Author Topic: The Luddite Thread - Old tech you prefer over new tech?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
Re: The Luddite Thread - Old tech you prefer over new tech?
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2017, 09:36:09 AM »
The best coffee comes from a plastic cappuccino machine at the gas station by the plant where I work.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
The best coffee (obviously just my opinion) comes out of those hexagonal Italian stove-top espresso makers. The water goes in the bottom, the ground coffee in the middle, and when the water is boiled over the stove, it is forced up through the ground coffee and into the top section.
Do you mean a percolator?

It is kind of a percolator in reverse, since the water flows through the ground coffee from bottom to top. But whereas a percolator allows the water to soak the ground coffee and fall by gravity, and recirculates the water through the ground coffee continuously until it's ready, the hexagonal Italian espresso maker uses the pressure of the boiling water in the bottom to force it through the ground coffee, and it passes through only once. It takes a few minutes for the water to come to a boil, but once it does, the process is quick, so the ground coffee has the water going through it only briefly.

In this it is similar to a standard espresso machine: The water is forced through under pressure, very quickly, and there is no recirculation as there is with a percolator.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online lobsterbash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
DRM is a tech I never needed. No product or service is improved by implementing it.

For some things, it makes sense, like computer / video games. The ability to download games to any computing device, that probably needs an internet connection anyway, is fine. But for other things like books, video, music... just no.

I think it's fine for software in general if executed reasonably, but it seems that so many companies are eager to treat their customers like untrustworthy thieves.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2017, 10:31:37 AM »
I don't drive, but I have a serious, related dilemma about cars.

I hate new cars, they all look the same, they can only be repaired by licensed shops and are generally meh.

On the other hand, older cars are great in almost every way.

But then I think about crumple zones and modern, eco-friendly engines.

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2017, 01:33:29 PM »
You could take an old car and convert it to electric. Doesn't help with crumple zones, though. That's tougher to engineer on your own...
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »
You could take an old car and convert it to electric. Doesn't help with crumple zones, though. That's tougher to engineer on your own...

I went from a 1986 to a 2001 and one of my comments has been that the car is less likely to survive a fender bender but more likely to keep me alive.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
Why can't they just make modern consumer cars that have character, and are not distinguished by other cars by slight variation of grille and headlamp shape?

Online lobsterbash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2017, 02:40:42 PM »
Why can't they just make modern consumer cars that have character, and are not distinguished by other cars by slight variation of grille and headlamp shape?

Playing it safe.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »

Playing it safe.

And yet people don't understand why I despise capitalism :D

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2017, 03:35:51 PM »

Playing it safe.

And yet people don't understand why I despise capitalism :D

I won't pretend to understand why you despise capitalism. I have so many reasons for excoriating capitalism that I would be foolish to think I could guess which of our reasons coincide. (OTOH, I do enjoy having enough money to be able to do fun stuff like hiking in Canada and Sedona, and kayaking in Maui, etc.)

On the subject of cars, I do think that mine has character. Partly for its styling, and partly for being able to do zero to 60 mph in about 4 seconds all while using about half as much energy as a Toyota Prius.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »
The best coffee comes to my bed and waits patiently for me to wake up.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2017, 11:01:10 AM »
The best coffee comes to my bed and waits patiently for me to wake up.

My mom and her third husband put a percolator on a timer. The alarm clock went off just minutes after the coffee was ready. On the bedside table. No need to get out of bed to drink the first pot of coffee. I find it liberating not to be so addicted to the stuff that you need it before you can even get out of bed.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2017, 01:44:12 PM »
they can only be repaired by licensed shops

This isn’t really true, for the most part.  Most parts on cars are still user-replaceable, and there are legal protections guaranteeing that manufacturers cannot void warranties for third-party and diy repairs.  There are some diagnostic tools that third-party mechanics don’t get access to, but that really just leaves them with a little more old-fashioned sleuthing.

Yeah, if there’s a failure in one of the electronic subsystems you may be better off seeing a dealer; but those systems are solid-state and so reliable that most people never need them repaired.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »
Pen and paper. (Is so tech  ;) ) for shopping lists, reminder notes and "To Do" lists over putting everything on a computerised device.

Decades ago, I would write first drafts in paper and ink, and then do the rewrites on a typewriter. Now, all drafts are done on the computer. There are some advantages to paper and ink for the initial draft. Mainly, it slows you down and allows you to think more carefully about what you are writing. Ideas seem to flow better, at least for me. It's also more convenient.

A few years ago, I thought I'd try doing a new project on paper and ink, as in the old days. It was difficult than I'd remembered, and for the first few pages my hand would cramp up. Now, it's back to the keyboard. I guess I have gotten lazy over the years.

I really cannot think of anything that was better in the past over current technology.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2017, 02:15:09 PM »
they can only be repaired by licensed shops

This isn’t really true, for the most part.  Most parts on cars are still user-replaceable, and there are legal protections guaranteeing that manufacturers cannot void warranties for third-party and diy repairs.  There are some diagnostic tools that third-party mechanics don’t get access to, but that really just leaves them with a little more old-fashioned sleuthing.

Yeah, if there’s a failure in one of the electronic subsystems you may be better off seeing a dealer; but those systems are solid-state and so reliable that most people never need them repaired.

With subsystems, you can often pull the whole circuit and replace it with one from a junkyard.
Sometimes you can effectively replace every circuit in that manner instead of paying a shot to troubleshoot it.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain