Author Topic: Strange food combinations you really like?  (Read 11159 times)

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Strange food combinations you really like?
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2018, 10:58:48 PM »
Grape Jelly and Heinz Chili sauce meatballs

I'm sure this came out of some old Betty Crocker book in the 1950s but my family has been making them since I was a kid and I love them. I make them more often during the holidays.

The cheaper version you use frozen meatballs but Mom would make fresh ones and use crushed corn flakes rather than breadcrumbs in the balls.

^^ Yep must have been some 1950s-60s  Good Housekeeping cookbook or something.
They LOVED having recipes where you just mixed things from jars. (probably where that awful green bean and cream of mushroom soup casserole came from)

The variation we had was grape jelly & ketchup as a sauce for cocktail weenies.
it was kept warm in something like a fondue pot or something.
I loved it until I saw how it was made.

Reminds me of something I read about the other day.

Alas, Babylon was a novel about nuclear war written in the 50s. There's a conversation after the war about survival in the new world.

Helen: What happens to babies?
Doctor: Evaporated or condensed canned milk... while it lasts. After that, it's mother's milk.
Helen: That will be old-fashioned, won't it?
It's always more complicated than that.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2019, 06:01:34 PM »
Not really strange, but I like shamburgers. That's everything but the meat-like object.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2019, 10:14:23 AM »
Americans have some weird ideas about food.
Most countries and localities have some weird ideas about food when looked at from the outside.  American food used to be rather boring and staid by comparison to most nations; meat, potatoes and a veg cooked into paste. 

Grape Jelly and Heinz Chili sauce meatballs

I'm sure this came out of some old Betty Crocker book in the 1950s but my family has been making them since I was a kid and I love them. I make them more often during the holidays.

The cheaper version you use frozen meatballs but Mom would make fresh ones and use crushed corn flakes rather than breadcrumbs in the balls.
The jelly/chilli sauce meatballs sounds disgusting at first but when you think about it, its just a sweet and savory sauce with meat, which a very common combination.   That being said, the prepared food makers of the US have always published recipes to encourage folks to use their products but that really exploded in the 50s.  This probably came out of a heinz cook book from the 50s.

Side note, greenbean casserole rather unsurprisingly came from cambells soup, the women that created it recently died. Dorcas Reilly, Dorcas, a name that likely died out about the time she invented that iconic casserole. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:17:39 AM by Ah.hell »

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2019, 10:26:20 AM »
American food is anything but boring.

As a country of immigrants our food reflects a wide variety of cultures with numerous cuisines that are uniquely American. These include Cajun, Tex/Mex, New Mexican, and the variations of Italian, Chinese, Thai and Japanese  cuisines that evolved  from the cuisines of those countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2019, 02:24:10 PM »
I don't think this is strange, but my wife does. Peanut butter and maple syrup.

On pancakes. Yum.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »
In Australia, Easter hot cross buns start to be sold in the supermarkets the day after Christmas (there was actually a sighting of them back in November last year, which was a record).  I love them for the fruit and cinnamon.  There’s also an Australian yeast-based spread, Vegemite, which looks like sump oil (and possibly tastes like it too - I personally prefer Marmite which is less salty but sweeter).

I like hot cross buns, microwaved, with Marmite or Vegemite (no butter though).
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »
Balut.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2019, 03:31:14 AM »
Balut.

Vegemite balut tripe burrito.   

NO, not really.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2019, 05:46:29 AM »
Balut.

NO, not really.

Vegemite gets a bad rap because cheeky Aussies trick foreigners into eating too much of it in one go on their first taste test.  ;)

You don't take a spoonful and try eating it like that. Even we would gag on that. It's nice in very small doses on the right accompaniment.

You put the thinnest layer you possibly can onto a buttered piece of bread, toast or crumpet and eat it like that.

We give it to 6 month old babies. Who absolutely love it.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2019, 05:37:44 PM »
Balut.

NO, not really.

Vegemite gets a bad rap because cheeky Aussies trick foreigners into eating too much of it in one go on their first taste test.  ;)

You don't take a spoonful and try eating it like that. Even we would gag on that. It's nice in very small doses on the right accompaniment.

You put the thinnest layer you possibly can onto a buttered piece of bread, toast or crumpet and eat it like that.

We give it to 6 month old babies. Who absolutely love it.

I tried a thin layer on buttered toast and I think its disgusting, whats weird is that I usually like odd foods from other countries. Ill try anything, usually twice.

I do see how it mite be good in other things so just to prove that im going to buy some on my next grocery run and get back to you.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2019, 12:58:27 AM »
I'm a Marmite guy.  I can eat it with  spoon.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2019, 02:02:43 AM »
I'm a Marmite guy.  I can eat it with  spoon.

So am I, even if the stuff we get in Australia is made in New Zealand.  It’s slightly sweeter and saltier than Vegemite, which is a poor substitute when Marmite isn’t available.  I did a 7 week cruise (never again) from Fremantle to Rome in 2015, stopping off Gallipoli for the 100th anniversary of the invasion.  The ship ran out of Vegemite 2 days before the end of the cruise, and a lot of passengers were very unhappy (but not as unhappy as the passengers on a cruise to the Antarctic when the ship ran out of beer 2 days before the end).
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2019, 06:06:42 AM »
I was sailing with the USS Midway battlegroup back in 1981. When we departed the Persian Gulf we made a stop in Oz on the way back to Yokosuka, Japan. A certain song was popular then so the supply guys got a load of Vegemite, expecting a demand for it. The little packets soon became a running joke as people found out how much of an acquired taste it was.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2019, 11:41:19 AM »
I just made a tuna sandwich. The tuna was:
1 can flaked white no-drain (or pressed dry)
1 tsp sweet relish
1 tsp sharp mustard (not sweet, horseradish infusions are fine)
¼ cup shredded cheddar (sharper is better)
2 tbsp mayonnaise

Mix thoroughly. Put on bread. If you're feeling excitable put a slice of cheese on top, open face, and broil briefly. Eat.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2019, 08:17:19 PM »
I just made a tuna sandwich. The tuna was:
1 can flaked white no-drain (or pressed dry)
1 tsp sweet relish
1 tsp sharp mustard (not sweet, horseradish infusions are fine)
¼ cup shredded cheddar (sharper is better)
2 tbsp mayonnaise

Mix thoroughly. Put on bread. If you're feeling excitable put a slice of cheese on top, open face, and broil briefly. Eat.

I gave up canned fish a long time ago when I discovered sushi in the early 90s, Tuna tasted disgusting out of a can from that point forward, the thought repulses me now.   I have never liked sardines or similar. Anchovies are good as a flavor element but I cant eat them strait out of the can. I'll do canned clams in a few dishes.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

personate-rain