Author Topic: I think I want a voice-activated recorder gadget thinger.  (Read 772 times)

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
Re: I think I want a voice-activated recorder gadget thinger.
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 04:25:33 PM »
Stop bickering and help me think of a name for my new gadget!  I need the name of a famous secretary, I think.

Rose Mary Woods.  Especially appropriate for a voice recorder.

:roflolmao:

Very good!  I had just thought of Della, for Perry Mason's loyal secretary Della Street.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
Stop bickering and help me think of a name for my new gadget!  I need the name of a famous secretary, I think.

Harriet Welsch

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
My first thought was Moneypenny.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
Tawny Madison from Galaxy Quest.  To use the computer on the ship, the commander had to tell Tawny what he wanted and she had to ask the computer.  It was her only job, but as she says, "It's *stupid*, but I'm gonna do it! Okay?"
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
Well mine updates automagically to the cloud.  :P

Fuck "the cloud." That's just another word for storing your stuff on somebody else's computer.

I firmly believe in owning my own things and being the master of my own domain.
Well, the good news is that your firm belief puts you squarely in the first decade of the 2000s. Cloud service providers - it's their entire business model to keep your data safe, secure, and available on demand. Failing to do that is like a bank failing to keep money for you.

Remember floppy disks? Remember CDRom? Remember USB sticks? I haven't used them in years. I don't even regularly back up my laptop because I know that all the important stuff is available in the cloud.

Fuck a cloud. I have no interest in trusting my files to some commercial company. My own file server, which I built myself, holds 16 TB and it's nowhere near full. I have it set up to periodically archive all the most important stuff and upload it to an offsite backup service in an encrypted, compressed format. And like I said before, I have a quarter-TB of storage on my phone which includes a good portion of my audio collection so I don't have to rely on streaming music, podcasts, audiobooks and whatnot when I'm traveling between cities. No worries about the program dropping out due to poor cellular reception.

Banks pay interest to me for the privilege of holding my money. Cloud storage companies, on the other hand, charge money in exchange for holding my stuff, and often reserve themselves the "right" to look at and utilize it however they like. And they change their T&C like the blowing of the winds. It's all too much for me to be bothered keeping track of. They can stick their cloud up their asses as far as I'm concerned.

personate-rain