Author Topic: talk radio  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
talk radio
« on: October 25, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »
Back when I was a night security guard I used to listen to a lot of AM radio.  I recently added a bunch of shows I used to listen to, to my podcast list.  Most are unlistenable.  I used to think Laura Ingram was more reasonable conservative, she's really gone all in with Trump.  I can't tell how much is my having moved left or them moving right. 

Shows I can still listen too.
Armstrong and Getty
Adam Carolla(used to be love line but he's close enough)

that's pretty much it.   

Even back in the day Dr Laura was just infuriating. 

Offline kaizen

• Banned
  • Brand New
Re: talk radio
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 03:05:09 AM »
If any page has quality posts like yours then I will search for information very quickly. Please donate again

Edit: Removed spam link
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:53:01 AM by wastrel »

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
I listen to a bit of talk radio, and while I find them frustrating to listen to, I am often impressed with their rhetorical skills.  They are masters of logical fallacies, in particular the argument from authority and the argument from popularity (e.g.  Of course global warming is not real, look how cold it is!  Or saying things "everyone knows", or making statements that must be true because of their special inside knowledge or insight).  A common tactic is to just state conventional wisdom or popular opinion (regardless of how factual it is).  This does two things.  One, it makes the typical audience feel smart and in the know, and it makes people who go against the grain sound completely irrational.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »
Many years ago, in another city, I belonged to our local peace group. We decided to stage a letter-writing campaign to ask a local radio station to stop carrying Rush Limbaugh. I figured if I was going to write a letter and ask others to do the same, I should listen to the show. I listened to one whole show (or maybe I just listened to one whole hour; this was a long time ago). It was infuriating and exasperating and disgusting and left me feeling dirty. I have not listened to talk radio since. I regard it as a disease.

The local station did not take Limbaugh off the air, but someone contacted him and told him of our letter-writing campaign and he lambasted us by name on his show. We got donations after that from all over the country. Apparently people who hate Limbaugh listen to his show. It was our best month ever for donations.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:06:33 AM »
Funny, this thread only got noticed because a spammer bumped it.

@Super, its funny how they use arguments from authority to support their arguments in the same sentence they argue against authority.

"Scientists are wrong because everyone knows blah blah blah" or "...because this one scientists disagrees!"

@daniel,

Hate listening is a thing apparently.   I thought Limbaugh was entertaining when I first heard him on his local show in Sacramento but either I changed or he did in the last 25 years.

Online DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:53:15 AM »
I will still listen to a fair amount of sports talk radio when I'm in the car. 

In the past I would also listen to a lot of Coast-to-Coast AM.  Especially during the call-ins.  I would get a laugh out of some of the stuff people would call in about.

News talk radio, unless it's just pure new reporting, I find aggravating. So it's a no for me.
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
I really liked listening to the local AM station talk radio - the hosts were local, the callers were local, subjects were local or they were local angles on national stories... that's all gone now.

Other than in my car, which I hardly ever use, I don't even have an AM radio.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 02:37:22 PM »
It occurs to me that Car Talk is talk radio, and I do enjoy it. The present shows are all rebroadcasts, but apparently from a period when I was not listening, possibly when I was overseas. But it's a very different sort of talk radio from what usually comes to my mind when someone says "talk radio."

Stuart Robbins plays a lot of clips from Coast-to-Coast on his Exposing PseudoAstronomy podcast. I love the podcast, but find the clips very annoying (though necessary in context).
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 03:01:01 PM »
I used to love Coast to Coast but I was night security guard at the time so, what else was I gonna do?  Its why I don't trust Michio Kaku or Seth Shostak.  I first heard them on CtoC. 

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »
When I was younger, I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh when I was bored after Dr. Dean Edell’s show (in many ways my introduction to scepticism).  Early on (late 80’s or early 90’s), I found him entertaining, especially when a liberal voice would get through and he’d play with them.  It seemed to me that as time went on he began to take himself and his adoring fans too seriously and I no longer found him funny.  I did sometimes stay on after his show to listen to Alan Colmes, who’s show was enlightening and whom I found myself listening to more and more.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »
Anybody remember Phil Hendrie? That guy used to crack me up.

His whole show was a Kaufmanesque troll on the listeners who were unfamiliar with his shtick.

He did voice impressions of a host of crazy characters who were always very egotistical in some very specific way, and he would stage interviews by playing both sides of the discussion. His act would usually present the impression of a reasonable, but somewhat bumbling and frustrated radio host who was in over his head with an obnoxious guest running away with the show.

In addition to the performing talent of creating a realistic impression of a two-sided conversation, it also required no small amount of technical skill to switch back and forth in real-time between a presence track and telephone EQ effect to make it sound as if the "guest" was really on a live phone line. Sometimes Hendrie would even insert sound effects into the background on the "guest's" side that would add to the realism of the show. The overall listening experience was bizarre and magical.

But the best part was when Hendrie would "go to the phones" and the irate listeners would call in, thinking the interview was real. The callers would invariably take the side of Phil Hendrie (as the interviewer). They'd scold the "guest" (also played by Hendrie himself), and then Hendrie the interviewer would chime in to back up the caller, saying things like, "Yeah, the caller makes a very good point. What about that?" Then Hendrie as the guest would reply with some insulting or dismissive retort. Some of the callers would actually get angry while trying to talk reason to these fictional characters.

Phil Hendrie has a website with archives of the show, but it's behind a paywall. I suppose a guy's gotta eat. 

There are some videos on YouTube of him performing his show.

I've read that in the past few years he's adapted his show to appeal to standard conservative talk show audiences, which is rather disappointing. he used to be hilarious back in the 1990s.

Here's one from 2000 that gives a pretty good impression of what his show used to be like:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:55:19 AM by John Albert »

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »
I listened to Hendrie a bit, definitely a singular talent and skill as you say but really didn't like the show much.  Like listening to a great musician play music I don't much like.  It took me maybe 30 min to figure out what he was doing, though I thought he had a cast rather than doing the voices himself.  Still blows my mind that listeners would call up and argue with characters played by Hendrie without realizing it was all a joke.

Another thing I never got, Dr. Laura, folks would call up with questions like, "I'm dating a married man what should I do?" or "I'm shacked up with this guy and he won't marry me, what should I do?"  She'd berate them and tell them to quit, listen to her show once and you'd know what she was going to say, bizarre. It wasn't always bad advice but she was always a bitch.  Side note, she was on the station of my morning show.  I'd leave school in the afternoon and not really pay attention until I was inexplicably angry then notice it was Dr Laura on the radio, same effect as "I will always love you" by Whitney Houston.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 11:30:18 AM »
Phil Hendrie used to be funny in the mid-late '90s, but went downhill pretty quickly in the aughts. I quit listening when he started playing to the conservative talk radio audiences with overtly political material, sexist jokes, gay jokes, and station ID bumpers mocking foreign language speakers.

Dr. Laura Schlesinger was always irredeemably horrible.

personate-rain