Author Topic: Podcast App recommendations  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Podcast App recommendations
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »
I asked this in the "What podcasts are we listening to" thread but didn't get much response (besides wastrel.. thanks wastrel!), so hoping if this is its own thread I'll have more luck.

After 10 years of being married to Apple and iOS I'm cutting the lightning cord and my new Pixel phone arrives next week.

My biggest concern about making the shift is how my podcast listening experience will change. If I broke down how much I interact with my phone listening to podcasts would probably make up about 40% of those interactions. It's a pretty big deal.

So what apps do you guys use? My main concerns:
  • Variable speed (I generally listen to 2x but only because that's the upper limit on the native iOS app)
  • Easily managed playlists
  • Large library of podcasts (I don't listen to anything obscure.. most are produced by podcasting companies or news sites)
  • Automatically downloads episodes as they are released

I'm probably going to have to pay for an app, so I was hoping to get some input from someone who has experienced the app before paying for something.

So far based on what I've seen I think I'm leaning towards Pocket Casts, but I'm basing on brief reviews.

Please, help! I'm running out of time!

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Podcast App recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 05:15:56 PM »
I've been using Pocket Casts and it works great for me.
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline Jaloopa

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:57:31 AM »
I use DoggCatcher. It has all the features on your list, although I don't use playlists so don't know how well that works.

Variable speed in 0.1x increments from 1.0 to 2.0
Tap the more options menu on any episode and there's an "add to user playlist" option
If a podcast doesn't come up in the search or browsing, you can paste an RSS URL in directly
Mine is set to download new episodes for all feeds at 6am so I have the latest for my commute

There are a lot of options. You can set global and podcast specific options for things like how many recent episodes to show in the feed, how many old episodes to keep etc.

Offline janine.b

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:40:17 AM »
I started to use Pocket Casts when I switched to Android and liked it. You can set it to do all what you ask I think. I have a subscription to about 250 podcasts, so you can certainly have a lot! I used to download ahead, but now I have so many and a great access to wifi/4g where I'm living that I download as I need them. I don't use playlists, so can't say how good it is, but you can do it.

I went back to Apple last year and when I tried to use the Apple Podcast app I hated it and downloaded Pocket Casts again.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
I started to use Pocket Casts when I switched to Android and liked it. You can set it to do all what you ask I think. I have a subscription to about 250 podcasts, so you can certainly have a lot! I used to download ahead, but now I have so many and a great access to wifi/4g where I'm living that I download as I need them. I don't use playlists, so can't say how good it is, but you can do it.

Hell, how do you keep up with 250 podcasts? I am subscribed to about 22 (some of them probably defunct) and I always have a horrible backlog.
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline janine.b

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
Oh, I don't! I have some regulars, some (lots) I want to listen to eventually and some I dip in and out of if the story/subject sounds interesting. There's also quite a lot I used to listen to but I've become bored of or disillusioned with recently.

I work from home though, so have a lot of time on my own and like to hear voices.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
I use Podcast Republic.  It does what you need and is free to boot.
Sometimes the playlists seem to have a mind of their own but otherwise it is reliable, functional and adaptable. 
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »
I just started using podcast addict (about a month ago) and it seems to work ok. I think it has all the featuresyou asked about and its free
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 05:46:47 PM »
I've been using iCatcher on iOS for a long time, but its interface is dated and overly complicated. What apps are others using on iOS?  I haven't tried the native podcast app since the initial skeuomorphic monstrosity; has it improved?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:12 PM »
Thanks guys! Great suggestions! I think I'll start with Pocket Casts. I don't mind spending a few bucks. Glad to have backups though.

I've been using iCatcher on iOS for a long time, but its interface is dated and overly complicated. What apps are others using on iOS?  I haven't tried the native podcast app since the initial skeuomorphic monstrosity; has it improved?

I think the podcast app was great during the last few iOSs, but I've had some issues with the latest update.

A lot of the apps mentioned above (including pocket casts) are available on iOS.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 10:56:45 PM »
Some issues?  Omg the latest update has been a complete disaster. It’s horrible.
#non-belief denialist

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 10:57:35 PM »
The latest one (iOS 11) is completely horrible. 
#non-belief denialist

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 10:58:31 PM »
The latest one (iOS 11) is completely horrible.

In what ways?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »
It’s completely unintuitive.

They’ve made it very difficult to get to a list of unplayed episodes

Once you fine it, there is zero way to mark an episode as played.

Sometimes it randomly unsubscribes you from podcasts.

Sometimes it decides that you suddenly need an episode from 3 years ago to pop up in your feed

It’s buggy and acts as if someone who designed a music player had written it exactly the same way you would write a music app.
#non-belief denialist

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 11:09:58 PM »
I haven't had any of those bug issues (although I don't know if I've been unsubscribed from a podcast)

My issues are that it takes at least two clicks to listen to a podcast (three if you have multiple episodes in one podcast stream), it takes at least 2 clicks to download an episode once you've found it, it doesn't automatically play through your podcasts, you have to add to your queue. Once you've added to your queue you still can't look at it to see if you've made a mistake or to see if you forgot what you added.

There are a few elements that are prettier, but at the cost of usability.

personate-rain
personate-rain