Author Topic: The Luddite Thread - Old tech you prefer over new tech?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Luddite Thread - Old tech you prefer over new tech?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »
I just traded my bare-bones pickup truck in on a real car. It often was essential in rural Iowa (not a fancy one, rather one that you can throw whatever crap you need to in the back for transport, and drive any muddy place the situation demanded), but not very practical in Florida. I do have to say, I like the new bells and whistles on the car.

It has been interesting over the last couple of years to watch the effect of the new Amish bishop whose flock surrounds the Iowa town. Cell phones (but only for business), hi-tech red flashing warning lights for the buggies, and the kids can now work "in the city" (population 2500).
The Amish have an interesting ideology.  It seems to be a sort of commandment to "keep things simple."  The meaning of which is kind of flexible.  Using technology for work but not home life seems to be a pretty common accommodation to modern life.  Blinkers on buggies seems like just good sense. 

Also, I don't trust all the fancy electric do-dads on cars.  Electric windows, locks, seats, auto-matic transmissions.... just seem like things that can go wrong.  I only recently got rid of my 99 carolla which had none of that and only tape deck.  I morn its passing.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »
Land lines. Still have one.

Pen and paper, and real books. Paper D&D books, character sheets, campaigns, with real dice, and not D&D Beyond, or whatever they called it.

Wooden chopping board and a chef's knife is all you need in the kitchen. Along with one good cast iron pan, a giant enamel roaster, a few small stainless steel pots. I just wish I had a gas cooktop.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »
Land lines. Still have one.

Pen and paper, and real books. Paper D&D books, character sheets, campaigns, with real dice, and not D&D Beyond, or whatever they called it.

Wooden chopping board and a chef's knife is all you need in the kitchen. Along with one good cast iron pan, a giant enamel roaster, a few small stainless steel pots. I just wish I had a gas cooktop.
Coleman makes them.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »
Other one I just thought of. I love cast iron frying pans.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 01:25:44 PM »
Those who say they use a wooden chopping block only: what do you cut your meat on?  I'm all for wood for chopping vegetables, but one needs a non-porous surface for safe handling on meats.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
Those who say they use a wooden chopping block only: what do you cut your meat on?  I'm all for wood for chopping vegetables, but one needs a non-porous surface for safe handling on meats.
Boiling water will clean it up in a snap.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
You can clean off the residue and bacteria, just use something a bit stronger than dish soap (I use MrClean and hot water). And if you don't want to stop everything just to clean your board, you can always flip it over.

The only stains on my cutting board are from oil, and that's good for the wood anyway.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »
Boiling water will clean it up in a snap.

No, boiling water will not decontaminate a porous wood surface.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 01:41:30 PM »
You can clean off the residue and bacteria, just use something a bit stronger than dish soap (I use MrClean and hot water).

Bacteria can survive in the pores of a wooden surface, and I don't know of any disinfectant that will claim to decontaminate such a porous surface.  Indeed, most will clearly state that they are effective only on non-porous surfaces.

And if you don't want to stop everything just to clean your board, you can always flip it over.

Thereby contaminating your entire work surface so that you have to stop and clean that.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 01:53:04 PM »
I recall some research from years ago that claimed the tannins in wood are effective at killing nasties.  I wonder how current that is?

According to the USDA, you can sanitize wood cutting boards.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/cutting-boards-and-food-safety

Both wooden and plastic cutting boards can be sanitized with a solution of 1 tablespoon of unscented, liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of water. Flood the surface with the bleach solution and allow it to stand for several minutes. Rinse with clear water and air dry or pat dry with clean paper towels.

https://lifehacker.com/5847591/10-stubborn-food-myths-that-just-wont-die

It appears that research at UC Davis has concluded that wood cut boards are no worse than plastic at preventing disease.  Not through the mechanism I mentioned though.  They seem to think capillary action draws bacteria into the wood where it is effectively trapped and dies.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:59:43 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
I scrub with hot water and a stiff brush to remove residue.  Then I spritz down with white vinegar, then wipe down. Sometimes I will do the same with StarSan.  StarSan is effective enough at surface sanitizing. 

Also, I don't know about you, but I keep my chopping block waxed with butcher block wax, which should really cut down on the trace seeping into the wood, I would think.

A good wooden board also doesn't get the gashes in it you get in plastics get.  I use mine constantly and it has tiny scratches in the surface that you can barely see...which disappear when I give a hard scrubbing and waxing every couple of months.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »
Also, I don't know about you, but I keep my chopping block waxed with butcher block wax, which should really cut down on the trace seeping into the wood, I would think.
According the the research at UC Davis, that may be counter productive.   See below.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 04:38:10 PM »
I'm another one for pen and paper. I'm writing my novel longhand in notebooks, then transcribing it into electronic format, which I store in the cloud...

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 08:12:55 PM »
I used to swing a pair of machine guns that were designed in 1918. They're still in service today. (Not that pair...)

Offline DoubleScotchWhiskey

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »
Answering machine over voicemail. Especially now as it could easily be incorporated into a smart phone

How are they different?

personate-rain