Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 1676 times)

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Pumpkins
« on: October 29, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »
Show us yours:

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
Re: Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
Coming from anyone else, "Pumpkins: show us yours" wouldn't sound quite so...euphemistic.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
I'll take what I can get.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 05:38:07 PM »
I don't have pumpkins. It's not a thing in this country. And I find it weird. Why don't you just eat your pumpkins like normal people?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 05:44:30 PM »
I don't have pumpkins. It's not a thing in this country. And I find it weird. Why don't you just eat your pumpkins like normal people?

Ew!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »

Ew!
Roasted, alongside new potatoes and baby carrots with rosemary and gravy. Yum.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »
"Sugar pie" pumpkins are for eating. The jack-o-lantern pumpkins are lousy for eating.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 11:55:37 PM »
"Sugar pie" pumpkins are for eating. The jack-o-lantern pumpkins are lousy for eating.
There's lots of varieties of pumpkins for eating. The classic one here in Australia is called the Queensland Blue, which is odd because it's neither from Queensland nor blue.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »
I believe that in the Old Country people carved turnips or sweet potatoes or something to ward away evil spirits on All Hallows Eve. Arrived in the Americas they discovered that pumpkins were easier to hollow out and carve and put a candle inside. I have not carved a jack-o-lantern since I was a kid. And even then I might have only done it once, maybe twice. In the seniors' community I live in, people seem to favor store-bought plastic jack-o-lanterns, probably with an electric light if they are illuminated at all.

I do know that you can make pumpkin pie from canned sweet potatoes. I need to go to the store today to get some more sweet potatoes for roasting. I could post a picture of a sweet potato this afternoon. Nah, probably not worth the effort.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
There's lots of varieties of pumpkins for eating. The classic one here in Australia is called the Queensland Blue, which is odd because it's neither from Queensland nor blue.
When I was in high school I worked on a truck farm and we had two kinds of pumpkins, sugar pie and jack-o-lantern. That's the extent of my interest in those things even today.  ;)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »
When I was in high school I worked on a truck farm and we had two kinds of pumpkins, sugar pie and jack-o-lantern. That's the extent of my interest in those things even today.  ;)
Well that's just because you've never had a good roast Queensland Blue.

personate-rain