Author Topic: What's the name of your Wi-Fi network?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline DoubleScotchWhiskey

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: What's the name of your Wi-Fi network?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 10:58:20 PM »
Tardis

I like this name best in the thread :)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
Tardis

Likewise. Maybe I'll finally switch mine and call the extender K9 or Dalek or something...
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
Tardis

Likewise. Maybe I'll finally switch mine and call the extender K9 or Dalek or something...
Call it "Barty Crouch, Jr."
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
Tardis

That's some nerd crossover right there! I like it.  :laugh:

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »
Tardis

That's some nerd crossover right there! I like it.  :laugh:
You could call the extender "Madeye".
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Entropydave

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Routinely confused
    • British & Irish Meteorite Society
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »
Mine is HurtswhenIP

well, I thought it was funny...
 >:(
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't.

Offline lobsterbash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
network name: NETGEAR
unprotected network

router UN: Admin
router PW: password

No antivirus software or firewalls, but I leave all the ports open just to be sure.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 06:39:26 PM »
NightStalkingSerialKillerNextDoor.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 06:49:12 PM »
network name: NETGEAR
unprotected network

router UN: Admin
router PW: password

No antivirus software or firewalls, but I leave all the ports open just to be sure.
I wish you'd upgrade your internet package though, these torrents take forever to download...

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2017, 07:00:08 PM »
In similar news -

My phone and tablet and laptop suddenly stopped communicating with my WIFI.  Phone said my password was not accepted... wth, something's wrong, I don't know what.  Can't be just my phone if the tablet and laptop are having the problem, but TV/Roku still worked, wife and daughter's phones both worked... I'm stumped, but considering a new router.

Lots of googling; tips on resetting your whole phone, tips on changing passwords, etc... I didn't think that was the problem though.  Then one tip said to "reset" your router - there was a little button on there and I just pushed it.  Also unplugged all the wires and re-plugged.  Success!

Anyway, I couldn't even find my router program to change the network name even if I wanted to.  I also have a couple of wifi extender things that plug into the walls at the ends of the house... not sure how I ever set those up either, but they have the same password and they wouldn't connect when I was having the problem too.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
Anyway, I couldn't even find my router program to change the network name even if I wanted to.  I also have a couple of wifi extender things that plug into the walls at the ends of the house... not sure how I ever set those up either, but they have the same password and they wouldn't connect when I was having the problem too.
You don't need software to do that.
1) connect to your router (an ethernet cable may be easiest)
2) Your router should have a sticker on the side of it with an IP address. Just type that into a browser. The label should also have a username and password listed. Log in with that.
3) change any settings you need to change!

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »
If you can't find it on the side, you should be able to google the manufacture/model to find out what the ip address is.

If all else fails, check what IP address it assigns to one of your devices on the network, the router is usually 0 or 1 on that network. If your computer is assigned local ip 192.168.1.30, the router is probably 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
Depending on your computer the router ip address can be found in settings on your computer.

For Macs it is in: System Preferences/Network

This will give a list of all the ip addresses of that computer, including the router. Which can be copy/pasted to the browser.

There would be something similar for Windows, I assume  ???

Mine is the exact address listed by wastrel. 192.168.1.1 We must have a similar router (D-Link N300)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »
In similar news -

My phone and tablet and laptop suddenly stopped communicating with my WIFI.  Phone said my password was not accepted... wth, something's wrong, I don't know what.  Can't be just my phone if the tablet and laptop are having the problem, but TV/Roku still worked, wife and daughter's phones both worked... I'm stumped, but considering a new router.

Lots of googling; tips on resetting your whole phone, tips on changing passwords, etc... I didn't think that was the problem though.  Then one tip said to "reset" your router - there was a little button on there and I just pushed it.  Also unplugged all the wires and re-plugged.  Success!

Clearly, your wife and daughter are gaslighting you: They changed the password on your router, then logged their own phones in with the new pw.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
With the new WPA2 exploit it would be a good thing to study up on how to update your firmware as well.  I have a feeling I'm going to be visiting lots of friends and family in the near future.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

personate-rain