Author Topic: If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively op  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
Having someone corroborate your story in this case is not proof. It is a data point but not proof. We have a lot of data points on telepathy made in controlled environments involving experiments that try to limit as much as possible confounding variables and and overwhelmingly the null still stands on telepathy. It is not close-mined to say to you, "at this point I cannot believe that you have actually done telepathy. I am open to the possibility of telepathy but you need to provide evidence that can overcome the overwhelming evidence that has already been gathered."

Take for instance someone that said they saw Bigfoot. Saying, "my friend saw him too" doesn't prove that you saw Bigfoot. They may have saw something, they may have even believed it was Bigfoot but it could have been a bear on its hind legs or something else. Better data is needed before one can call it proof. 
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Gnostic Christian Bishop

• Not Enough Spare Time
Having someone corroborate your story in this case is not proof. It is a data point but not proof. We have a lot of data points on telepathy made in controlled environments involving experiments that try to limit as much as possible confounding variables and and overwhelmingly the null still stands on telepathy. It is not close-mined to say to you, "at this point I cannot believe that you have actually done telepathy. I am open to the possibility of telepathy but you need to provide evidence that can overcome the overwhelming evidence that has already been gathered."

Take for instance someone that said they saw Bigfoot. Saying, "my friend saw him too" doesn't prove that you saw Bigfoot. They may have saw something, they may have even believed it was Bigfoot but it could have been a bear on its hind legs or something else. Better data is needed before one can call it proof.

I hear you, but consider that the testimony of two is all a court need to convict for murder.

If I did not have confirmation from a live person/witness/victim, I myself would have chalked it off as a mind burp or something. With a witness/victim, I have to judge that the experience was real. To do otherwise would be stupid and dishonest.

Regards
DL

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
... consider that the testimony of two is all a court need to convict for murder.

Not if there is overwhelming physical evidence to the contrary. "My friend and I both saw it" is the epitome of pseudoscience.

Rules of evidence in courts are irrelevant to science.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. There is so much evidence against the existence of telepathy, that the testimony of two people saying "It happened to us" is so weak as to be meaningless. Bring your telepathic twins to the James Randi foundation, and collect your million dollars. Otherwise, you're just blowing hot air. And then to say "It's because of sub-atomic particles" is just laughable. Shades of Deepak Chopra reciting "It's because of quantum mechanics" for every nonsensical proposition he decides to put forward.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

• Not Enough Spare Time
... consider that the testimony of two is all a court need to convict for murder.

Not if there is overwhelming physical evidence to the contrary. "My friend and I both saw it" is the epitome of pseudoscience.

Rules of evidence in courts are irrelevant to science.

There is so much evidence against the existence of telepathy,

That is news to me.

Care to share it so as I might comment on it?

Regards
DL

Offline John Albert

• Frequent Poster
Care to share it so as I might comment on it?

"so as I might comment on it"

:laugh:

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop link=topic=49329.msg9530093#msg9530093 date=

On the authority of the God I know and follow based on logic and reason. That God to a Gnostic.

--------------

It should be obvious to all that there is a God, but only if you define the term properly.

God has been described in many ways. Regardless of the descriptions we have heard, we end in thinking of the term God as the epitome of all attributes. We all have some clue as to what attributes a God would or should have. Those ideal attributes are whatever our minds have decided those attributes should be. In that sense, we all invent our God.

God then, and his ideal attributes, will only exist in your own mind, even if you are not a believer.

That is the proper definition of the term God, and we all have an idea of what and who God is, in terms of the best rules and laws to live life by that we individually have.

If you understand this, you should be able to name God, even if you are not what is traditionally thought of in the term believer, if we ignore any supernatural attributes.

Having said the above, can you tell me who your God is?

Regards
DL

My mind has decided that God is a potato. She is all potatoes. She is nothing more, and nothing less. This is the ideal attribute that exists in my mind.

• Not Enough Spare Time

My mind has decided that God is a potato. She is all potatoes. She is nothing more, and nothing less. This is the ideal attribute that exists in my mind.

Thanks for indicating the size of your mind.

Regards
DL

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
Does a mind have a size?
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
Does a mind have a size?
It depends on the size of the potato.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
"It seems to me that viewing something as immoral and evil is an ideology."

Thank you.

"I would rather speak to the theme of the O.P. and not the definition of words."

But you need to use words. If we don't have a common understanding of the meaning of those words, there is no discussion to be had. That is why I brought this up, earlier: "and examine your terminology." If morality is relative, then Immorality is relative. Your morality is shaped by your ideology, as is mine.

Offline seamas

• Well Established

I hear you, but consider that the testimony of two is all a court need to convict for murder.

Sometimes it can help convince a jury, but every first year law student is given NUMEROUS real life examples of how eye-witness testimony is one of the weakest pieces of evidence a lawyer can have. Easy to dismantle by any competent lawyer.

Offline Boßel

• Frequent Poster

Thanks for indicating the size of your mind.

Regards
DL

My mind has decided that my mind is larger, and more intelligent than any other mind in existence. This is the ideal attribute that exists in my mind. Wow, this really works!

Regards
From the person who obviously posted this

Offline Boßel

• Frequent Poster
Does a mind have a size?

The potato is big league big. Trust me.

Offline Boßel

• Frequent Poster

Sometimes it can help convince a jury, but every first year law student is given NUMEROUS real life examples of how eye-witness testimony is one of the weakest pieces of evidence a lawyer can have. Easy to dismantle by any competent lawyer.

I would recommend anyone who is interested in the fallibility of eyewitness testimony to look up the research done by Elizabeth Loftus.

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674287778

Loftus also shows that eyewitness memory is chronically inaccurate in surprising ways. An ingenious series of experiments reveals that memory can be radically altered by the way an eyewitness is questioned after the fact. New memories can be implanted and old ones unconsciously altered under interrogation.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Does a mind have a size?

I prefer potatoes in the 1/3 kg range. Too much larger (over half a kg or so) and they're more likely to have blackened hollow spaces inside. But too small and they're more work to clean. When I visited my friends in South Dakota this summer, they had tiny potatoes from their garden that were more work to clean than they were worth.

I'm going to say that a mind should weigh in at around 1/3 kg. To determine the weight of a mind you have to first count the number of thoughts contained in it, and then ascertain the average weight of each of the thoughts. Note that some thoughts are deeper and therefore heavier than others.

God is a potato weighing exactly 1/3 kg. Unfortunately, due to Heisenberg, we can never know the exact weight of a potato while at the same time establishing with 100% certainty that it is a potato. God, therefore, is unknowable and anyone claiming to have knowledge of God is deluded. But the converse is not true. We can never know just which potato is God, but for many potatoes, we can weigh them with sufficient accuracy to know with absolute certainty that they are not God. None of the potatoes that came from my friends' garden this year of 2017 was God.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain