Author Topic: Strange food combinations you really like?  (Read 12710 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Strange food combinations you really like?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 07:36:09 PM »
My wife thinks salt on watermelon is weird, but that was pretty common in Iowa when I was a kid.
Salt and sugar trigger the same receptors on your tongue.

My weirdness is drinking apple cider vinegar with hot sauce.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 08:46:12 PM »
You all belong in the X-Men and should be hunted for sport.

But Im a fan of chips (fries) dipped in butterscotch.

Offline Jaloopa

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »
Ever since I was a very small kid, I have enjoyed peanut butter and Vegemite sandwiches.

OMG! I've never encountered anyone else aware of this apart from people I've introduced to it.

Of course being English it's peanut butter and marmite for me, but the same basic idea.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 10:32:21 AM »
Hog pellets. As a city boy I'd eat them when visiting a farm. Sort of an alfalfa-y cardboard-y goodness about them. The pellets themselves are a strange combination of things you don't even want to know about.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
Pickled Hearing and Cheese Sandwiches
Hotdogs in tortilla
Onion and mayo sandwiches.
Instant ramen noodles drained and mixed with canned chili. 

Probably number one weird thing I like that nobody else does"
Pineapple, jalepeno, and ham or pepperoni pizza. 

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
I love tofu. But I cook it until it's firm inside and golden-brown outside, and with onions and spices. Most places serve it nearly raw, which is why most people are disgusted by it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
I love tofu. But I cook it until it's firm inside and golden-brown outside, and with onions and spices. Most places serve it nearly raw, which is why most people are disgusted by it.
I have successfully gotten my tofu to come out this way exactly once. Your secret? I usually wind up with an unevenly-cooked, stuck together mess.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 01:34:46 PM »

Agree, when cooked properly it is delicious.
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »
I have successfully gotten my tofu to come out this way exactly once. Your secret? I usually wind up with an unevenly-cooked, stuck together mess.

I cut it into cubes maybe half an inch on a side. I put it in a cast-iron skillet, usually with chopped onion, but that's optional, and some water, and add spices. Examples are chopped garlic, ground black pepper, hot curry powder, paprika, celery seed. I used to add soy sauce or Bragg liquid aminos, but those have too much salt for my present diet. Instead I add some potassium chloride (No-Salt) as a salt substitute. Maybe some sherry (I use Amontillado sherry for cooking). Maybe a little maple syrup. I'm still learning how to substitute for soy sauce, so I'm planning on trying a wee bit of blackstrap molasses, since that seems to work well for a fish marinade. I add some olive oil, which will help reduce sticking later when the water is gone.

I turn the heat on high and stir from time to time. As you've observed, if you don't stir it will all stick together. When the water is nearly gone I reduce the heat to medium and at this point I begin to stir it continuously, constantly scraping the bottom of the skillet with a spatula. I like using the cast-iron skillet because I can use a stainless steel spatula and really scrape the bottom. It's done when the tofu is golden brown. It will be a mix of the original cubes and some crumbly bits from all that stirring and scraping.

Sometimes I cut up a previously-baked potato, and add it in at the point where the water is gone and the continuous stirring starts. Alternatively, sometimes I'll serve the tofu with brown rice. (Cooked separately.) The combination of tofu and brown rice is a complete protein.

I've never attempted to cook curried vegetables from scratch, but sometimes I get those foil packets of curry and dump that on the cooked tofu.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 02:25:52 PM »
Pate.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline stardust39

• Brand New
  • Surrounded by magic.
    • Thirteen Point Seven Billion
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
My daily afternoon snack is any flavor of Chobani 'Fruit on the Bottom' yogurt with unsalted mixed nuts stirred in and 4 prunes on top. Has several health benefits.   ;D
Once a pile of stardust, look at me now!

Offline Lothar of the Hill People

• Brand New
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 04:26:24 PM »
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Usually with fresh Ghost or Scorpion peppers if I have any on hand from the garden. Actually, just about any hot sauce or peppers go well with peanut or almond butter.

And there is my first post on the SGU forums. Off to a good start.  :-\
"What?"
~ Lugwig Van Beethoven

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »
My daily afternoon snack is any flavor of Chobani 'Fruit on the Bottom' yogurt with unsalted mixed nuts stirred in and 4 prunes on top. Has several health benefits.   ;D

That doesn't sound strange to me at all. And welcome to the SGU forums, stardust39.

Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Usually with fresh Ghost or Scorpion peppers if I have any on hand from the garden. Actually, just about any hot sauce or peppers go well with peanut or almond butter.

Now that does sound strange. And welcome to you, too, Lothar of the Hill People.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 05:37:57 PM »

And there is my first post on the SGU forums. Off to a good start.  :-\

Actually sounds pretty tasty  ;D
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Nemmzy

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »
My wife hates that I'll put my homemade kimchee in scrambled eggs.

Oh, how about a plate with a squiggly line of horseradish sauce (the mayo-like stuff), and a line of spicy mustard...on top of those lines goes Chicken Sausages cooked in beer and covered in hot (put in with the sausages at the end just to heat it up) Lemon and Dill Sauerkraut (homemade).  There's so many LOUD flavors on this plate it'll knock your dick in the dirt.

All of that sounds awesome to me!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:25:48 PM by Nemmzy »

personate-rain