Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 16713 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2019, 11:03:08 PM »
... and now the suggestion that there is some life force energy bs at work in there is a bit much to swallow.

I'm on the same page, though I think that's been recurring in Star Trek since TOS though with people swapping bodies, inhabiting computers, and so on.  I can't really fault Disco for doing the same thing.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2019, 09:37:01 AM »
Keep wondering when Spock will make an appearance.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »
... and now the suggestion that there is some life force energy bs at work in there is a bit much to swallow.

I'm on the same page, though I think that's been recurring in Star Trek since TOS though with people swapping bodies, inhabiting computers, and so on.  I can't really fault Disco for doing the same thing.

Well said. The spore thing seems a little dumb but, hey, Star Trek does dumb things.

Korean Podcast

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »

Well said. The spore thing seems a little dumb but, hey, Star Trek does dumb things.

Yeah, true I guess, fair enough.
Mooohn!

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #229 on: February 23, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »
Nitpick: Why does every TV show and movie insist on saying "evolution" when they're talking about development in a single individual? Are there no screen writers that understand the difference? I guess it's a sexier word, maybe, but it irks me.

Also, never thought I'd see a crossover episode between star trek and the Ring movie series.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:52:05 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2019, 04:40:29 PM »
Semi-related - would you pay to see  TWoK with live Shatner afterward?  I'm thinking my wife might consider giving me this as a birthday present.  I suspect there may be too many "get a life" guys attending though.

Set your phasers to fun! Prepare to be beamed up for an unforgettable night with William Shatner, live on stage. In this unique evening you’ll enjoy a screening of the classic film “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” on the big screen. Following the movie, one of Hollywood’s most recognizable figures, William Shatner, will take to the stage to share fascinating and humorous behind the scenes stories from portraying the original “Captain James T. Kirk” in the Star Trek television series and movies as well as his career spanning over 50 years as an award winning actor, producer, director and writer. Fans will also have a chance to ask William their question during the audience led Q&A
Amend and resubmit.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2019, 10:51:56 PM »
Welp, they've finally shown us Spock and now have taken us back to

(click to show/hide)

What did everyone think?  Personally, I'm tired of revisiting old people and places and want to just go somewhere new, but ignoring that I guess this was fine.  Didn't thrill me, and I'm really tired of Spock being treated like the most important Star Trek character to have ever existed, but given the context of the show it went about as well as could be expected.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2019, 02:25:50 AM »
Welp, they've finally shown us Spock and now have taken us back to

(click to show/hide)

What did everyone think?  Personally, I'm tired of revisiting old people and places and want to just go somewhere new, but ignoring that I guess this was fine.  Didn't thrill me, and I'm really tired of Spock being treated like the most important Star Trek character to have ever existed, but given the context of the show it went about as well as could be expected.

I am in total agreement. I really like Discovery, but I can't be arsed about connecting it to the TOS. I don't kmow why they just can't tell their own stories, like all the other Star Trek series did.

At least the more Spock, the less Kingons,

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2019, 03:19:53 AM »
I will say this though, at least this season the people and places we are revisiting are, for the most part, fairly untouched in Trek lore.  Pike, the place we visited last week, and even this part of Spock's life (you know, bridging the gap between smiling at flowers in The Cage and his typical stoic, emotionless self in Where No Man Has Gone Before) are largely left unexplored and unknown.  Still wouldn't be my preference as I think the more we are doing this, the more Discovery gets robbed of its own identity, but it could be way, way worse.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2019, 08:02:43 AM »
I will say this though, at least this season the people and places we are revisiting are, for the most part, fairly untouched in Trek lore.  Pike, the place we visited last week, and even this part of Spock's life (you know, bridging the gap between smiling at flowers in The Cage and his typical stoic, emotionless self in Where No Man Has Gone Before) are largely left unexplored and unknown.  Still wouldn't be my preference as I think the more we are doing this, the more Discovery gets robbed of its own identity, but it could be way, way worse.

Sometimes I feel like how politicians wrap themselves in the flag to bolster support, Star Trek series go for the time travel plot to bolster a season.

Korean Podcast

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2019, 03:17:53 PM »
Red Letter Media just did a ReView of season 2 and I have to say they seemed to have had the exact same reaction to the season that I did. Also, they pointed out something I've never noticed before, the fact that the opening credits are more producers than any other credit. Like seriously, they counted and 21 producers were listed...

personate-rain
personate-rain