Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 15501 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Star Trek: Discovery
« on: September 24, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »
Well, damn sight better than the Orville.  This has Brian Fuller's DNA all over it.  A little too claustrophobic so far, but that a minor quibble.

Anyone else watch?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »
Yes.  I was way happier with it than I expected to be.  I have some small issues here and there, but overall I was happy with the look of it, the acting, and the plot.  My biggest complaint thus far though is that the Klingon makeup has so much prosthetics that their faces are practically immobilized; the leader especially.  Some were better than others, but overall it was very off-putting... though maybe that was the point so who knows?  I was also taken aback when Michael nerve pinched her beloved captain.  I mean, I get it, but it just seemed so extreme.  It is making me wonder if perchance she's suffering from PTSD from the Klingon attack from her childhood and that maybe that fact coupled with the likely numerous new cases being developed during the premiere and continuing war could be a major theme of the show.  It'd certainly be relevant to the present day.

At this point, I'm not 100% sold on it, but it has piqued my interest and I'm very happy that it wasn't as bad as some of the trailers made it seem.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:52:20 AM »
I didn't care for the first two episodes: bad acting, bad writing, no likeable characters.  But the previews at the end of the second episode looked promising. 
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »
I liked it. Science officer Saru is easily one of the best new ST characters since Chakotay. The guy who played Sarek is pretty weak. They went with the stupid lens flare shit and that made it hard to watch. Fuck you JJ. The new Klingons have potential. Ep 2 left me going "where do they go from here?"

How long is each ep? I couldn't figure it out.

And, wow, it's been a while since I watched a TV show with commercials that I couldn't pause.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 10:04:58 PM »
I liked it. Science officer Saru is easily one of the best new ST characters since Chakotay. The guy who played Sarek is pretty weak. They went with the stupid lens flare shit and that made it hard to watch. Fuck you JJ. The new Klingons have potential. Ep 2 left me going "where do they go from here?"

How long is each ep? I couldn't figure it out.

And, wow, it's been a while since I watched a TV show with commercials that I couldn't pause.

On All Access without commercials, the episodes ran 40 minutes.  Even though they're putting these on streaming, that is perfect timing for a 1 hour Television show with commercials.
#non-belief denialist

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »
In Canada it's being run on the Space channel, Sunday 8 pm or 9 pm. One of those. Anyway, a great time slot. I'm really not sure how many people in the USA are going to sign up for yet another streaming service. Hopefully CBS will quickly see there's a big audience and release it as a legit CBS series.

Space is like the USA's SyFy. It's also gone down the fucking tubes like SyFy, given (like so many other channels) to cheap reality TV shows (ghost hunting shows). I haven't watched Space since the BSG days.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
In Canada it's being run on the Space channel, Sunday 8 pm or 9 pm. One of those. Anyway, a great time slot. I'm really not sure how many people in the USA are going to sign up for yet another streaming service. Hopefully CBS will quickly see there's a big audience and release it as a legit CBS series.

Space is like the USA's SyFy. It's also gone down the fucking tubes like SyFy, given (like so many other channels) to cheap reality TV shows (ghost hunting shows). I haven't watched Space since the BSG days.

To be fair, SciFi started in the tubes with mostly cheap direct to video monster movies and reruns of second rate direct to syndication series like Friday the 13th, the series.  It previously had a number of good and even great shows then went back down the tubes.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »
I fell asleep while watching and then discovered there was no way to finish watching legally. 

But umm, the first 15 minutes seemed OK, though everything felt very fast paced and rushed.  I like my Trek slow and calculating.
But even in that 15 minutes I could tell that the acting was strong at least. 
I don't think my interest was piqued enough to pay for the rest, but I might do the free trial and check it out more.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
I only watched the pilot so far, and I can't say I was hooked. It was good enough, but lacked anything that would make it particularly interesting.

Will watch it a bit more and see what happens.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
also, I surprisingly didn't hate the Orville pilot.
It wasn't great or anything, but I was surprised that it seems they are going for more a straightforward sci-fi than a total parody.  Tone wise (not quality, just tone!)  it felt closer to firefly than spaceballs.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline tyy

• Brand New
  • Being wrong is inevitable
    • Asentopaikka
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
It was different to earlier Treks, but I didn't mind. Actually liked the new Klingons. And since it airs on Netflix in Europe, why not to watch because I pay for Netflix anyways.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
Shameless plug for the Greatest Discovery podcast, a Star Trek podcast by two guys who are sort of embarrassed to have a Star Trek podcast. I loved their TNG 'cast, and I'm now going out of my way to watch STD earlier.
HIISSSSSSSS

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 04:24:44 PM »
It wasn't great or anything, but I was surprised that it seems they are going for more a straightforward sci-fi than a total parody.  Tone wise (not quality, just tone!)  it felt closer to firefly than spaceballs.

Check out the 3rd episode. It's way better in every regard (including the humor) and is a quintessential Trek style episode.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »

Check out the 3rd episode. It's way better in every regard (including the humor) and is a quintessential Trek style episode.

Except when it wasn't. I think the analogy that rings true for me is; imagine a meal.  Some dishes are stuff you can get anywhere and are cooked by a 6yo.   Other dishes are ones you love, that yoy havnt had in ages, and prepared by a good chef.

You have to eat all of it and do it blindfolded.   That for me is what its like to watch episode 3 of  The Orville.  One moment its pretty competent Sci Fi, next Seth snuck some shit in the mix.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:14:05 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »

Except when it wasn't. I think the analogy that rings true for me is; imagine a meal.  Some dishes are stuff you can get anywhere and are cooked by a 6yo.   Other dishes are ones you love, that yoy havnt had in ages, and prepared by a good chef.

You have to eat all of it and do it blindfolded.   That for me is what its like to watch episode 3 of  The Orville.  One moment its pretty competent Sci Fi, next Seth snuck some shit in the mix.

I never said it was perfect. Hell, most Star Trek episodes were far from perfect too. As much as it is like TNG, it is still its own thing as well and whatever deficiencies it's showing now could just as easily end up being growing pains as signs that it will not succeed. The 3rd episode did enough right that it's made me feel a bit better about its chances to become something memorable.

personate-rain