Author Topic: Snow Throwers  (Read 598 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Snow Throwers
« on: November 06, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »
I struggled through last winter clearing my drive and walk with an ancient and only marginally effective (though free) snow thrower, but can't do it again this year.  I'm looking to buy a snow thrower and wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on the subject.

The two models I'm looking at are the Ariens Deluxe 24 and the Toro 826 OXE.  Both have their advantages and drawbacks, it seems, and any decision will involve compromise.

Anyone?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Re: Snow Throwers
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 03:11:11 PM »
I struggled through last winter clearing my drive and walk with an ancient and only marginally effective (though free) snow thrower, but can't do it again this year.  I'm looking to buy a snow thrower and wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on the subject.

The two models I'm looking at are the Ariens Deluxe 24 and the Toro 826 OXE.  Both have their advantages and drawbacks, it seems, and any decision will involve compromise.

Anyone?

I just sold, before moving to Florida, a 26-inch John Deere two-stage snow thrower (726E).  It was pricey, but I never had a problem with it for five winters, and it moved some pretty big drifts. Even after sitting for a year, it started for the buyer on the first pull without having to use the electric start.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
I hired someone this year. How big is your drive and in what region do you live?

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 03:29:30 PM »
I like my snow thrower. It never fails to start, does an excellent job, is ergonomic, and has the advantage of providing me with some cardio and resistance exercise.

Sorry. Not helpful, but I couldn't resist. I threw a lot of snow when I lived in N.D., and some since living in WA, and never burned a drop of gasoline doing so.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
I hired someone this year. How big is your drive and in what region do you live?

I'm in CT, with a drive about 60' x 12', fairly flat but with a upward slope to the road, and a 20' front walk.  We got estimates for having the drive plowed, but at the going rates in this area we'd be looking at several hundred dollars even in a good year; last year would probably have cost us over $500...and I'd still have to shovel the walk.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
We get maybe one snow fall a year that I have to shovel here. Last winter the snow stayed powdery so it was fine. Took me a couple of hours maybe to shovel the driveway. I was stuck at work for two days straight but that was alright as well. Got a a huge paycheck for it.

The problem was the winter before last. It snowed, switched to rain, and then went back to freezing and snow. We had a layer of snow, layer of ice, and then another layer of snow. That was horrible to deal with.

Edit: My driveway is about 300 feet
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:10:27 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
"Toro 826 OXE"

8 = 8hp
26 = 26" path
2-stage means the snow is boosted into the Chute, for delivery far away from where you are currently working. That way, you avoid going over your own moved snow, again and again. You also rotate that, so as you move up-wind, down-wind, or want to blow it Off the side of the drive or into the lawn, not the front walk, you have the Power to send it there.

I have essentially the 30-year old model of this, but mine includes their "Wheelbase Powershift" function that lets me extend the back wheels, putting more pressure on the front and giving more traction on hills; I also can slam that thing into Berms left after the snowplow goes by our driveways (we have two).

Your two models seem fairly comparable. Here is my perspective: We lived in a ski resort area, had a long gravel driveway. Then, we moved to "the city" near different ski resorts, but it is a corner lot, with one wide triple-drive and one long gravel drive, plus all that friggin' sidewalk that falls under "must be cleared by 9am after the snow stops falling" city ordinance. We keep it in a shed, without a ramp; it is a pain to get it up over the lip, so we store it in the garage this time of year, for easy roll out-roll in. There are times when I wish we had a single-stage "power shovel" for the front walk and lower patio, since this thing is a Monster.

But when I have to dig out the entire parking space, the sidewalk, my neighbor's drive when they are gone or got stuck or got plowed in, I realize this is one of my favorite Home Owner Tools. We need to use the blower 2-20 times each Winter. It has varied more in the previous 8 winters than it used to, 30 years ago, when I still ran Sled Dogs as my hobby. That is no longer a reliable hobby.

I vote for the Toro. The only thing that has happened to ours, in all these years is, about 4 years ago a motor mount deck bolt fell out while it was warming up, and I found it and put it back.

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:57:13 PM »

Anyone?

I have the Ariens 24.

It's been a great machine for me.  Easily handled the worst of what last winter to offer.  Easy start every time (is use the pull start, never bothered with the electric start).  I could even go through pile at the end of the driveway left by the plow.  Light and maneuverable.

Only drawback is that the drive is only through 1 wheel.

Happy to answer any other questions.
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
I have an old 5 horse Toro, wish I had the 8 horses. Starts with one pull, with electric start as a back up. Two stage, wouldn't consider the single stage. Would like to know if the 3 stage units are an improvement or much ado.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:04:01 PM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »
MTBox: I'm leaning toward the Ariens, but you're not making it easy for me.

The Ariens and the Toro both have the same engine displacement and comparable hp and torque.  Both have the auto turn transmission.  Both are two stage and have six forward and two reverse stages.  Their augurs and scoops are about the same size.

The main differences seem to be these:

1. The Ariens has larger tires.
2. The Ariens has a larger impeller, but the Toro has an anticlog diverter that reroutes excess snow in front of the augur.
3. The Ariens has two belts driving the augur and impeller, while the Toro has only one.
4. The Toro has a clever joystick control that allows one to adjust the direction and angle of the chute, while the Ariens has a ice-drill crank to adjust direction and a separate lever for tilt.
5. The Toro is lighter and better balanced (at least for unpowered maneuvering on dry concrete), has a number of plastic parts; the Ariens is heavier, all-metal and front-weighted (which may be a plus for actual snow throwing.

I have the Ariens 24.

It's been a great machine for me.  Easily handled the worst of what last winter to offer.  Easy start every time (is use the pull start, never bothered with the electric start).  I could even go through pile at the end of the driveway left by the plow.  Light and maneuverable.

Only drawback is that the drive is only through 1 wheel.

Sounds like you have what's now called the "Classic 24."  A couple of years ago they started putting the AutoTurn transmission in the Deluxe 24, which automatically locks the wheels when going straight and unlocks the inside wheel when you start to turn.  Both the Toro and the Ariens I mentioned have it.

Do you know what the engine displacement is on yours?

My biggest question is about getting through the plow mound; it sounds like you've had no problem with that?

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
Sounds like you have what's now called the "Classic 24."  A couple of years ago they started putting the AutoTurn transmission in the Deluxe 24, which automatically locks the wheels when going straight and unlocks the inside wheel when you start to turn.  Both the Toro and the Ariens I mentioned have it.

My biggest question is about getting through the plow mound; it sounds like you've had no problem with that?

I have the Compact 24.  IIRC, the engine is a 200cc engine (I'll have to check at home for the exact horsepower).  My machine went through plow mounds with no problems.  I live in the country and clear a largish parking area that's about 2000 square feet (I have more of a parking lot than a driveway).
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »

I have the Compact 24.  IIRC, the engine is a 200cc engine (I'll have to check at home for the exact horsepower).  My machine went through plow mounds with no problems.  I live in the country and clear a largish parking area that's about 2000 square feet (I have more of a parking lot than a driveway).

Ah, yes.  I looked at that one; I think it's 208cc and 7.5 hp.  The Deluxe 24 I'm looking at has a 254cc 9hp engine.  Sounds like it shouldn't have a problem, then.

For comparison, my old 20" Ariens ST 2+2 has a 148 cc 5 hp engine and used its augur (which has rubber shoes on it) to drag itself through the snow.  It has lawnmower wheels.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 10:47:43 PM »
So I've settled on the Ariens 921045 Deluxe 24" snow thrower. I'm sure that the Toro would have worked perfectly well, and I think the Quick Stick chute control would have been very nice, but the decision came down to the larger tires, larger impeller, dual belts and all-steel construction on the Ariens.

I'll call and make the purchase tomorrow.  I'm going to take advantage of a 12-month deferred interest offer, which I will use to pay it off in 11 monthly installments.  Hopefully I can schedule delivery for next week.  And hopefully it doesn't snow before then!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:49:44 PM by The Latinist »

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 09:48:10 AM »
That thing looks awesome.  I have tire envy.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »
That thing looks awesome.  I have tire envy.

Indeed.  Those are 16" tires with awesome directional tread; the Toro's 13" tires, while I'm sure perfectly adequate, do not inspire tire envy.

personate-rain
personate-rain