Author Topic: Used Stuff?  (Read 381 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Used Stuff?
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
This is not about Luddite issues.

I have however an older netbook that uses an Atom processor that Intel decided never to develop Windows 10 drivers for the APU. This is not all Atom processors just older ones. Using the generic Windows 10 drivers, it is slow as shit. Even before, hen it was running 7, it could do not much better than 480p video.

I have been working out of my car a lot and wanted something peppier. Find my laptop is a little big to work on in the car. As a result, I listed what I wanted. Basically I wanted a netbook with a reasonable sized hard drive, able to handle 1080 p video, and running windows 10. I specifically stated that used is acceptable.

On another forum I asked about suggestions. Some told me that netbooks are dead which may be true in the long run but the best suggestion seemed to be at the time some Chinese netbooks with 32 to 64 GB SSDs. Problem is that Windows 10 by itself take much of that space. It was in the $130 range.

Looking around at computer stores asking about what they were trying to get rid of and pawn shops however just to see what they have.  A pawnshop had a netbook / laptop of around the right size but as is common, they wanted too much. It was an Asus X200M. Looked up the laptop only and had the performance I want and had a hard drive vs a tiny SSD. Could handle 1080 p video. It had a cousin as well, the X200CA, still able to handle 1080p video, an found one with a dead battery on eBay for $60. Took a chance and also order a used battery.

It seems to do exactly what I wanted. While it ran Windows 8, you can still upgrade Window 7 or 8 to 10 legally through various methods.

Just makes me wonder if there is something against people thinking used though? 

An additional question, what used stuff (especially recent purchases) are you especially proud of?
Also are there any things you specifically do when you buy something used?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:47:57 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Is the something against suggesting used stuff?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »
I don't know. Maybe because of the speed at which computer hardware becomes obsolete? Though if the price is right you could buy another, slightly-less-old used one every year. Maybe it's our throw-away culture: People just don't expect used stuff to be any good. I mostly buy new stuff because I'm always concerned that used stuff is on the market because there's something wrong with it (not necessarily true, but a concern of mine). Then I (mostly) use it until it dies or becomes unusable, or new features are really must-haves, as when I traded in my perfectly-good fifteen-year-old Honda Civic because I wanted a car with anti-lock brakes, which the 1989 Civic didn't have.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:40:22 AM »
There are certain products I don't recommend buying used but one can get a feel for what you can feel confident about. I have a number of used items that I have been using for a number of years even after there are better products available.

In this case, the X200CA has the performance, actually slightly better, than the Chinese stuff that was recommended to me.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
I agree that used stuff can be the best choice when one is on a limited budget, depending on the item. It does require a knowledge of the item and a willingness to deal with problems in the absence of a warranty. In fact, I bought my NordicTrack machine used on eBay because at that time the original company no longer existed and the name was being used on exercise machines made in Asia. A decade later it still works fine, though for reasons of personal preference it is not my favorite exercise machine.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »
Isn't using used almost the ultimate recycling?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »
Isn't using used almost the ultimate recycling?

No. It's much better than recycling. Recycling is better than tossing in the dump. Continuing to use something is even better than just grinding it up to make other stuff.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
Reduce, reuse, recycle, or just Keep Using. I haunt secondhand stores and my favorite place to shop for hard goods is Goodwill. I overlooked picking up a pair of JBL Control One speakers for $10 each; I decided to go home and check back later. Also, pawn shops: I used to teach computer-based classes, at an Adult "lifelong learning center" and one night a couple came in with a little XP-based system (when it still was a current OS) to take on their road trip = $40 at a pawn shop.

I do a lot of repair/rebuild, as well; or, figure out how to get it done. As I state it to my husband, "You know I will keep these things alive long past the point that the parts are no longer available, right?" Just last year I found a guy in Iowa that likely is retired from the Amana factory, to repair my Amana Radarange Touchmatic II from 1976. It needed triodes; it had lost the ability to cook utilizing its 10 levels. It was either full on or off. Shipping the brain unit + repair was under $100. You can cook a turkey in that thing; they were meant to replace your regular Oven. It has no turntable; the technology was so far ahead of its time, no one else is doing it like that.

"even after there are better Newer products available" <== Fixed it for you.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
No except for certain kinds of things; underwear, socks, mattresses......

I'd be somewhat worried about a used computer due to potential viruses but you can format the hard drive or run one of those harddrive eraser programs if you're really worried and do a clean windows install. 

With tech, there's also the worry that you'll get a lemon and by the time you figure that out, there's not much to get your money back from some guy on ebay.  Not sure how valid that but most folks just want a computer to work out of the box with no mess or fuss.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
At least with eBay, you get some kind of guarantee. The first seller that I bought a used battery actually sent me the wrong battery. Gave me my money back after going around and did not request that I send it back.

One of the first things I did was roll the Netbook back to factory and then I upgraded to windows 10. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »
... pawn shop...

I won't go to a pawn shop because those places are predatory to the extreme. They offer people who are desperate for money a tiny fraction of what an item is worth and charge outrageously usurious interest rates.

But thrift stores are great for people who must economize. It's been a while since I've had to buy stuff from them, but I donate all my old-still-usable stuff to them.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
I have found that pawn shops often want new prices for old stuff.
The local pawn shop that allows me to trade two dvds for a single dvd or four for a blu ray.
I ended up with doubles with a number of dvds or I replaced them with blu rays already.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »
Do you have reason to believe that there is “something against suggesting used stuff”?  I read your posts and don’t see you mentioning anything.  It seems that the thread is more of a “hey, I like used stuff” thread (which is fine, of course; I like good used stuff myself.  It just doesn’t seem to fit the title.)
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 12:46:23 AM »
Do you have reason to believe that there is “something against suggesting used stuff”?  I read your posts and don’t see you mentioning anything.  It seems that the thread is more of a “hey, I like used stuff” thread (which is fine, of course; I like good used stuff myself.  It just doesn’t seem to fit the title.)

It is a feeling where I think those that I discussed with, I think their mind might have slid off the idea of used computers. I could be wrong, hence the question.

However, since the thread seems to be drifting to just discussing used stuff, I changed the title?

As such, what are items you have gotten used (especially recently) that you are proud of?
Also are there any things you specifically do when you buy something used?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:48:31 AM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Used Stuff?
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »
I don't think I could be proud of owning anything. I'm quite pleased with the used NordicTrack. It works well and showed no obvious signs of wear when I got it or now. I needed some weight for freediving in Maui, so I went to a thrift shop first, but they were all out of dive weights, so I ended up having to buy my weight new. I did try.

But, no, not proud of any possessions.

For me the problem with a used computer is that it won't be compatible with my other devices. I bought my present one when my old one would no longer run the software I wanted to run. And though I bought my iPod when I lost the old one (I know where it is but cannot get at it) I was very happy with its ability to fetch podcasts directly from the internet without having to be plugged into the computer and iTunes. The things computers can do expand and increase, and there comes a time when I want those capabilities. I prefer to buy a new one and then use it for as long as it works and serves the purposes, rather than buying used and having to upgrade more often, even though picking up stuff someone else was going to throw away is gentler on the environment than always buying new. My previous computer lasted about a decade, as did the flip phone I had before I got my smartphone. I expect my phone to last 6 or 8 years.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Used Stuff?
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
I purchased a 40 year old Buck 500 Duke pocket knife that I consider superior to the current production model Dukes.  It's a beautiful knife.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain
personate-rain