Author Topic: The Luddite Thread - Old tech you prefer over new tech?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
Re: The Luddite Thread - Old tech you prefer over new tech?
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
I still can't figure out a reason for the internet of things.  Every story I read or listen to regarding it, just makes it seem like a liability with not benefits.  Why do toasters, refrigerators, et al need to be on the interet?  Some vague, you can use your phone to turn the coffee maker on or monitor your fridge.  What's wrong with timers and why do I need to monitor my fridge?  Shakes cane.
Yeah, I don't get the desire to make all the things hackable and exploitable. It's nice to be able to watch Netflix directly on my new TV, but the first thing I did after turning it on was delete all the other "apps" televisions now come with.

Edit, I would kill for a smart phone with an actual keyboard.  Actually, I wouldn't I think they still sell cases for many phones that include a keybard, i just kind of want a keyboard built in.
I'm still chugging along with my Droid 4 from 2012 because of the keyboard (though the battery life and overall speed is now such that I use my wife's old iPhone for everything but making calls and sending texts, so at some point I should just switch over the SIM card and use that as my main phone, hard as it will be to lose the keyboard).
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2017, 10:02:37 AM »
Actually, the first thing I did was refuse to accept the TOS for voice recognition and the other major security risks it has by default. *Then* I deleted the other apps.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
Have I ever mentioned that the self check aisle in some stores in Denver have a check scanner?  Can you imagine how long it would take some who still uses a check to figure out a self check out machine?

In the US, the chips add a bit of security by making it harder to copy the data but we still don't use pins, which sorta defeats about half the security benefits.

Side, not I heard a podcast a few years ago that claimed the reason Europe was so advanced in credit card security is because they had a lot more fraud. 

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »
In the US, the chips add a bit of security by making it harder to copy the data but we still don't use pins, which sorta defeats about half the security benefits.

I kind of disagree.  The real issue in the US has been data breeches at retailers (e.g., Target) which have revealed people's CC numbers, etc., and magnetic strip forgery.  With chip and sign, retailers never see your credit card number, only a unique transaction code that cannot be reused. And as magnetic strips are phased out it will no longer be possible to make transactions with cloned cards.  The only thing that remains will be in-person credit card fraud where someone who has stolen your card uses it to buy goods and forges your signature.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »
Good point, so the real security problem is the magnetic strip which we still have but is slowly going away. 

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
I have not yet seen a gas station where the pumps use the chip system and gas station pumps are a place most likely to get your card cloned.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
I still can't figure out a reason for the internet of things.  Every story I read or listen to regarding it, just makes it seem like a liability with not benefits.  Why do toasters, refrigerators, et al need to be on the interet?  Some vague, you can use your phone to turn the coffee maker on or monitor your fridge.  What's wrong with timers and why do I need to monitor my fridge?  Shakes cane.

There was an article about connected coffee makers. So, if your internet connection is down, your machine won't make your coffee. The main reason for the machines being connected to the internet seemed to be so they could verify that you had bought the coffee from the manufacturer of the machine. I get it that coffee pods are convenient. But anybody who cares about the quality of their coffee will want it freshly ground. And if you can stand to drink pod coffee, it's just not that inconvenient to make coffee in a regular coffee maker. And who pays extra for a feature whose only purpose is to prevent you from buying your coffee from someone other than the maker of the machine?

My computer, my tablets, and my phone are connected. Nothing else in my house is. I could see having a connected sound system if you like listening to streaming music. All the rest seems like gadgetry for the sake of gadgetry.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »
DRM is a tech I never needed. No product or service is improved by implementing it.

Online Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »
Speaking of coffee....French Press.  Does that make me a luddite, or a hipster?
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »

There was an article about connected coffee makers. So, if your internet connection is down, your machine won't make your coffee. The main reason for the machines being connected to the internet seemed to be so they could verify that you had bought the coffee from the manufacturer of the machine. I get it that coffee pods are convenient. But anybody who cares about the quality of their coffee will want it freshly ground. And if you can stand to drink pod coffee, it's just not that inconvenient to make coffee in a regular coffee maker. And who pays extra for a feature whose only purpose is to prevent you from buying your coffee from someone other than the maker of the machine?

My computer, my tablets, and my phone are connected. Nothing else in my house is. I could see having a connected sound system if you like listening to streaming music. All the rest seems like gadgetry for the sake of gadgetry.
I use reuseable cups to brew my coffee in a Keurig. Lots cheaper per cup.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »
The best coffee (obviously just my opinion) comes out of those hexagonal Italian stove-top espresso makers. The water goes in the bottom, the ground coffee in the middle, and when the water is boiled over the stove, it is forced up through the ground coffee and into the top section.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2017, 10:32:32 PM »
Funny - for me the best coffee comes in a jar that has "Moccona" on the side.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2017, 08:14:45 AM »
The best coffee (obviously just my opinion) comes out of those hexagonal Italian stove-top espresso makers. The water goes in the bottom, the ground coffee in the middle, and when the water is boiled over the stove, it is forced up through the ground coffee and into the top section.
Do you mean a percolator?

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2017, 08:21:48 AM »

I disagree. The best coffee comes from a little copper džezva, in which the coffee grounds are slightly toasted, then brought to a simmer two or three times to develop a glorious foam.

Offline Jaloopa

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »
The best coffee comes from heating water with a parafin lamp and letting the vacuum as it cools pull it through the coffee grounds

personate-rain
personate-rain