Author Topic: The DIY Repair Thread  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: The DIY Repair Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2018, 11:10:55 PM »
I have two jobs I want to do tomorrow
1. Redo the silicone for the bulkheads of my kayak
2. clean the gutters out on my house.
I get on the roof and use the leaf blower. I have ~120m of gutters.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2018, 07:52:58 PM »
We have had a lot of rain recently and the stuff in the gutters was wet. I had to first remove what I could by hand and then sprayed it down with a water hose. Might try to put screen on the gutters. 

The silicone I had was hardened so ended up getting some marine sealant at Lowes. I have resealed one of the bulkheads but not the other. Could not get the calking gun in to get all areas so ended up using a strip of plastic to put it on by hand to get some areas.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline HighPockets

• Double-Plus Poster
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »
Ice maker dispenser stopped working. The door opens and then closes so the ice does not come out. When I hold open the door to the ice despenser it works fine. Must be a switch or something I need to research the problem.

Could be worse...or better....

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2018, 05:18:09 AM »
We have had a lot of rain recently and the stuff in the gutters was wet. I had to first remove what I could by hand and then sprayed it down with a water hose. Might try to put screen on the gutters.
Yeah I wait until it's been dry for bit but even so, the blower I have is powerful enough to blow the wet crap out. I won't go up unless the roof is dry. Too risky otherwise.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
Yeah I wait until it's been dry for bit but even so, the blower I have is powerful enough to blow the wet crap out. I won't go up unless the roof is dry. Too risky otherwise.

Uhg stop with the leaf talk it reminds me of what is coming in a few months  ;)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »

Probably going to try to get leaf guards in by that time.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2018, 01:52:28 PM »
I am currently taking out a drop in stove and replacing it with a slide in stove.  I have cut up the countertop and the moulding, and removed the old stove.  Last thing to do is put a plug in.  (The current stove is just spliced and twisted onto the powerline).

Also, anyone know a durable, yet reasonable floor covering for a bathroom.  Mine currently has carpet.   :P
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it
If no one seems to understand
Start your own revolution and cut out the middleman

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2018, 02:42:47 PM »
Mine currently has carpet.   :P

:wth: :wth: :wth:

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »
I am currently taking out a drop in stove and replacing it with a slide in stove.  I have cut up the countertop and the moulding, and removed the old stove.  Last thing to do is put a plug in.  (The current stove is just spliced and twisted onto the powerline).

Also, anyone know a durable, yet reasonable floor covering for a bathroom.  Mine currently has carpet.   :P

Vinyl tile; some looks like wood. Or linoleum. Our kitchen and bathroom linoleum have lasted 15 years, the floor they replaced (parquet) lated about 3 years, thanks to a couple water leaks.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Yeah, vinyl tile is the cheapest and easiest to install provided you have a good subfloor.  I did ceramic tile in my bathroom, but it's a lot of work.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2018, 10:52:31 PM »
I hear good things about cork, but figure there must be a mouldy side?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2018, 04:18:54 AM »

On my last house I tried a couple of different leaf guard systems.

My experience was not great.

If the guard system was good enough to keep the leaves out it meant that moderate to heavy rain water just flowed straight over the gutter and was not drained away.

If the guard was such that it still caught and drained moderate to heavy rain, it was useless at keeping the leaves out.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2018, 05:59:06 AM »

On my last house I tried a couple of different leaf guard systems.

My experience was not great.

If the guard system was good enough to keep the leaves out it meant that moderate to heavy rain water just flowed straight over the gutter and was not drained away.

If the guard was such that it still caught and drained moderate to heavy rain, it was useless at keeping the leaves out.

they make a robot that will do it for you

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RTSAPK/?tag=whois03-20

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2018, 08:03:47 PM »
they make a robot that will do it for you

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RTSAPK/?tag=whois03-20

My gutters have braces inside the gutter that would stop it from moving. The videos show them going under the braces on the gutters they clean but that's only for those sorts of gutters.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »
Yeah, there’s no way that would go through my gutters.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain