Author Topic: The DIY Repair Thread  (Read 8249 times)

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Re: The DIY Repair Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »
If you are trying to go green - How about an electric mower ?
My parents had one years ago that plugged in but I think most are battery today.

goat  ;) :laugh:
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2019, 03:20:26 PM »
My parents had one years ago that plugged in but I think most are battery today.

goat  ;) :laugh:

I asked a friend if he could loan me his goats (I don't ant to keep them) but he does not want to do that
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2019, 05:23:05 PM »

Actually, a few years ago I did briefly own a corded mower - never used it, discovered in the manual that it was not for extension cords over 50 feet. My yard needs a longer cord than that, and there was no AWG they listed as acceptable for a longer cord. IIRC, the Scott's Classic reel mower was the next thing I tried (failed to return it within the return period, so I still have it as my backup, though it sure seems like the Honda engine won't need one).

As for batteries, yes, I could have gone there, but I'm not fond of them. IME rechargeables deteriorate in capacity over time (e.g., lithium ion loses ~ 50% in a laptop after 3 yrs), replacements of non-standard sizes aren't always available by the time you need them (or aren't nearly as good as the original), and IIRC they're not all that environmentally friendly if you consider the whole process from production to decommissioning (not just the energy during use). Maybe still more than gasoline, IDK. but the potential obsolescence factor turned me off. Thanks for the reminder though - maybe someday it'll be more of a clear winner both environmentally and economically.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2019, 05:38:21 PM »
Had to buy a pair of snap ring pliers to get my mower apart.  Amazing how much easier the right tool will make a job.  Once disassembled, I decided there was no way I was going to be able adequately to straighten the axle, so I picked up a new transmission today.  I’m going to try to straighten the front shield enough to reinstall it, and I’m going to try one last time to re-profile the  blade with an angle grinder.  I’ll keep you informed.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:41 PM »
Completed the repair.  Things were starting to look a little rusty, so I cleaned all the hardware up with a wire brush and steel wool, then soaked it in motor oil. Reassembled, replacing the transmission in the process.  Hammered the bent guard back into shape.  Everything looks in pretty good shape.

Didn’t feel up to tackling the blade tonight and, since I won’t be using the mower until this weekend, I might just order a new blade instead.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
Today I learned that the reason lawnmower blades are shipped dull as a butter knife is that they’re meant to be used that way.  Any sharper and they will dull faster, chip if they hit anything, etc. To be honest, this explains a lot of my past lawnmower blade experience.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
Huh. TIL.

If I ever have a lawn again I'll keep that in mind.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »
Today I learned that the reason lawnmower blades are shipped dull as a butter knife is that they’re meant to be used that way.  Any sharper and they will dull faster, chip if they hit anything, etc. To be honest, this explains a lot of my past lawnmower blade experience.

My blades start with a thick dull edge and get "sharper" with use. New blades definitely cut better.

New blade on the right...

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2019, 04:31:46 PM »
Just bought myself a Father’s Day gift: Milwaukee M12 Fuel Hammer Drill and Impact Driver set.  I’ve borrowed a brushed M12 impact driver and absolutely loved it, and by all accounts the brushless M12 Fuel ones are even better.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Combo-Kits/2-Piece-Kits/2598-22

personate-rain
personate-rain