their bubble.  Then we swear at each other and hang up.

Me too, exactly this ^
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

personate-rain