Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 18993 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
I found the cadet a bit too whedonesque but I like the show way more than expected.
Im usually more a fan of trek in principle than practice.

Offline mikeym

• Off to a Start
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 03:50:58 PM »
https://www.themarysue.com/cadet-sylvia-tilly-star-trek-discovery/

Interesting take on the cadet.

I think that was exactly what I thought they were doing with that character.

Ok. I gave the 3rd episode a second viewing this evening and I'm afraid it did not improve for me.

One of the things that was really bugging me on the rewatch was just how horribly contrived all the interpersonal conflicts are:

(click to show/hide)

And the thing about context being everything and directives being nothing felt like a huge middle finger to the prime directive and to Star Trek in general. Perhaps they are setting this up as a bad idea to be overcome - it was after all said by the most villainous of captains - but I'm not even sure that's where they're going with it or if that would excuse it.

(click to show/hide)

I think despite it being available on Netflix here. I'll have to bow out from the rest of this series, and maybe come back to it later if people tell me it changes direction dramatically. At least I have the Expanse, though Star Trek it is not.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
I found the cadet a bit too whedonesque but I like the show way more than expected.

Did you mean Wheatonesque?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »

Did you mean Wheatonesque?
Lol! No! But good catch!
I mean she came across as if she had been written by Joss Whedon.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
And the thing about context being everything and directives being nothing felt like a huge middle finger to the prime directive and to Star Trek in general.

AFAIK, there is no Prime Directive right now.  If you notice Captain Georgou mentions the precursor to it in the first episode.  One of the things I think they are going to deal with in this series is how did the Prime Directive come about and why.

Quote from: memory-alpha
Picard explains the Prime Directive after Durken asks why the Federation would not offer their superior technology to his people. Picard says that it would be irresponsible and destructive

Picard explains that when Starfleet met with the Klingons, contact was "disastrous" and decades of war resulted. After that, the Federation decided that surveillance of this nature was necessary. He assures Durken that in time, full disclosure of the surveillance would have been made.

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
They didn't meet the Klingons in Discovery though, they met them in Enterprise. Though it was hardly disastrous and decades of war didn't result so who knows?

Also, not sure how the Prime Directive stops the war started in Discovery anyways. This wasn't first contact and wasn't a situation where we could have observed without interfering. It was a hostile shop knowingly encroaching on Federation space in the hopes of sparking war.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:17:21 PM by Eternally Learning »

Offline mikeym

• Off to a Start
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2017, 04:21:34 PM »
And the thing about context being everything and directives being nothing felt like a huge middle finger to the prime directive and to Star Trek in general.

AFAIK, there is no Prime Directive right now.  If you notice Captain Georgou mentions the precursor to it in the first episode.  One of the things I think they are going to deal with in this series is how did the Prime Directive come about and why.

Quote from: memory-alpha
Picard explains the Prime Directive after Durken asks why the Federation would not offer their superior technology to his people. Picard says that it would be irresponsible and destructive

Picard explains that when Starfleet met with the Klingons, contact was "disastrous" and decades of war resulted. After that, the Federation decided that surveillance of this nature was necessary. He assures Durken that in time, full disclosure of the surveillance would have been made.

Well that's at least a bit interesting. I had picked up on the prime directive not being a thing yet, but didn't recall what Picard had said about Klingon first contact. I have to say I've begun to expect...

(click to show/hide)

Offline tralfaz

• Off to a Start
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2017, 08:11:08 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Can I (should I) quote a spoiler?  Isn't there some mention in one of the many series that talks of some techno-genetic difference in appearance of the TOS Klingons and the TNG era (and movie era?) Klingons?

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2017, 05:46:18 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Can I (should I) quote a spoiler?  Isn't there some mention in one of the many series that talks of some techno-genetic difference in appearance of the TOS Klingons and the TNG era (and movie era?) Klingons?

In DS9, when they went back to TOS episode 'Trouble With Tribbles' the crew ask Worf about it, and he responds with a, "it's not something we talk about'; but then in Enterprise we discover that it's due to a virus that was spread during an eugenics attempt. I'm not spoilering it cause those episodes are 12 years old!

Online mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »
I much more liked the retcon that the Klingon empire is basically a collection of races (two or more). The TOS era saw a more human like minority come to power. But by Star Trek: the Movie the majority race had retaken power.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline tralfaz

• Off to a Start
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »
@mindme

I'm curious, where does that come from?

Offline mikeym

• Off to a Start
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2017, 09:18:01 AM »
In DS9, when they went back to TOS episode 'Trouble With Tribbles' the crew ask Worf about it, and he responds with a, "it's not something we talk about'; but then in Enterprise we discover that it's due to a virus that was spread during an eugenics attempt. I'm not spoilering it cause those episodes are 12 years old!

Yeh, this plot line was already done in Enterprise to retcon the TOS beardy Klingons to the Klingons from The Motion Picture+, but I'm in no way confident that they wont steal this for STD... I mean retcon the retcon.

Online mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2017, 11:44:44 AM »
@mindme

I can't quite remember. I think I heard a guy explaining it at a gaming convention back when Star Trek: Wrath of Khan came out. We were musing about the Klingons and that was his brilliant retcon.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
@mindme

I can't quite remember. I think I heard a guy explaining it at a gaming convention back when Star Trek: Wrath of Khan came out. We were musing about the Klingons and that was his brilliant retcon.
IIRC, the kirk-era Klingons were mutants, having tried to enhance themselves with human DNA (or maybe it was enhancements from Khan-like metahumans?) and accidentally created a plague that made them more human and also weaker, both causing infertility and whatnot. The TNG Klingons were the product of genetic therapy to try re-Klingify the Klingons using stored samples of dead tissue. Disco (or STD if you prefer) Klingons would then be pre-Kirk and pre-infection. The difference in motif is explained by the 24 houses not yet having merged into a more unified empire after the more-or-less end of hostilities with the federation.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2017, 05:07:50 PM »
I much more liked the retcon that the Klingon empire is basically a collection of races (two or more). The TOS era saw a more human like minority come to power. But by Star Trek: the Movie the majority race had retaken power.

Best retcon I've heard, except for, "We had a bigger budget and better make up in 1980 than in 1960"

personate-rain