Author Topic: Bobiverse (avert your eyes lest yee see spoilers)  (Read 1722 times)

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
Bobiverse (avert your eyes lest yee see spoilers)
« on: October 29, 2017, 07:22:49 AM »
This is a place to talk about the books with no restraint. Spoil anything you want people have been warned.

That said i will start this thread with the final scene from the final battle of the latest book so you know I'm serious. If you haven't read it go do something about that.

So physics question. Over on reddit i calculated the time dilation of the jokers going .95C and what that meant for the timing of their attack. For note it was about 2.5 to 1. So now I'm wondering if that would be enough to create a deadly enough gama ray wave.

I calculate the redshift at 5.24 but really have no way of wrapping my head around what that means for the radiation of a thermonuclear device.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:31:38 AM by lucek »
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Bobiverse (avert your eyes lest yee see spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 08:31:10 AM »
Are you talking about the Book series by Dennis Taylor  that begins with We Are Legion?  If  so this thread isnlikely in the wrong place.

I have heard good things, but haven't gotten to it yet.  I didn't realize he had a third book.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline moonwrangler

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 02:16:38 AM »
Just finished my 2nd listen-thru of the series. I love it so much. Could have done with a little less of the Deltans, but it was great. I can't say much about the physics problem you mentioned, but I the science in the book seems well researched, so I would assume he had a physicist take a quick look at it.

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:05:16 PM »
Just finished listening to the second book and will be downloading book 3 shortly. Does anyone else think that the "Bobs" could be the "Novellas"?
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »
Just finished listening to the second book and will be downloading book 3 shortly. Does anyone else think that the "Bobs" could be the "Novellas"?

Yes, I thought that.    :D

I really enjoyed the series.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline SkepticalEsquire

• Well Established
  • Cthulhu is Love
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »

Absolutely. I'd love to see a standalone novel about the missing "Bob". Can't recall his name of the top my head.

Edit:  just realized I completely misread this.  Thought you were talking about the author writing stand-alone novellas, not THE Novellas.  Stupid head cold.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:02:19 AM by SkepticalEsquire »
Canada -Land of shitty music and bears.

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:41:05 PM »
I want the next book to be about Bob finding the Starman Tesla and deciding to coopt it for his own use.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:19:08 AM »
So there's Steven Universe and Bobiverse. And Homer Jay Simpson.

Offline slippery_gypsy

• Off to a Start
  • The slipperiest of all Gypsies
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 11:17:14 PM »
I actually didn't enjoy this series much at all. The first book was good as it was an interesting and different concept to me. But the consequent books seemed to drag on and were super confusing to no real end. Some of the "Bob's" were likeable enough but others were just pointless
I am sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion considering this is a SGU
There once was a man named Michael Finnegan

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:24:02 PM »
I actually didn't enjoy this series much at all. The first book was good as it was an interesting and different concept to me. But the consequent books seemed to drag on and were super confusing to no real end. Some of the "Bob's" were likeable enough but others were just pointless

I loved the intricacies of the plot, the moral connundra, the diversification of Bob. Like what you like without judgement from me! But I am sad you didn't get to have the same delight I had.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline slippery_gypsy

• Off to a Start
  • The slipperiest of all Gypsies
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 12:34:48 AM »

I loved the intricacies of the plot, the moral connundra, the diversification of Bob. Like what you like without judgement from me! But I am sad you didn't get to have the same delight I had.

I guess i loved The Hitchhikers Guide so much that it ruined all other space exploration books such as this and The Foundation series
There once was a man named Michael Finnegan