Author Topic: The DIY Repair Thread  (Read 913 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: The DIY Repair Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 02:09:31 PM »
Hasn't Apple been notoriously stingy about providing "consumer access" to their internal parts?

Yeah, but my experience was with an independent store that didn't know, or didn't want to tell me, that my problem could be solved with a $40 dongle, telling me instead that I had to buy a logic board that effectively was the same price as a new computer. Apple's bad for putting the Ethernet on the logic board (though there were probably reasons for it) but not Apple's doing that the store did not tell me that there was a very cheap and perfectly effective work-around.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
Daniel: I bet you underestimate yourself.  The skills required to repair my washing machine were the ability to use Google, to read and follow directions, and to use a 1/4” socket (a wrench also would have worked) and a Phillips screwdriver.

I was going to add that there are a lot of really useful YouTube videos as well . When I can watch somebody actually do something, instead of written directs or just pictures, it is often much easier.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »
Most of the time doing a job is confidence.  I know guys that will tear into a 737 no problem but are afraid to work on their car.

And yes Latinist YouTube is great for that.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »
Daniel: I bet you underestimate yourself.  The skills required to repair my washing machine were the ability to use Google, to read and follow directions, and to use a 1/4” socket (a wrench also would have worked) and a Phillips screwdriver.

I was going to add that there are a lot of really useful YouTube videos as well . When I can watch somebody actually do something, instead of written directs or just pictures, it is often much easier.

That's a good point.  I was able to watch a YouTube video of a professional replacing the exact same part (part number and all) before I started.

Most of the time doing a job is confidence.  I know guys that will tear into a 737 no problem but are afraid to work on their car.

This. I grew up watching my father tackle every task that needed to be done around the house—the only thing I can ever remember him hiring anyone to do was install gas lines and service the oil boiler.  I developed a complete lack of a sense that there was anything around the house that I couldn't do.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:30:26 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »

And yes Latinist YouTube is great for that.

I sure hope the guys working on the 737's I fly on are not relying on YouTube videos to figure out how to do the repairs.  ;)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
You forget how many resources there are, really, for DIY.

We have an old County school used for "Adult Lifelong Learning" or "Continuing Ed" center. This is not the same as the VoTech, the University or the Business College we also have. It is used for things like Low Pressure boiler (re)certification, chairside dental assistant certification, job rehab/retraining, and High School graduation equivalency training and testing. You also can take a class on sprinkler repair, basic tiling and flooring, electrical lamp and appliance repair, home brewing, Thai cooking, Tai Chi, ski season prep, etc. I taught there for 8 years, and taught two classes of Windows Fundamentals. I had a box of misc parts to use for show-and-tell, which gave people an understanding of what is "in that box" and how simple it all is, really.

I learned to upholster at a similar school.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 01:44:00 AM »
About a week ago, replaced my storm door. The previous one was a fiberboard core and water got at the fiberboard. Replaced with an aluminum storm door. Interestingly, it was designed to be able to be mounted on either side. Just had to drill a few holes.

Had my roommates help. He wanted to just try to hold the door while the holes were marked. I finally had to argue to put some wood under the door so it would be more stable while I marked the holes.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Jaloopa

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2017, 05:41:35 AM »
I need to do some work on my bicycle. When I started cycling into work earlier this year I took it to Halfords (well known chain in the UK that sell and repair bikes among other things). They were meant to do a service on it so I'd be confident that after years in various sheds it would be ready roadworthy, safe and working nicely.

Within a week, the front brake had failed. I took it back and told them to sort it. They did and a few days later it went again, followed by the back brake. Having your only brake stop working while going downhill towards a busy junction is not nice. Luckily I had the space and thick enough soles on my shoes to stop in time. Needless to say, I got a refund and bought the parts to repair the brakes myself.

Now the gears need looking at. The front sprocket seems a bit worn, and is slipping when on the lowest gear. Getting into the highest is also a bit of an artform as the cable needs adjusting. I was OK with that but after being out in heavy frost the last few nights, the cable to the rear sprocket has gone completely leaving me with two gears which take far too much work to switch between.

I haven't done any real bicycle maintenance beyond keeping tyres inflated and the brake repair I mentioned since I was in school, so it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. the other problem is that I'm at work all day so won't have any daylight to spend on it so I might have to suffer for the rest of the week and then have a look while I'm off for Christmas

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »
I need to do some work on my bicycle. When I started cycling into work earlier this year I took it to Halfords (well known chain in the UK that sell and repair bikes among other things). They were meant to do a service on it so I'd be confident that after years in various sheds it would be ready roadworthy, safe and working nicely.

Within a week, the front brake had failed. I took it back and told them to sort it. They did and a few days later it went again, followed by the back brake. Having your only brake stop working while going downhill towards a busy junction is not nice. Luckily I had the space and thick enough soles on my shoes to stop in time. Needless to say, I got a refund and bought the parts to repair the brakes myself.

Now the gears need looking at. The front sprocket seems a bit worn, and is slipping when on the lowest gear. Getting into the highest is also a bit of an artform as the cable needs adjusting. I was OK with that but after being out in heavy frost the last few nights, the cable to the rear sprocket has gone completely leaving me with two gears which take far too much work to switch between.

I haven't done any real bicycle maintenance beyond keeping tyres inflated and the brake repair I mentioned since I was in school, so it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. the other problem is that I'm at work all day so won't have any daylight to spend on it so I might have to suffer for the rest of the week and then have a look while I'm off for Christmas

There is a bike thread on this BB. You could go there to get some ideas and input. Not that it sounds like you need it just an FYI.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams