Author Topic: LCD Issue  (Read 512 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
LCD Issue
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »
Our theater has a 10 year old lighting console running Windows XP Embedded (yes, XP; and, no, it can't be upgraded).  It has suddenly developed an issue with the internal LCD touchscreen where the Windows desktop is displayed at reduced size, with parts of it duplicated below and to the right as in the following image taken with my phone:

Note that in the above image the My Computer window is maximized so that it fills the whole screen on a mirrored external monitor.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this issue?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:40:21 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
Re: LCD Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 01:49:19 PM »
Hold down Alt and then Tab, to see if you have two copies of My Computer open. What I see would possibly be explained by two open, Tiled. Have you tried closing everything and rebooting?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
Hold down Alt and then Tab, to see if you have two copies of My Computer open. What I see would possibly be explained by two open, Tiled. Have you tried closing everything and rebooting?

It's not the app, it's the whole screen that's behaving this way (see the taskbar and start menu). And it's doing so even during POST and in BIOS settings, so it can't have anything to do with Windows, windows drivers or any windows application.

I have, of course, rebooted. I've also uninstalled the display in Windows, rebooted, and seen it reinstalled. I've switched the default display in BIOS settings so that it POSTS to an external display (which works as expected). I've unplugged and uninstalled the external display to rule out conflicts. I've opened up the console and checked connections.  I can't remember all of the steps I've gone through just on the chance that they'd do something...
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
have you tried looking up the make and model online?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 03:46:28 PM »

Make and model of the console? Or the LCD panel?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »

Make and model of the console? Or the LCD panel?

I would start with the console and see if it is a setting that go changed. Is there maybe some kind of hardware reset button or key combination that brings it back to factory? Another thought is maybe remove the battery for the motherboard to clear away any settings?

If you think it might be the display, you could see how much a used one might be.

Can you post a picture of what the whole item looks like?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 07:26:39 PM »
Put out a call for a donated monitor? I have several sitting around here right now. (As my eyesight got worse the monitors got bigger. Now it's 2 27" models.)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »
Yeah, perhaps I could have been clearer.  This is what I'm talking about:

It's a Compulite Vector show control console. Manufactured in Israel. New I think it retailed for $13k in 2006.  Although at its core it's a fairly standard PC, it's got a TON of custom internals as well as inputs and outputs.  When opened, it reveals that the entire underside of the control panel is covered with custom PCB's.  It uses 100Mbit Ethernet network for internal communications.  It has tons of custom inputs and outputs.  The LCD panel is, as far as I can tell, a fairly standard 640x480 touch panel, but I've got no idea how standard the connectors on such things are.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 12:08:33 AM »
The LCD panel is, as far as I can tell, a fairly standard 640x480 touch panel, but I've got no idea how standard the connectors on such things are.

Is it infeasible to contact a distributor or repair shop? Maybe they can at least give you a part number, otherwise you would need to disassemble it to get a look at the screen.

With consumer electronics like laptops and mobile devices, the screen connectors seem to be standardized and there are sometimes guides on replacing/upgrading the screen. If you find out what the connectors are, you can probably find a replacement screen.

For example, here is a list of 640x480 screens with embedded touch digitzers:

Code: [Select]
(SMF's BBCode parser apparently can't handle a URL with square brackets in it.)

http://www.panelook.com/resmodlist.php?st=&pl=&resolutions[]=5390&touch_screen=2

Offline junki

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 03:20:46 AM »
Has the display shrunken in proportion? I mean, are pixels still square? It looks like so. Not many hardware faults could cause this.

Standard PC screens contain tiny I2C chips, 24xx typically, that describe the monitor's parameters. Called DDC. If this chip, or the wires connecting it to the PC, had a problem, the PC might select default display parameters. But as it's a custom PC, it might use DIP switches, jumpers or something else instead.

Not helping...
Juha

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
Any chance of bypassing the internal monitor?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 09:48:20 AM »
Noisy, I’m not trying to find a work-around.  I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong and fix the thing.  I’ve already said that an external display works normally.  I’m able to use the console, although the workflow is less efficient.  But that is not really a long-term solution as some of the controls are soft-controls which change depending on the lcd contents.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »
Noisy, I’m not trying to find a work-around.  I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong and fix the thing.  I’ve already said that an external display works normally.  I’m able to use the console, although the workflow is less efficient.  But that is not really a long-term solution as some of the controls are soft-controls which change depending on the lcd contents.

I think you said earlier in the thread that there have been no software updates to the Windows XP environment running on the device.  That would indicate to me that it is a hardware failure of some kind.  Have you tried unseating and reseating all of the connections to the display that you can access?

I seem to vaguely recall having this issue with another LCD display several years back (although it was not touch screen) and it turned out that the cable I was using went bad.  I could recover it by restating the cable connections, but it would fail again after a few days.  I replaced the cable and that fixed it.

#non-belief denialist

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »
"A reality based solution set includes failure, and alternatives to what we want to do." Just sayin'.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 02:21:48 PM »
I think you said earlier in the thread that there have been no software updates to the Windows XP environment running on the device.

More than that, the issue is occurring at POST, so it can't possibly be a Windows issue (right?).

That would indicate to me that it is a hardware failure of some kind.  Have you tried unseating and reseating all of the connections to the display that you can access?

I haven't unseated and reseated; I only made sure they were all seated.  I'll try this.

I seem to vaguely recall having this issue with another LCD display several years back (although it was not touch screen) and it turned out that the cable I was using went bad.  I could recover it by restating the cable connections, but it would fail again after a few days.  I replaced the cable and that fixed it.

That's encouraging.  I'll start there.

personate-rain