Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 17106 times)

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »
That finale was terrible... Good messages, very Trek-like, but damn was that super unsatisfying, all over the place, and frankly just bizarre. I'd go so far as to say that it was the worst episode of the season. Bleh.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2018, 12:34:05 AM »
Clunky. That's the word I was looking for. That episodes was exceedingly clunky.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2018, 01:02:23 AM »
OK, after thinking on it for a few minutes here's my take on the episode:

It clumsily strung together a number of decent scenes with no regard to tonal, plot, emotional, or logical consistency, in order to hand-wave away the war, less than hand-wave away the game-changing tech of the Spore Drive, clumsily close Michael's atory arc and tie a bow on the moral of the season, and then tried (successfully it seems based on the limited reaction I've seen on reddit and elsewhere) to spackle shut all those holes with an extra clumsy and out of place heaping of fan service. Many constituent parts of the show were as well done as the rest of the season, but this episode screams last minute studio meddling. Knowing a bit about the production history, I wonder if it was a case of Fuller's intended finale not being compatible with what the studio wants, i.e. more seasons featuring this ship and crew, and so the new show runners had to make a mad dash to redirect and tie up all the delicate threads Fuller weaved throughout his season that were originally intended to lead to much different places.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:05:46 AM by Eternally Learning »

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
Yeah I thought it was really rushed and could have been at least 3 episodes.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »
Ha.  That was Clint Howard there. 

So many easter eggs.   Not sure if
(click to show/hide)

I am also not sure I buy that resolution.

The resolution at the end was a good one, but the way they implemented it was extremely hasty and not written well.  I generally blame the writing for that, but perhaps it was more due to trying to fit everything into that last episode.

(click to show/hide)

All in all I liked the episode with just the major nit I pointed out in the spoiler.  I blame it on editing and trying to squeeze this all into a single episode.  That really should have been two episodes.  But I'm still very much excited about the next season.
#non-belief denialist

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2018, 11:01:13 PM »
hmm, the klingon might have new brainwashing technology... I know, I'll have a one-on-one meeting with the victim, no guards, no nurses, no force-fields.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline tralfaz

• Off to a Start
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »
I've been thinking about Ash and Voq, it took me a while to understand what had happened, but now that I understand it I don't like what happened.

(click to show/hide)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2018, 02:28:19 PM »
I've been thinking about Ash and Voq, it took me a while to understand what had happened, but now that I understand it I don't like what happened.

(click to show/hide)

I mean, yeah, but I fully expect there to be fallout.  Of course I thought that AngelFromRent/Erique/Dr. Hugh Culber would be back and get better treatment over the long term, soooooo.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline tralfaz

• Off to a Start
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2018, 10:26:31 AM »
Of course I thought that AngelFromRent/Erique/Dr. Hugh Culber would be back and get better treatment over the long term, soooooo.

I'm pretty sure Wilson Cruz wanted out of the show because he's in the big Broadway revival of Boys in the Band opening soon (with Zach Quinto and Jim Parsons).  Besides, there's always mirror Hugh.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2019, 06:07:39 AM »
Welp, season 2 has now begun!  I have to first say that in the intervening time between the S1 finale and the S2 premiere, my opinion of season 1 has fallen a bit.  I need to re-watch it, but at this point I'm feeling like it just wasn't all that good.  This premiere I thought, was guilty of some of the things I didn't like much about season 1 but also seems to be attempting to fix some of them as well.  One major thing I hadn't thought about before was how every other Trek has always been about the crew working together, but season 1 was largely about a few big characters and left much of the bridge crew completely overlooked like the helmsman and tactical officers.  This episode really seemed to be taking some steps to make them more involved and have more to do, but it is yet to be seen if they are ever going to be explored further as characters with stories of their own.  It also seems like they are trying to do a big 180 on the grim tone of season 1 with almost an overload of stupid jokes and light-hearted moments.  Overall, I like the happier, have fun direction but they need a little work on setting a tone that works because some things are just out of place like the sneezing alien.

Beyond that, I'm pretty happy with Pike this time around though he seems a bit generic so far, but I'm down to see where he goes.  I am a little intrigued by the main story this season though I'm still really confused what exactly was supposed to have happened to the Enterprise to knock it out of commission so badly.  Honestly, it feels like a rush job to explain why they inserted yet another existing Trek name into this series and once again makes me feel like this show would be better off taking some time to establish its own identity rather than borrow from the existing canon to pique our interest and get us invested.  Having Spock AND Pike now major characters in this season is really disappointing for me, even if they do it well.  I really think this series could have benefited greatly from just making Saru the captain and I really, really think that jamming so many TOS characters into this show is just robbing this show of the chance to get its own identity and for its characters to win us over.

All in all, this was a reasonably fun episode and I think that despite my misgivings about many of their decisions, it has a reasonable amount of promise and seems on course to be overall better than the first season.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »
OK, now episode 2 was just fantastic.  Honestly the first Discovery episode I can remember feeling that way about.  Really, really well done and very classic Trek.

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2019, 08:58:59 AM »
OK, now episode 2 was just fantastic.  Honestly the first Discovery episode I can remember feeling that way about.  Really, really well done and very classic Trek.

Same here, really liked it, but I also liked the first episode of S2 also.
#non-belief denialist

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »
I didn't realize it had started. Will watch both tonight!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »
Looks like this will be some kind of quest story arc this season.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #224 on: February 16, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »
I'm still not fond of the whole spore network thing, and now the suggestion that there is some life force energy bs at work in there is a bit much to swallow. Other than that though I'm really enjoying this season. It's pretty action packed, too.
Mooohn!

personate-rain