Author Topic: LCD Issue  (Read 1144 times)

Offline junki

• Off to a Start
Re: LCD Issue
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 02:24:11 PM »
Forgot to add:

Can you see the details of the monitor in Control Panel?
Were the PC to use some default (wrong) timings, you should also see just generic info, not the manufacturer or part number.
For example, with laptop LCD made by S.E.C., I see
Code: [Select]
EDID for output LVDS1
 Manufacturer: SEC  Model: 3551  Serial#: 0
 Year: 2008  Week: 0
 EDID Version: 1.3

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
"I've switched the default display in BIOS settings so that it POSTS to an external display (which works as expected)."
"More than that, the issue is occurring at POST, so it can't possibly be a Windows issue (right?)"

I run a Windows CE Handheld control unit. One thing that affects them is having a Function launched Twice, if it is trying to Tile. That was my first guess at what you showed.

Another issue is Resolution, as "VGA vs whatever" else your system has available vs the Screen's ability, because again, it might be trying to Tile or Fill the available screen, but now it has a smaller image. Smaller image = Higher resolution setting.

"a fairly standard 640x480 touch panel, "
That would be Standard Display as VGA.
"but I've got no idea how standard the connectors on such things are."

They're pretty standard; the connector(s) will tell you a lot: Com or DIN, MIDI, bayonet or rectangular, and number of pins, etc. There are standards; a Lot of them, but not a free-for-all, or the devices could never talk to each other.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »
Alright, so I fixed it.  I was wrong about the panel resolution: it was 800x600.  Somehow in BIOS settings it had changed to 640x480.  Changing the setting there fixed the problem.  I’m not sure why it suddenly changed; could it be a battery issue?

junki: to answer your question, in device manager and display properties it’s giving me only generic information for Digital Flat Panel (800x600).  I believe that’s all it’s ever shown there, but that’s just based on memory.

MTBox: it was, in fact, tiling; but it was tiling at a more basic hardware level.

Thanks, everyone (except Noisy Rhysling)!
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »
"could it be a battery issue?"

Most definitely.

"it was, in fact, tiling; but it was tiling at a more basic hardware level."

That's what I suspected, from experience with that little CE unit. It often has Desktop Icon issues and it will Boot, from a battery swap, vs Power on, which is really from Standby. When it blows its little brains out (icons disappear or don't launch anything), I pull the battery and drain any reserve, then start fresh, let it run its own .ini routine, and it repopulates its own desktop and icons.

personate-rain
personate-rain