Author Topic: Strange food combinations you really like?  (Read 11691 times)

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
Re: Strange food combinations you really like?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2018, 02:35:11 PM »
You all belong in the X-Men and should be hunted for sport.

But Im a fan of chips (fries) dipped in butterscotch.

Hahaha, spare me thought? - I like beef jerky and sneakers at the same time. I KNOW IT'S NOT HEALTHY.

I told you because I am a masochist.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
I made some bacon, then took the bacon grease and poured it directly on pork rinds and ate that like a bowl of cereal.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
I made some bacon, then took the bacon grease and poured it directly on pork rinds and ate that like a bowl of cereal.
Breakfast of Champions!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 07:32:32 PM »
My mother used bacon fat as salad dressing. Get fresh veggies right out of the garden and drown them in fat. Good eatin'.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 07:48:44 PM »
My mother used bacon fat as salad dressing. Get fresh veggies right out of the garden and drown them in fat. Good eatin'.

I stir-fry veggies in bacon fat (and other fats). Makes them edible.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 09:03:17 PM »
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Usually with fresh Ghost or Scorpion peppers if I have any on hand from the garden. Actually, just about any hot sauce or peppers go well with peanut or almond butter.

And there is my first post on the SGU forums. Off to a good start.  :-\
Welcome, Lothar! Nice Mike Myers reference. :)

To me, no PB&J is worthy if there isn't a good glob of habañero sauce mixed into the peanut butter. Bacon sounds like a nice change from jelly too.

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 07:37:41 AM »
My grandmother would combine bacon fat with red wine vinegar and pour it over salad greens and onions (and the bacon of course).  The pan sizzled as she drenched the greens in hot fat.  She called it "wilted lettuce"...no idea if that was some local name she grew up with or what.  There might be a reason my family has a history of heart problems /shrug.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
Pineapple on pizza is one of my favorite things.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »
My grandmother would combine bacon fat with red wine vinegar and pour it over salad greens and onions (and the bacon of course).  The pan sizzled as she drenched the greens in hot fat.  She called it "wilted lettuce"...no idea if that was some local name she grew up with or what.  There might be a reason my family has a history of heart problems /shrug.

If there is a reason, that’s not it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 11:50:46 AM »

This is an old PA Dutch recipe https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/338422-hot-bacon-dressing--pa-dutch

Wos-Wit makes it if you dont want to make it yourself https://www.wos-wit.com/shop/salad-dressings/28-5-oz-bacon-dressing/

My grandmother put it on fresh picked dandelions warm but I prefer it on spinach. 
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 11:59:39 AM »
Grape Jelly and Heinz Chili sauce meatballs

I'm sure this came out of some old Betty Crocker book in the 1950s but my family has been making them since I was a kid and I love them. I make them more often during the holidays.

The cheaper version you use frozen meatballs but Mom would make fresh ones and use crushed corn flakes rather than breadcrumbs in the balls.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 01:09:18 PM »
Grape Jelly and Heinz Chili sauce meatballs

I'm sure this came out of some old Betty Crocker book in the 1950s but my family has been making them since I was a kid and I love them. I make them more often during the holidays.

The cheaper version you use frozen meatballs but Mom would make fresh ones and use crushed corn flakes rather than breadcrumbs in the balls.

^^ Yep must have been some 1950s-60s  Good Housekeeping cookbook or something.
They LOVED having recipes where you just mixed things from jars. (probably where that awful green bean and cream of mushroom soup casserole came from)

The variation we had was grape jelly & ketchup as a sauce for cocktail weenies.
it was kept warm in something like a fondue pot or something.
I loved it until I saw how it was made.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »
Americans have some weird ideas about food.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »
Americans have some weird ideas about food.

True, this one shocks many Americans when they find out the ingredients. They taste better than they should.  The ingredients make sense when you break down what is in both products. BTW Heinz Chili sauce is not a "hot sauce" its closer to ketchup with extra onion and seasonings. I honestly don't know what people use it for except this dish.

I looked around and found a fruit chutney from your country that probably has a similar flavor profile with tomato and fruit.  http://www.aussieproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DDRC25

Rosella Fruit Chutney, 250g. Jar.
A classic Australian chutney that has been gracing our tables since the early 1900's. Enjoy with all cold meats or on any sandwich.

Ingredients:
Tomato (46%) (From Paste), Fruit (22%) [Pear Paste, Apples (Contains Preservative 220), Sultanas, Currants], Sugar, Treacle, Onions, Salt, Food Acids (260, 330), Thickener (1442), Mustard Seeds (0.1%), Spice & Spice Extracts, Colour (150c), Vegetable Gum (415), Natural Flavour (Lemon, Cayenne).

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2018, 09:49:04 PM »
(probably where that awful green bean and cream of mushroom soup casserole came from)

Friendly Wife is making this for T-dinner tomorrow... except not canned soup. Including the crunchy onion things.

This is my Iowa-boy comfort food.
Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain
personate-rain