Author Topic: Third-Party Hosting?  (Read 476 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Third-Party Hosting?
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:27:24 PM »
I've been using Photobucket to host pictures posted here. Now, when I tried to post pictures from this summer's hiking, I was able to load them to Photobucket just fine, but when I try to post them here, Photobucket gives me a message saying they've noticed I'm using them for third-party hosting, and if I want to continue, they want $399 per year. They have a $60/year membership, but that does not include hosting.

So, does anybody know a good site for third-party hosting?

Note that I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount, but I don't consider $400/year to be a reasonable amount. If worse comes to worse, I can just link to an album on my Dropbox page, but that would require a click-through and only the link would show up in the post, not the pictures. Both Google and Apple give me cloud space for photos, but I don't know if they allow third-party hosting.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Third-Party Hosting?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »
I've been using imgur with good results.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:06:50 PM »
Thanks.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:22:11 AM »
I've been using imgur with good results.

Same here. They seem to have no problem with hotlinking.

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:41:34 AM »
I've been on flickr.com for over a decade without any issue. Admittedly as a paid member, which allows me to upload more in a single sitting than a free member (as well as other benefits I suspect).

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »
Hmmm. So I went to create an account on Imgur and it said my preferred user name was taken. So I tried logging in with a password I was using way back when, and I got it, and found an old picture of myself. Apparently I signed up in 2011, and never used the account past uploading a few pics.

THIS IS A TEST to see if I can hot-link.

Me, from 2011 or maybe earlier.

Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
Okay, it works. And no, I don't know where that was taken.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain