Author Topic: What's that thingy?  (Read 2554 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: What's that thingy?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 08:21:11 AM »
An old craft, predates cars by many orders of magnitude. Related though, in a way.
Googling the item... that adjustable top joint is not so common.
A cartwright's tool?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline junki

• Off to a Start
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »
cartwright
Getting warmer... A simpler method of transportation.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
cartwright
Getting warmer... A simpler method of transportation.
Hossless Cartwright?

Or a stand for working on bicycles.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
Certainly something sailing-related.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline junki

• Off to a Start
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 02:06:11 PM »
Not sailing, an older method of movement. Today, the craftsman might be found on the mall, doubling as a locksmith. Well, don't know if that's the case globally.

Offline junki

• Off to a Start
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »

(click to show/hide)

There's a few unrelated bits too, I don't know what the four slugs are, or the flap on the left.

Anyone have picture two?

Juha

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 06:27:07 PM »
Obvious in hindsight. :)

I actually wasn't too far off with my raising stake. Okay, yeah I was far off, but I wasn't too far off.
Self-described nerd

Offline junki

• Off to a Start
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »
Don't know what these are, found them among paper clips, thumb tacks etc. Probably some kind of stationery, fifties sixties or like that. Brass, unmarked.

The sliver of white polystyrene just sneaked into the picture, not related.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »
Kinda pointless if you don't know what it is. There should be an opportunity for someone to get a right answer and be confirmed. Otherwise people can post any tiny bit of trash they happen to see.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »
Snowshoes for elves.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 11:01:45 PM »
Kinda pointless if you don't know what it is. There should be an opportunity for someone to get a right answer and be confirmed. Otherwise people can post any tiny bit of trash they happen to see.
I suppose it depends on whether you see this as a contest asking "who can be the first to get what this is?", or whether you view it as a genuine enquiry asking "guys, I have no clue what this thing I found is - can anyone enlighten me?"

Personally I find the latter way more interesting in the former.
Self-described nerd

Offline junki

• Off to a Start
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 05:05:03 AM »
If someone can guess or knows the right word, there's good chance that there are pictures on the web of similar objects. To compare against.
I've been looking at fahnestock clip, suspender clip, medal ribbon clasp, wood shingle holder (cabin lighting sort) etc, but no luck yet.

The short wide clamp pops open easily, it would not hold heavy objects. Also, I adjust the timeframe, twenties to sixties.

So far the thingys have not been very cool... like the noisys generally are. Anyone got better ones?

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »
I suppose it depends on whether you see this as a contest asking "who can be the first to get what this is?", or whether you view it as a genuine enquiry asking "guys, I have no clue what this thing I found is - can anyone enlighten me?"

Fair enough.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »

Well, the OP started this thread with an item he knew the name and use of and showing us only a part of the item to make it more difficult to determine what it was, so he was clearly thinking of it as a contest.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline junki

• Off to a Start
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2017, 03:36:54 AM »
This way I can take part in the contest :)

I dismantled grandpa's pistol, Ortgies 6.35mm, thinking the brass thingy might clamp over the opening of an extra magazine. Or hold it. Nope, does not fit in any way I could think of.

personate-rain
personate-rain