Author Topic: The DIY Repair Thread  (Read 6271 times)

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Re: The DIY Repair Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
I have a question
One of my bathrooms is fairly small so having only one pair of outlet is not an issue
I also have a larger bathroom as well and it only have a pair of outlets as well.
Is that normal for larger bathrooms?

I think that in the past this was very normal; bathrooms were not really a hub for technology or small appliances.  But that’s been changing, and If I we’re building a new house I’d want to make sure there were several outlets in each bathroom.

That is a problem with all older homes. My house was built in the 70's and I'm always in need of a wall socket. I have when I have remodeled rooms added outlets. My house also has wall outlets tied in with a wall switch. This was very popular back then. So my rooms have no overhead lights(except were added later) and its set up for floor lamps. This cuts in half the wall outlets that I do have. You mentioned your bathroom and now I'm kicking myself for not adding outlets in my main bathroom when I remodeled.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
We remodelled our foyer a while back. The result was an outlet positioned behind a new shoe-rack.Over the last few days I moved it from inside the foyer to outside, about 2m away, under the staris that lead up to the front door. The new GFCI outlet is installed and working, powering our Christmas lights.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2019, 06:43:00 AM »
I have a Black and Decker 18 v NiCad powered Drill / screw driver and a lawn trimmer.

Black and Decker appears to have dropped all support for them even though they were touted as universal. Black and decker instead went a 20 v Lithium Ion battery that is not compatible.

You can get aftermarket batteries but we seem to be in a situation where the company expects you to replace all your equipment. I have seen corded drills that are probably 40 or 50 years old and people still use them. I don't see why these NiCad tools cannot be around for decades but I am concerned with aftermarket support drying up.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2019, 09:41:16 AM »
I have a Black and Decker 18 v NiCad powered Drill / screw driver and a lawn trimmer.

Black and Decker appears to have dropped all support for them even though they were touted as universal. Black and decker instead went a 20 v Lithium Ion battery that is not compatible.

You can get aftermarket batteries but we seem to be in a situation where the company expects you to replace all your equipment. I have seen corded drills that are probably 40 or 50 years old and people still use them. I don't see why these NiCad tools cannot be around for decades but I am concerned with aftermarket support drying up.
On the upside, I got my perfectly servicable 18v drill for free.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2019, 11:29:03 AM »
You can take apart the batteries if they go bad and replace the component batteries with much cheaper off the shelf versions. There are YouTube’s showing you how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2019, 11:31:24 AM »
One of the problems is that lithium ion batteries are so clearly superior to NiCd batteries for this purpose that all manufacturers have rapidly switched to the technology and eliminated their NiCd offerings. And there simply isn't any money in maintaining an infrastructure to support obsolete tech.  It's kind of like VHS and DVD that way.

I'm in the same position, with older 18V NiCd tools for which OEM batteries are no longer available.  My plan is to replace them with new Milwaukee 12V Li-ion ones.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2019, 06:15:00 AM »

On the upside, I got my perfectly servicable 18v drill for free.

I was given a free 14 V drill myself in addition to the 18 v ones I already have but none of the batteries I was given will hold a charge.  Ordered an aftermarket off of eBay. I ordered a new charger as well and it came with a 14 v that does hold a charge but best to have at least 2. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain