Author Topic: The DIY Repair Thread  (Read 10354 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
Re: The DIY Repair Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2019, 09:44:10 PM »
That brings up a question - I can get a torque wrench on eBay for ~$25. Is it worth it?

I think that depends on the tolerance for torque precision and accuracy you are after.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2019, 10:18:39 PM »
Good point.  For something like a torque wrench I might spring for a new one.  You won’t have any idea how a used one has been stored or abused.  You can get a new 1/2” Tekton for ~$37
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2019, 11:56:19 AM »
simple one here but I fixed a hose that had a broken male end by just cutting it off and using one of these.

I didn't know it existed and I had gone to the store to buy a new hose.  Saved me 40 bucks.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2019, 02:06:04 PM »
Bought a mountain bike at a thrift store last week for $20.
Did not notice that it had a broken spoke and a bent spoke.
Both are in the front and I suspect that something hit them.
Did not ride it at the time because both tires were flat.

Called the nearest bike shop (40 minutes away) and they want $25 + cost of spoke.

Didn't want to spend a lot of money on a $20 bike so decided to do it myself.
I know I will never get the true exactly right but thought I could get close.
Watched a few YouTube videos to see how it is done.

Measured the spoke on the rim with the tire still on. A little worried but seem to have done OK.
Ordered the plastic tools to remove the tire, a spoke tightener, and a four pack of spokes.
Everything cost about $12 (Got everything on eBay).

It actually was pretty easy to replace the two spokes.
Replaced the broken one and then replaced the bent one.
Used the front brakes to true the wheel.
Even if money was not an object, took less time to do it myself than driving to the shop and back.

Just finished riding it a couple of miles up and back.
Can look at the front wheel and the true is really close.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:10:14 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »
Bought a mountain bike at a thrift store last week for $20.
Did not notice that it had a broken spoke and a bent spoke.
Both are in the front and I suspect that something hit them.

Next you should try bearing maintenance... very satisfying.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2019, 06:42:06 PM »
I would get a beam style torque wrench. The other ones are easier to use but need to be calibrated.

Beam style

Other style

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2019, 09:26:30 PM »
So I used my power trimmer without issue for about half an hour, but when I filled the tank and went to restart it, fuel started pouring out of the air filter.  I’m thinking that’s not a good sign.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »
Visiting my mom.  She springs on me that lights in about 1/3 of her house are out.  Have been, apparently, for weeks.  She’s been using lamps plugged into outlets. Fortunately, most of her ceilings are unfinished, which gives easy access to the wiring.  Unfortunately, she’s been hanging her clothes from the wires for years.  Sigh.

The whole house was wired by my father, who had a high school physics class understanding of electrical circuits and no knowledge whatsoever of codes.  To be fair, there was no Internet to look such things op on in those days, and it’s served my them/her well for 45 years.  But its virtually impossible to make heads or tails of the snarl of wires in my mom’s basement, and nothing in the panel is labeled.

An electrician would tell her the whole house needs to be rewired (which is probably true).  So I’m going to be doing some handyman electrics on what was meant to be my vacation.  Fortunately, she told me before I left home, so I brought some tools.  But I think I’m going to need to buy a multimeter to sort this shit out without electrocuting myself.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
The DIY Repair Thread
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »
There are also circuit tracers that could be a big help. 

Three phase AC can be a challenge even for electricians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:06:05 PM by xenu »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »

When I remodeled my downstairs I almost called in an electrician because of the rats nest of wires when they put in the canned light. I eventually stripped everything out down to the basic circuits and the whole thing made more sense. I still have a hard time with three way light switches even after doing 3 or 4 of them in my house.
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2019, 03:50:57 PM »
I bought a simple voltage tester instead of a multimeter (I already have a multimeter and my mom has no use for one), and my plan is to turn off the mains, disconnect everything at the light switch, and replace everything from there out.  This way I’ll only have to leave the mains off while I’m actually working in the switch box.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2019, 05:52:46 PM »
Don't know about there but here in Oz electrical work not done by a licensed electrician can result in a voiding of home insurance policy.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2019, 07:46:38 PM »
Don't know about there but here in Oz electrical work not done by a licensed electrician can result in a voiding of home insurance policy.

Here an electrical fire caused by faulty wiring that isn’t done in in accordance with codes can result in a denied claim.  The mere fact that the wiring was not done by an electrician should not. The wiring I’m doing will be far safer than what’s there, none of which was done by a licensed electrician, so I’m not going to worry.

personate-rain