Author Topic: Songs I hate but heard today  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Songs I hate but heard today
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »
Listen to a lot of radio and since I hate most music anyway I'm posting stuff I hear that I hate.

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline aleks335

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • I don't have any problem violating my own insights
Re: Songs I hate but heard today
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »
And me in my blissful ignorance thought Limp Bizkit and Crazy Town was the worst "rap rock" had to offer....
“I quite realized,” said Columbus
“That the earth was not a rhombus,
But I am a little annoyed
To find it an oblate spheroid.”

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »
I think I hit the wrong dial:

On a plus side i survived 4 seconds of this song.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:37:12 AM »
I want to Dance with Somebody.
I hate this song.......

OK I also love this song.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »
For years I have known WHO Taylor Swift was, but had no idea what songs are hers. So out of curiosity I checked out her msic.

I recognize a good many of them, of course, because I hear them at work and just about any department store, etc.

Oh SHE signs those awful songs. :-X

Offline aleks335

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • I don't have any problem violating my own insights
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:29 AM »
For years I have known WHO Taylor Swift was, but had no idea what songs are hers. So out of curiosity I checked out her msic.

I recognize a good many of them, of course, because I hear them at work and just about any department store, etc.

Oh SHE signs those awful songs. :-X
hehe.
Ill defend her album "1989" - but nothing else. :)
“I quite realized,” said Columbus
“That the earth was not a rhombus,
But I am a little annoyed
To find it an oblate spheroid.”

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »
I hate this song.......

"I will always love you", man do I hate that song, when it was a big hit, I'd wake up in the middle of the night angry.  Then slowly realize that song was playing on the radio.

Ok, I, nope I just hate it, worst song ever!

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »
i'm int he middle of a fb argument about ms swift right now..

I was never a big fan but she went from country to pop country to light pop to absolute generic sounding blandness.  And I don't think there is a bigger sin in artistry than generic blandness.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »
i'm int he middle of a fb argument about ms swift right now..

I was never a big fan but she went from country to pop country to light pop to absolute generic sounding blandness.  And I don't think there is a bigger sin in artistry than generic blandness.
Just about all country from the last 20+ years fits the bill for generic blandness.

I hate to complain about autotune, but there was an irritating amount of that filtering on just about every Swift tune I checked out--which I think is to her detriment because she seems to have a reasonably decent voice if you are into the borderline shrill. (To my ears most autotune overfiltering removes all the depth from one's voice, and only serves to make a thin or shrill voice even worse)

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »
meh, the vast majority of pop music since the 50s maybe even the 40s has been variations on a fairly uniform theme.  It has a good beat that I can dance to.  This blandness is occasionally punctuated by revolt; punk, grunge, metal, rap, and what not but its always returned to catchy tunes with vacuous lyrics. 

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:11:54 PM »
You can have immense variation with a limited number of chords and scales , but I think blandness has a lot to do with a lack of dynamics.
I partly blame the loudness wars (where you can actually SEE the dynamics flatten because of everything getting compressed) and the record companies have gotten so much better at market testing.
Plus so much popular music now is written by an entire squad of writers and producers tends to homogenize everything.

Where country music once had a very distinct sound and style (and orchestration) from other pop, now the only thing different is in the vocal track and lyric subjects (which is still very restricted in country).

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:53 PM »

Where country music once had a very distinct sound and style (and orchestration) from other pop, now the only thing different is in the vocal track and lyric subjects (which is still very restricted in country).

I'm not well versed enough to argue the rest but this statement is pretty much undeniable, it goes back at least to Shania Twain and Garth Brooks though. 

I never good could understand why anyone thought Swift was country though.   I can't name any of her songs but when they are pointed out to me, they've always sounded like pretty standard pop. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:15:27 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 11:46:20 AM »
I hate this song.......

"I will always love you", man do I hate that song, when it was a big hit, I'd wake up in the middle of the night angry.  Then slowly realize that song was playing on the radio.

Ok, I, nope I just hate it, worst song ever!

I have to stand up for Dolly Parton, who wrote the song and who recorded an infinitely better interpretation.  Whitney absolutely murderated this sweet, understated, heartbreaking gem. 

"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

personate-rain
personate-rain